HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 02, 2011, 01:19 PM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
Wizzard033's Avatar
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I have a tracker, but never use it. I had it on demonstration at the SouthEastern fly-in as it would track anyone's plane regardless of OSD.

I aim my antennas about 50 degrees apart. This increases my coverage.

-Alex
I might just replicate what you already know works.

Are you able to fly behind at any distance say for like an approach?
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2011, 06:13 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard033 View Post
I might just replicate what you already know works.

Are you able to fly behind at any distance say for like an approach?
I have approached them from the side. I never tried from behind, though. The side seems ok.


-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2011, 06:44 PM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
Wizzard033's Avatar
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I have approached them from the side. I never tried from behind, though. The side seems ok.


-Alex
Awsome Alex! Thanx for all the help kind Sir!
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2011, 10:02 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Rancho Palos Verdes
Joined Sep 2010
307 Posts
Guys, I need some help. I just got Alex's kit for my first helical (thanks, Alex). Since this is my first time building an antenna, I thought i would take a baby step and get an ARF rather than the scratch build version.

I'm up to the part where I need to attach the coaxial and can't figure it out after reading the instructions and studying the pictures. I'm using Alex's tapered stub.

1. When attaching the stub to the copper wire, is everyone soldering the connection or gluing? Does it matter? In the pictures, it looks like Alex is both soldering and gluing.

2. The instructions say that the coaxial needs to come through the reflector via a drilled hole but the pictures appear to show it coming off the side. I'm fine with drilling the hole but I don't need the coaxial to come out the back with my setup. So, coaxial out the side or through the reflector?

3. The instructions say that the shielding is supposed to be soldered to the back of the reflector. The back of my reflector, however, is secured to plywood. Do I need to cut off a piece of the plywood to solder the shielding or can I solder the shielding on the front of the reflector (particularly if the wire is coming off the side...see 2 above)?

4. I've never stripped down coaxial before so I'm not sure I've got what is meant by the shielding, the insulation for the center conductor and the center conductor itself but I think I can figure it out when I see it. Any tips?

Thanks, guys.
Infernal Bill is offline Find More Posts by Infernal Bill
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2011, 12:06 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Bill View Post
Guys, I need some help. I just got Alex's kit for my first helical (thanks, Alex). Since this is my first time building an antenna, I thought i would take a baby step and get an ARF rather than the scratch build version.

I'm up to the part where I need to attach the coaxial and can't figure it out after reading the instructions and studying the pictures. I'm using Alex's tapered stub.

1. When attaching the stub to the copper wire, is everyone soldering the connection or gluing? Does it matter? In the pictures, it looks like Alex is both soldering and gluing.

2. The instructions say that the coaxial needs to come through the reflector via a drilled hole but the pictures appear to show it coming off the side. I'm fine with drilling the hole but I don't need the coaxial to come out the back with my setup. So, coaxial out the side or through the reflector?

3. The instructions say that the shielding is supposed to be soldered to the back of the reflector. The back of my reflector, however, is secured to plywood. Do I need to cut off a piece of the plywood to solder the shielding or can I solder the shielding on the front of the reflector (particularly if the wire is coming off the side...see 2 above)?

4. I've never stripped down coaxial before so I'm not sure I've got what is meant by the shielding, the insulation for the center conductor and the center conductor itself but I think I can figure it out when I see it. Any tips?

Thanks, guys.
Solder always!!! I glue the connection to keep the jint from breaking after it is soldered.

You may solder to the front of the reflector and run the cable to the side. That is what I do on most of my builds.

Strip the jacket off the cable with a knife. Once exposed, it's pretty self explanatory.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2011, 09:17 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Rancho Palos Verdes
Joined Sep 2010
307 Posts
Many thanks.

Almost there:

1. When soldering the stub to the copper wire, do I clip the first 1/4 turn of the copper wire and substitute the stub OR do I solder the stub TO the first 1/4 turn of the copper wire? I can't really tell how it's done from the pictures.

2. Is the center conductor soldered to the stub or the copper wire or both?
Infernal Bill is offline Find More Posts by Infernal Bill
Last edited by Infernal Bill; May 05, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2011, 08:26 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
It doesn't matter. You can do it either way. I use the stub as the first 1/4 turn, but you can easily solder the wire the whole way down. It won't affect it much.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2011, 06:00 PM
Kiwi in Germany
whakahere's Avatar
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,289 Posts
Okay after a long thought I have decided to build this antenna at 5.8ghz than the cp bi-quad.

