HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 04:11 PM
radian 4700
Canada, QC, Saint-Hyacinthe
Joined May 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
You do use a cell phone don't you? That has more radiation than FPV equipment you are concerned with

-Alex
thanks Alex !!!
francoishaha is offline Find More Posts by francoishaha
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 11:45 PM
Now what?
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by francoishaha View Post
I am using the fatshark google with the integrated receiver and i wonder if there is any danger using this equipment so close to the head... anyone got a clue?
I might add that the goggles aren't transmitting anything either. Now if you had your video TX strapped to your head, then your brains would surely be scrambled.
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Old May 03, 2012, 07:24 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Just hit a PB on my 5 turn 5.8g helical! Out to 3 klm! Footage was crystal clear on both the helical and a SPW with a 200mw Vtx on ET eagle eyes diversity!

Video up later on.
Wow!! I tested SPW with helical and the range I was getting was better than that of CL with Helical. The test was done in an urban area with lots of tall buildings.
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan
Old May 03, 2012, 07:37 AM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan View Post
Wow!! I tested SPW with helical and the range I was getting was better than that of CL with Helical. The test was done in an urban area with lots of tall buildings.
Are you saying you used a SPW on the TX and Heli on the RX?
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old May 03, 2012, 07:41 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,223 Posts
Hi Alex, Hugo said the crosshair will bring you far if it is used on the VTX. Would the helical do the same? And which CP antenna would be best suited on the VRX in such a configuration?
Old May 03, 2012, 07:47 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark View Post
Are you saying you used a SPW on the TX and Heli on the RX?
Helical on VRX that was moving with me on ground... SPW sticking out of window on the 17th floor and clusters of buildings surrounding it but the path I was walking had a narrow LOS to where the SPW was.
Old May 07, 2012, 02:39 PM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Hey Guys,

Has anyone done a to metric conversion of the measurement for 1280mhz, If so could you pass on the measurements/dimensions.
Thanks!

J
flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old May 08, 2012, 12:04 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,223 Posts
It's on the first page. . Multiply those inch dimensions by 25.4 to get metric in mm
Old May 08, 2012, 10:23 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,055 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm pulling together the parts to make one of these, but I'm stuck at finding something for the reflector. I've got lots of sheet steel and aluminium lying around, but nothing "solderable"

Would there be a problem in soldering a battery tab to the feedline shield, and bolting or riveting that to an aluminium reflector? Would it work as well?

Subsonic.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old May 09, 2012, 12:44 AM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Hi guys,

I'm pulling together the parts to make one of these, but I'm stuck at finding something for the reflector. I've got lots of sheet steel and aluminium lying around, but nothing "solderable"

Would there be a problem in soldering a battery tab to the feedline shield, and bolting or riveting that to an aluminium reflector? Would it work as well?

Subsonic.
I dont know if it works as well but it does work fine. Aluminium is way better to use than steel anyway. I checked the rf charts when I was looking at making a SPW out of stainless steel and found s/s, mild steel and the like suck for emitting rf signals. Copper is best and aluminium is not far behind. It is solderable too if you do a search on soldering aluminium but I found it quick and easy to bolt the shield straight to the plate.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old May 09, 2012, 02:35 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,055 Posts
Hmm.

My SPW and Cloverleaf are made from copper coated steel wire (MIG wire). I've since purchased a roll of 12AWG copper wire to make this helical, but I wonder how much the steel wire effects the performance of my other two antennas?

Sub
Old May 09, 2012, 10:38 AM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
I'm trying to find the right copper wire to make a 5.8ghz helical. I'm looking for approx. 1mm diameter wire but cant seem to find any that is not insulated. What kind of wire should I be asking for at the hardware store (U.S.)?
wannabe is online now Find More Posts by wannabe
Old May 09, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Apr 2006
475 Posts
18 gauge solid core wire is about 1mm in diameter. Just get a short piece of insulated wire and strip it. I used 14ga Romex and stripped it for a 2.4GHz helix.
mark963 is offline Find More Posts by mark963
Old May 09, 2012, 08:46 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,055 Posts
I bought this 12AWG to make my helical: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280863276...84.m1497.l2649

They have shorter lengths and thinner guages for cheaper too.
Old May 09, 2012, 09:48 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
I found some bare copper that is rated as 14THHN. It looks like 18AWG but I don't know the difference. It will work fine.

Also K&S Metals sells small sheets of .025 thick copper for about $8.
wannabe is online now Find More Posts by wannabe