HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 31, 2011, 02:09 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,477 Posts
got a link for that maybe ?
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:04 AM
Up up and away!
FpvKiwi's Avatar
Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I use rg316 for cloverleafs and Skew-wheels. I use RG58/U for helicals.
I haven't seen discussed anywhere how you assemble the SMA contacts? I've seen crimp pliers for RG58 for $20-30 but for RG174/RG316 it's $60 and something that can handle both goes for $140.
Can I use a Tongue-and-groove pliers instead? Or is there an alternative way?

PS.
Thanks alot for all support you're giving the community, Alex. I ordered a few antennas from you and gained the confidence to go on to build my own, all thanks to you.
FpvKiwi is offline Find More Posts by FpvKiwi
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:13 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Do it the cheap way and buy some SMA jumpers and cut them. Check Ebay. They have them for cheap. Cheaper than I can make them for, actually.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:14 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
got a link for that maybe ?
This is what I use: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1&ddkey=Search
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:16 AM
Up up and away!
FpvKiwi's Avatar
Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Do it the cheap way and buy some SMA jumpers and cut them. Check Ebay. They have them for cheap. Cheaper than I can make them for, actually.
Good idea if I hadn't already ordered all those contacts. I also want to replace the contacts on some older antenna cables.
FpvKiwi is offline Find More Posts by FpvKiwi
Last edited by FpvKiwi; Jun 01, 2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added quote
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2011, 03:55 AM
Registered User
CrocEnd's Avatar
Darwin
Joined Aug 2002
701 Posts
IBC Gy'da

The wire you mention mig welding wire you use for what antennas

Thanx
CrocEnd is offline Find More Posts by CrocEnd
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:01 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocEnd View Post
IBC Gy'da

The wire you mention mig welding wire you use for what antennas

Thanx
These: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388264

Combine with a helical and prepare to be amazed. -Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:33 AM
Air Crash Expert
sawman's Avatar
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FpvKiwi View Post
Good idea if I hadn't already ordered all those contacts. I also want to replace the contacts on some older antenna cables.
Tin your wire and solder the center contact. We use crimp type contacts where I work, but we also touch it with a bit of solder in the "witness" hole to ensure better electrical contact and they won't pull loose. We also add stiff heat shrink over the shield crimp for added strain relief.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2011, 05:50 AM
FPV from Lithuania
vipix's Avatar
Lithuania
Joined Mar 2007
128 Posts
Can you look at my new 5-turn 5,8ghz helical?
It`s good?
Mounted on receiver with magnets, next photo is my tripod GS.
vipix is offline Find More Posts by vipix
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:31 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
That looks really good! I see you are using the Hecker match. This is how I match my 5.8GHz units as well.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:47 AM
FPV from Lithuania
vipix's Avatar
Lithuania
Joined Mar 2007
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
That looks really good! I see you are using the Hecker match. This is how I match my 5.8GHz units as well.

-Alex
Thanks Alex,
By yours recomendations i used Heckers match.
I need cable and will test it out.
vipix is offline Find More Posts by vipix
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:21 AM
Registered User
GregSilver's Avatar
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Actually, either works fine. This antenna is VERY wideband (as in +/- 80MHz).
-Alex

With channels:
CH1: 5705 CH2:5685 CH3:5665 CH4:5645 CH5:5885 CH6:5905 CH7:5925 CH8:5945

The average CH freq is 5795. The range is outside of the +/- 80MHz.

Should I be tuning for a specific channel in this case?
GregSilver is offline Find More Posts by GregSilver
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:42 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
If you want to use a specific channel, you can tune it. It's up to you.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2011, 12:01 PM
Registered User
GregSilver's Avatar
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
If you want to use a specific channel, you can tune it. It's up to you.
IBCrazy, I appreciate you answering back. I know you get a lot of stupid questions, but the question I asked wasnt answered in the manner I was asking. Probably due to the way I asked it.....

The average CH freq is 5795. The range is outside of the +/- 80MHz.

With the foxtech channel selection having a greater range in frequency than 80MHz, should I tune the Helical antenna to 5795MHz (average of ALL of the channels) or to a specific channel?

One other question. I can CNC the stub/transformer/etc part, so what would be the best to use?

The measurements for 5.8GHz is pretty odd. 6 turns = 3" tall with 0.5" pitch with a 1.26" radius....which seems super easy to make.
GregSilver is offline Find More Posts by GregSilver
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2011, 01:49 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSilver View Post
IBCrazy, I appreciate you answering back. I know you get a lot of stupid questions, but the question I asked wasnt answered in the manner I was asking. Probably due to the way I asked it.....

The average CH freq is 5795. The range is outside of the +/- 80MHz.

With the foxtech channel selection having a greater range in frequency than 80MHz, should I tune the Helical antenna to 5795MHz (average of ALL of the channels) or to a specific channel?

One other question. I can CNC the stub/transformer/etc part, so what would be the best to use?

The measurements for 5.8GHz is pretty odd. 6 turns = 3" tall with 0.5" pitch with a 1.26" radius....which seems super easy to make.
I guess what I was saying is that it's always best to try and tune your antenna to the exact frequency you plan to use, but if you plan to use all of the channels on your 5.8GHz system, then you probably are best tuning it right to the center of the band.

I would continue to use the hecker match. The reason is that the clearance of the other matching types is very hard to measure no matter how accurately the stub is machined.

I make my 10 turn helicals around a 5/8" dowel rod and it comes out to 6-1/4" tall.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Circular-polarized Patch Antenna for 5,8 GHz Lonestar78 FPV Talk 22 Oct 15, 2011 04:46 PM
Discussion Left/Right circular polarized antenna ? SpookiePower FPV Talk 44 Jun 04, 2011 06:41 PM
For Sale 2.4 gh 8 dbi patch antenna $10 norberto83 FPV Equipment (FS/W) 1 Dec 03, 2010 07:44 PM
Question 30 dBi Grid Antenna matyou FPV Talk 7 Nov 14, 2010 10:32 PM
Discussion Anyone tried building a helical antenna for FPV? Bill Sanford FPV Talk 20 Nov 04, 2010 06:48 PM