HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:23 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,289 Posts
I tried to buy the batteries from HobbyPartz but upon check-out, I discovered they won't ship to Canada due to regulations regarding LiPos being sent cross the border by mail.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined May 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerio View Post
Batteries I bought from Hobbypartz, GenAce 4000mah, 60C., hope to be a good battery.
I've been using the same batteries. They work well in this plane
supertoyz is offline Find More Posts by supertoyz
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined May 2004
69 Posts
Anyone using dx18 with this jet?
rogerio is offline Find More Posts by rogerio
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:56 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,322 Posts
Quote:
Anyone using dx18 with this jet?
I will be programming mine this week, moving from a 12x to the DX18...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:00 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Hey guys, had some interesting flying the other day, check out the video, especially the last minute :-o

Sebart Mig 29 Video, Windows Media, High Definition, 192MB
Sebart Mig 29 Video, Windows Media, Standard Definition, 41MB

Jack
So after a good look it sems the Mig will fly again! The fix is rather simple in fact, I re-shaped the nose section (which was partially crushed) after cutting off the broken nose cone and then epoxied it back into shape. I then cut a clean end cut along the old nose cone line (what was left of it) for the replacement nose cone, once that epoxy dries I'll glue the entire thing back onto the fuse and will be good to go. I have a replacement ESC coming this week, hopefully none of the servos are dead and if not, will be back flying in a week...

Jack
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined May 2004
69 Posts
Quote:
I will be programming mine this week, moving from a 12x to the DX18...

Jack
You can share with us the dx18 setup since you have more experience with mig.
rogerio is offline Find More Posts by rogerio
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:45 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,322 Posts
Quote:
You can share with us the dx18 setup since you have more experience with mig.
Yes, I can share the DX18 setup for the Mig. I've been banging my head trying to solve one minor issue that the DX18 doesn't seem to do compared to the 12x. The "Gear-to-Gear" mix (mix 6) which is used to activate the heading hold gyro when in mode 2 ("3D & Hovering"), wasn't able to be inhibited as with the 12x without making it simply not work and when activated, the gear channel was driving a signal even when the mode switch was in mode 0 or mode 1 ("Normal Flight" and "Full Rates"). This caused the gyro to never arm as the gear channel is only supposed to have a signal when the flight mode is 2 ("3D & Hovering") AND the gear switch is in position 1. So after a lot of thought, it turns out an extra mix was necessary, basically cancelling out the gear switch when the flight mode is 0 or 1, basically not in ("3D & Hovering") mode. So, hopefully that made sense, it does to me now after banging my head a tad. I am going to tweak it a bit tomorrow before offering it to anyone...

Jack
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:51 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Quote:
So here is the plane from the crash video
Pretty good repair! Bravo!
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:36 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
107 Posts
Anyone have any luck taking out the pitching up issue with throttle off? I did try to subtrim in down elevator and upward thrust vector so that the plane would plane out better.

But I noticed that when hand-launching in FM3 rather than sitting in a hover waiting for me to get situated with my radio, it tended to want to roll over on its back. Trying different combinations of settings was unsuccessful. I am now setting the Aux1 & 2 subtrims to -30 to try to avoid the pitch down issue at throttle ON.

I love this jet and hope there is a way to filter this tendency out. Otherwise it's a blast to fly around. The kids LOVE it, especially during launch.
JetCatJimmy is offline Find More Posts by JetCatJimmy
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:24 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetCatJimmy View Post
Anyone have any luck taking out the pitching up issue with throttle off? I did try to subtrim in down elevator and upward thrust vector so that the plane would plane out better.

But I noticed that when hand-launching in FM3 rather than sitting in a hover waiting for me to get situated with my radio, it tended to want to roll over on its back. Trying different combinations of settings was unsuccessful. I am now setting the Aux1 & 2 subtrims to -30 to try to avoid the pitch down issue at throttle ON.

I love this jet and hope there is a way to filter this tendency out. Otherwise it's a blast to fly around. The kids LOVE it, especially during launch.
Mine is still en route so no real world experience, but I thought that's the way this jet is designed and the reason why the CG is where it is ....... To allow it to get into a hover easily and for that, don't you need a tendency to pitch up when slowing down (throttle reduced)?
As for launching, I'm going to use that inclined table method that someone posted a video of. At my flying field, they have these very long folding tables. I'm going to prop a box under one end and let the Mig take off from it. The guy in the video used the rear parcel shelf from his minivan. Worked like a charm.
When you hand launch, what angle do you hold it? Are you trying to actually get it flying from the toss? The SebArt vids show the pilot just holding it in the same attitude as if it were hovering and he just lets it lift off from his hand.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Nov 2009
427 Posts
Hi Jetcat,
pls see post #796
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19350442
You need to adjust the COG.
A slight pitch up at zero power is for purpose to allow a smoth transition into hovering.
Best Stephan
schiwo1 is offline Find More Posts by schiwo1
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:01 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
107 Posts
Thanks for the info! Yes I did shift the CG forward to alleviate some of the tendency. It seems to help, but it makes sense that the pitch is designed for hovering. I will just learn to anticipate that and elev down at the right time.

As for launching, I just throttle up to about 75%, hold it at the wing root in my left hand and the radio in my right. At about 4 feet off the ground I angle it forward to about 60 degrees and let go. It's the coolest thing to see this jet float away and hold itself while I get ready. It floats for about 4-5 seconds before needing input at which time I'm more than ready to fly it
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:28 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetCatJimmy View Post

Just trim out the plane in glide (using the elevator trim) and then apply power and trim the nozzles on the ground between flights until you get this corrected, it's a simple matter of trimming the plane for glide and then the nozzles for powered flight. As for the gyro and the rocking and eventual roll over, we see the same thing, the gyro is only partially effective IMO...

Jack
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:04 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
107 Posts
I'll give that a try. Thank you for your input!