My plan is to mount this on a diversity controller with a spw on one end and the cloverleaf on the plane. (since I know this works)

What materials will I need to buy to build this at 5.8ghz? Shops are closed on Sunday here in Germany so I only have one day to get said material or my weekend of building won't happen

What is the best cable to buy for 5.8ghz? The thickness of wire (I have 0.8mm)? I am thinking of stripping a dipole antenna for the connection to save me having to buy a RP-SMA connector. Will that work well? What is the smartest version to build for range. Right now I am happy with the clear video at 1.3km on the CL/SPW combo but I would like a stronger video from there.

Thanks for the advice anyone has to give.
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2011, 01:04 PM
Kiwi in Germany
whakahere's Avatar
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,289 Posts
here is what I have so far. I just want to check that I have this LHP as my spw and cloverleaf are both left hand.

Please tell me what you think so far. It isn't prefect but I am pretty happy so far.
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2011, 02:43 PM
Kiwi in Germany
whakahere's Avatar
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,289 Posts
Well it is far from prefect. But this is the first antenna that I have ever made. No idea how good it will work ... if it will work at all. What do you guys think? worth plugging it in with power and giving it a go? Don't want to smoke my rx out.

I hope this time someone replies

edit : I plugged it in ... all it is working at least. Looks like I will just have to fly the sucker
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
Last edited by whakahere; May 07, 2011 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2011, 12:30 AM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
mark hitchman's Avatar
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,943 Posts
I reckon you will be sweet to 10km at least with that baby
I have a 6 turn on 1010mhz but I use a V on the plane and it still performs very well. I will be very interested with how you get on.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2011, 02:48 AM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
Wizzard033's Avatar
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
Well it is far from prefect. But this is the first antenna that I have ever made. No idea how good it will work ... if it will work at all. What do you guys think? worth plugging it in with power and giving it a go? Don't want to smoke my rx out.

I hope this time someone replies

edit : I plugged it in ... all it is working at least. Looks like I will just have to fly the sucker
Looks awesome!
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2011, 07:49 AM
Kiwi in Germany
whakahere's Avatar
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
I reckon you will be sweet to 10km at least with that baby
I have a 6 turn on 1010mhz but I use a V on the plane and it still performs very well. I will be very interested with how you get on.

Mark
if I get 10km on my 5.8ghz 200mw system I will lay an egg. Now by crunching the numbers I should be able to get around 11km with a 11 gain antenna but I will settle for just over 8km .... to get my free receiver from BEVRC

I still have a feeling that I will need to remake this antenna to get the real range I want. If I didn't forget to buy some spare parts for my home brew diversity, the weather wasn't as windy, and it wasn't bbq weather aka i've been drinking while out in the garden, I would test this out today. maņana maņana
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2011, 09:05 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
whakahere

hello Whakahere, I've ask a few questions on your other thread.

is it really possible to achieve 8-10km using Foxtech 5.8ghz 200mW VidTx using IBcrazy Clover Leaf antenna,

and now using a 5-6 turn Helical on a 5.8ghz VidRx?
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2011, 09:28 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Rancho Palos Verdes
Joined Sep 2010
307 Posts
Ok, i got mine up and running today and it seems good so far. I'm running at 900mhz. Have a skew planar wheel on the plane. For the past few weeks I've been using my linear biquad and patch on diversity on the ground with excellent results notwithstanding the difference in polarity.

Today, using only my new helical on the ground without diversity, i appeared to have good reception up close (ie within about 600 feet los) but the beam width seemed much more narrow than what I was getting with either of my patch or biquad. Did I do something wrong in the making of the antenna that could narrow normal beam or is normal on the helical relatively narrow?
Infernal Bill is offline Find More Posts by Infernal Bill
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Left/Right circular polarized antenna ? SpookiePower FPV Talk 49 Oct 15, 2014 10:23 AM
Discussion Circular-polarized Patch Antenna for 5,8 GHz Lonestar78 FPV Talk 22 Oct 15, 2011 05:46 PM
For Sale 2.4 gh 8 dbi patch antenna $10 norberto83 FPV Equipment (FS/W) 1 Dec 03, 2010 08:44 PM
Question 30 dBi Grid Antenna matyou FPV Talk 7 Nov 14, 2010 11:32 PM
Discussion Anyone tried building a helical antenna for FPV? Bill Sanford FPV Talk 20 Nov 04, 2010 07:48 PM