HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 21, 2011, 12:36 AM
Registered User
Toysrme's Avatar
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts


LoL niiiiice!




Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
For some reason I can't stop thinking about moonshine...
thinking the exact same thing myself!
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 08:54 PM
Post # 20 million
Kev.au's Avatar
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Ground crew approves of new antenna .






Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Last edited by Kev.au; May 24, 2011 at 12:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 09:19 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,631 Posts
On your website you have the 7.5 DBI and 9.5dbi antenna...

What is the approximate pattern for these? Like in degree width?

And, are there any specs as for size? I need to know if they'll fit in my GS.


Thanks! -Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 09:45 PM
Post # 20 million
Kev.au's Avatar
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Flyboy, i have the 9.5dbi in the picture above your post.

White = 15cm
Blue = 13cm

It's smaller than it looks, i was surprised when i received mine , my old patch looks huge next to the Helical.


Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 11:16 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,453 Posts
900MHx helicals are huge, especially the 5 turn. The base is 12" square and it's 16" tall for 900MHz.

1.3 is significantly smaller. A 9.5 dbic is as Kevin's dimensions show.

As for beam width, the 9.5 has a beam of between 55 and 60 degrees. The range on Kevin's setup is incredible. Something tells me we are going to see some long range vids from him soon.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 06:57 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,631 Posts
And Kevin, you're on 1.2, right?

I think I'll be sticking to 1.2 for now, and ordering a 1000mW LM combo so I can really get some nice quality stuff. Once my DL comes in.... Long range here I come
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 07:04 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,218 Posts
Kev.au

(lots of questions here ) :-)

.....your using CL with the VidTx? and only 1 Vidrx/helical?

no diversity?....also

with the Helical.... are you guys flying like a Patch antenna "pattern".....

(in front of the antenna?)..... I ask because, since the VidTx has a Clover Leaf,
it transmit in all directions, but the VidRx with a Helica can only have a radiation pattern
like a spray can direction......
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 07:45 PM
Post # 20 million
Kev.au's Avatar
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
And Kevin, you're on 1.2, right?

I think I'll be sticking to 1.2 for now, and ordering a 1000mW LM combo so I can really get some nice quality stuff. Once my DL comes in.... Long range here I come
2.4ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
Kev.au

(lots of questions here ) :-)

.....your using CL with the VidTx? and only 1 Vidrx/helical?

no diversity?....also

with the Helical.... are you guys flying like a Patch antenna "pattern".....

(in front of the antenna?)..... I ask because, since the VidTx has a Clover Leaf,
it transmit in all directions, but the VidRx with a Helica can only have a radiation pattern
like a spray can direction......
Yes, we plan to just test with the Helical and CL, if i'm happy with the results i'll add another CL to the other Vidrx and use diversity.

We haven't flown with this set up yet.

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 07:47 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,631 Posts
Crap! If that's 2.4, 1.2 will be twice as big, correct?

I'm really on the wall as to whether I should go 2.4 or stick with 1.2.

As of now I've only got one VTX/RX on 1.2 and the blubeam combo, so I could easily switch over.

Only problem is, is it worth it

Alex, are there any other CP antennas you're working on that will do as good as the helix? Like any CP patches or anything similiar?

I thought there was... checking
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 07:51 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,631 Posts
Found it

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....e-Quad-antenna
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 09:39 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Crap! If that's 2.4, 1.2 will be twice as big, correct?

I'm really on the wall as to whether I should go 2.4 or stick with 1.2.

As of now I've only got one VTX/RX on 1.2 and the blubeam combo, so I could easily switch over.

Only problem is, is it worth it

Alex, are there any other CP antennas you're working on that will do as good as the helix? Like any CP patches or anything similiar?

I thought there was... checking
CP patches are coming. I actually have about 10 or so sitting on my shelves at home. I am building up an inventory before I launch the product line. Why wait? 2 reasons:

1. I hate having people wait excessively long times because I can't keep up with production, so I need to build an inventory to eliminate this wait.

2. It's only a matter of time before someone rips me off (again). When they do, it's an open door for me to introduce the next best thing and keep the dishonest competition from screwing over everyone (Range video Vee is one example of this). Rip-offs seldom perform half as well as the original and they never seem to care to correct their defects.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 10:14 AM
Registered FPVer :)
markus123456's Avatar
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
CP patches are coming. I actually have about 10 or so sitting on my shelves at home. I am building up an inventory before I launch the product line. Why wait? 2 reasons:

1. I hate having people wait excessively long times because I can't keep up with production, so I need to build an inventory to eliminate this wait.

2. It's only a matter of time before someone rips me off (again). When they do, it's an open door for me to introduce the next best thing and keep the dishonest competition from screwing over everyone (Range video Vee is one example of this). Rip-offs seldom perform half as well as the original and they never seem to care to correct their defects.

-Alex
Err Alex...

I don't know if you mainly refer to other stuff (diverstiy may comes to mind and I think there you have a point), but antannas? Common, the Vee antenna, as well as the helical and SPW CP patches etc. etc. All of those are described in the major HAM radio antenna books. I just passed my HAM class (no call sign yet as the authorities need a couple of weeks here to do this) and we even learned about the vee and helicals even as part of this class and we did not really delved deep into the antenna topic....

Do I miss understand you here?

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 10:21 AM
Registered User
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Amateur Radio Markus.
You are right, all these antenna's were known to the ham radio community long before FPV took an interest in them.
Even the CP S-P was know some 40 years ago - it was just re-discovered because of it's great possibility for FPV work.

Will you be licenced for HF or just VHF Markus?

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 10:44 AM
Registered FPVer :)
markus123456's Avatar
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonboy View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of Amateur Radio Markus.
You are right, all these antenna's were known to the ham radio community long before FPV took an interest in them.
Even the CP S-P was know some 40 years ago - it was just re-discovered because of it's great possibility for FPV work.

Will you be licenced for HF or just VHF Markus?

Nigel.
Both, HF and VHF. I'm currently trying to find my field of interest. Morse apeals me, or in other words, getting as far as possible with the simplest setup. I'm aware that PSK31 could get me further but again, the simpleness of morse code apeals me. I also would like to build my own transciver but as a start I bought a Icom-ic92. The latter however mostly to comunicate with the friends I made during the class.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 11:55 AM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,218 Posts
CP Patchs vs CP Helicals?

what is the main difference? I'm using a CloverLeaf on the VidTx and SPW on my VidRx.

I want to use diversity on my VidRx and just wanting to know if I should
get one of each on the Diversity? what is the overall good combo on the VidRx end using Diversity?
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Left/Right circular polarized antenna ? SpookiePower FPV Talk 49 Oct 15, 2014 09:23 AM
Discussion Circular-polarized Patch Antenna for 5,8 GHz Lonestar78 FPV Talk 22 Oct 15, 2011 04:46 PM
For Sale 2.4 gh 8 dbi patch antenna $10 norberto83 FPV Equipment (FS/W) 1 Dec 03, 2010 07:44 PM
Question 30 dBi Grid Antenna matyou FPV Talk 7 Nov 14, 2010 10:32 PM
Discussion Anyone tried building a helical antenna for FPV? Bill Sanford FPV Talk 20 Nov 04, 2010 06:48 PM