HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by kdean, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:14 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Double Horse 9053 – 3 Elastic Gyro ‘Stability Rates’ Adjuster

Caution: This mod will drastically change the flight characteristics of your heli. Exercise extreme caution after making this mod. You cannot hold me responsible for any damages caused due to your lack of experience.

With the constant complaint of “blade strikes”, I conducted tests on this heli to find the source and solution to this problem.

Source -
I found that the top blade and flybar would angle to deep on extreme maneuvers, due to wind or “crazy pilot syndrome” causing the flybar to collide with the bottom blades.

Solution -
To solve this problem I had to restrict the movement of the flybar and top blades.

Conclusion - Elastic bands.

(SEE PIC ATTACHMENTS)

Name: 24012011272.jpg
Views: 215
Size: 58.1 KB
Description: Purchased a bag of elastic bands from local beauty salon. .00

Name: 24012011271.jpg
Views: 280
Size: 126.0 KB
Description: Remove upper shaft and blade grip. Center pin just slides out after you remove the blades.

Name: 24012011274.jpg
Views: 254
Size: 30.4 KB
Description: Here you can see the allowed angle of the flybar without elastics in place.

Name: 24012011276.jpg
Views: 228
Size: 138.9 KB
Description: Roll 3 elastics up the upper shaft just under the flybar gap and above the holes for blade grip.

Name: 24012011277.jpg
Views: 178
Size: 140.6 KB
Description: Push the elastics up under the flybar to adjust the allowed angle of movement. By pushing more elastic under the flybar, you lessen the angle allowed.

Name: 24012011278.jpg
Views: 199
Size: 138.0 KB
Description: Max angle allowed after elactics are pushed up. You can see the before and after with pic3.

Name: 24012011279.jpg
Views: 207
Size: 42.7 KB
Description: Install blade grip, upper shaft, and blades.
That’s It……

After performing this simple mod you will need to find the setting that works for your skill level. The more elastic pushed under the flybar, the harder to control.

In the controlled environment of my living room, this mod works wonders. Highly improved forward and backward flight. After some outside testing I found that it greatly improves the stability (bobbing and rocking motion stopped), but a good tail rotor mod is still needed to get through a slight head wind.

This kind of works like a "swash plate extent feature" on higher end tx/rx products.

Good Luck, and Happy Flying.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Last edited by kdean; Jan 28, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:40 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
941 Posts
Boy, kdean, you have been busy! Great looking mod. May try that. Last weekend I flew my 9053 several times and did not have a blade strike, but it did act funny doing extreme (for the 9053) maneuvers. It would sometime get in a rocking motion and decend quite rapidly. Most of the time I could recover if I was high enough. No blade or flybar strikes, and forward movement was quite fast, but I could never get it in long distance forward fast flight as it would alway go into the rocking motion. I think that is a characteristic of coaxials. Maybe your rubber band mod would fix that problem.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Jan 28, 2011, 07:01 PM
its 9053 not 9035 i kno haha
Joined Dec 2010
112 Posts
Also try just the all black bands, that way the looks don't look too colorful and prideful. If ya kno what I mean! Lol just throwing that pout there! All black is the way to go! Checkout my pics under the 9053 thread
9035Vol is offline Find More Posts by 9035Vol
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:56 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
It would sometime get in a rocking motion and decend quite rapidly. Most of the time I could recover if I was high enough. No blade or flybar strikes, and forward movement was quite fast, but I could never get it in long distance forward fast flight as it would alway go into the rocking motion. I think that is a characteristic of coaxials. Maybe your rubber band mod would fix that problem.

SpadCat
This mod will stableize your outdoor flight, but if you have your tail rotor modded you should be carefull with your forward and backward stick. I dont need to use the "quick" switch with the rubber bands in place. It will lean forward and hold, right into the ground if your not carefull. I had to practice using the throttle and forward to kind of ballance the heli in fast forward flight. As it takes on more of an angle you have to add more throttle to keep it going forward and not down. With the rubber bands the volitation wants to fly like its a 3D heli....

I have to admit I dont fly the volitation much anymore. At least not until I get a new tail boom and pcb, and that may take a while. I think I've modded it enough, but now starting to experience some control glitching, maybe a bad pcb, and it is frustrating me..... xheli is still out of stock. I would buy a whole new one, but by the time customs puts its tax and duty on it, it will end up costing me around $100 + shipping.

It still looks great on the bookshelf though
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:25 PM
Joined Apr 2011
5 Posts
"It still looks great on the bookshelf though"
I've just about come to the conclusion that that is all it is good for.

Butch
butcha is offline Find More Posts by butcha
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
18 Posts
i there i have had my double horse 9053 for 3 days and flys great indoors at work dose your Elastic bands work in some wind and is it much more fun to fly
peter29 is offline Find More Posts by peter29
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:37 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
This mod will really get the 9053 moving. You may want to start slow and learn how the flight changes before you try zipping around.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
18 Posts
thanks i will give it a go today i have some black ones so i will not see it lol hope it works will be nice to fly it outside
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
18 Posts
i forgot to ask i have but on a new fly bar can i still use the rubber bands on it or do i have to but the old one back on thanks
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:46 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
I have not tried it with the 9077 flybar, but the theory is still the same. Dont make the flybar to stiff to start, add a little at a time as you need it.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
18 Posts
ok thanks i hope it flys well i like it a bit harder to fly makes it more fun
Old Aug 14, 2011, 06:59 AM
Joined Aug 2011
18 Posts
one more thing i forgot do i have to do the blade mod i tryed it out side it went mad and came down something hit but it still ok i still do not know if the rubber band mod has worked yet as i was windy thanks peter
Old Aug 14, 2011, 07:16 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Do you mean the bottom blade grip flip, or a tail rotor mod? I had the bottom blade grip flipped and the extra main blade tips glued to the tail rotor. With too much power on the tail you will tip the heli too much, causing it to speed off in that direction. If you cant get the tail around to correct, you will end up in an uncontrolable dive. You kind of have to re-learn how you fly the heli. Dont use the 'quick' switch if you have a tail mod. Only push up the rubber bands enough to slightly limit the travel of the flybar. Do not restrict it, or make it too stiff. If it cant move enough to stabilize the heli, you will crash.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 07:31 AM
Joined Aug 2011
18 Posts
yes i do i have not done it yet but i think i might have to. i have done the mod to the tail rotor doses have a lot more power to it. it is windy here think i might be to much