HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:32 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbone View Post
I thought they were 3600kv. The HET 2W20 is 3350kv and 750 watts and they outdo those with max amps.
I did a search recently and came up with http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Bru...ner-Motor.aspx which must be close excluding the edf extension. 750watts but peak amperage is 70 which might explain the extra headroom. I don't think this motor is exactly the one though as it is fairly heavy with the extension.
yes, and that was the motor that was suggested to me to get abit more performance out of the plane from Hacker. However, you'll note it has a 3.17mm shaft, just like the Turnigy motor I'm trying to fit to the Sebart fans. For the life of me, I can't find such a EDF adapter.
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:27 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2009
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
yes, and that was the motor that was suggested to me to get abit more performance out of the plane from Hacker. However, you'll note it has a 3.17mm shaft, just like the Turnigy motor I'm trying to fit to the Sebart fans. For the life of me, I can't find such a EDF adapter.
How about Maxx Prop Adaptor 3.2mm (1/8") shaft, 6mm prop hub from http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Pr...Collet--Etc-36 I am not sure of the length dimension. Maybe someone could machine something but it would be costly.
johnbone is offline Find More Posts by johnbone
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:57 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
Sub'd
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Nov 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiwo1 View Post
As promised, the log files and a summary on my experience after 6 flights today.

2. Flight behaviour:
- very easy to fly with 50% gyro support in "normal" gyro mode and the Sebart recommended throws........
- - Gyro mix in normal mode at 50% in start mode and 100% in 3D mode (makes the start really easy)
- Elev, ailerons exaclty straigt

Happy flights!
Stephan
Trying to set up my Mig but I don't fully understand gyros. Can you explain? What do you do to get 50% gyro support? How do you get the ail. straight? If they are straight at the root they are deflected UP at the tip??
Thanks.
billd3 is offline Find More Posts by billd3
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Nov 2009
29 Posts
hardware changes

I also found, like some of you , that the hardware leaves a lot to be desired and I'm going to change mine too. I'm curious about what some of you have used to replace the factory stuff, particularly the clevises...I've never used anything this small and have never seen clevises that seem to use "wood screw"type threads on the pushrods. Are you keeping the stock pushrods or is everything changed to 2-56 stuff. All my stuff is giant scale and I don't want to overkill
Thanks in advance.
billd3 is offline Find More Posts by billd3
Last edited by billd3; Jul 10, 2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined May 2004
69 Posts
Any store in United States with the newer version with 2x65 esc in stock?
rogerio is offline Find More Posts by rogerio
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Jan 2005
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd3 View Post
Trying to set up my Mig but I don't fully understand gyros. Can you explain? What do you do to get 50% gyro support? How do you get the ail. straight? If they are straight at the root they are deflected UP at the tip??
Thanks.
They are up at the tip of the wing.

Not sure about the gyro setup. Since I have a JR radio I just used the setup as specified in the manual.
malcolmm is offline Find More Posts by malcolmm
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Jan 2005
549 Posts
I finally finished my Mig-29 and had five flights this weekend.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I know I was expecting it to fly better than it does. I'm a fairly good 3D pilot with prop driven planes - I can do rolling harriers, torque rolls, knife edge spins etc. with my Slicks and other 3D prop driven planes.

Flying the Mig makes me very nervous. Whenever I make a mistake, it would go into a spin, and getting out of the spin takes some time. I almost crashed in two or three times because of this. Thinking about it afterwards, I guess I need to keep some power on at all times as the lack of airflow from a prop makes the control surface unresponsive at times. I really admire the flying skills of those pilots who can 3D this plane. For me, flying the Mig is not fun at all so far.

I would also agree with other comments that the quality of the hardware is really poor for such an expensive plane. I've built Hobby King foamies that have better quality hardware. I'm also not impressed to read that they have now upgraded the ESCs to 65A, this should have been done before they released the Mig.
malcolmm is offline Find More Posts by malcolmm
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Nov 2009
430 Posts
Hmm, have a look at voodoochild's vids he posted earlier in this thread to see what you can do with this plane.
I am not a 3D pilot, but I am capable to do hovering, tailspins, knife edges, flatspins etc easily with this plane in the meantime. I have it now for a year or so, w/o any problems, even with the original 45A ESCs

For me, the Seb Mig is the fun fly model to relax in between the flying "real" stuff.

Give it a bit more practice, and you will love this plane!
Best Stephan
schiwo1 is offline Find More Posts by schiwo1
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:01 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerio View Post
Any store in United States with the newer version with 2x65 esc in stock?
I see "Area 51" calls theirs "Version 2". They got into the game a bit late so I doubt they ever sold the V1. I don't think this jet is a big seller in N. America. I check the Graves Hobby site from time to time. They are currently at a stock of "1". About the beginning of this year, their stock was at "3". It's taken this long for them to get down to 1. You'll probably see V2 once the current stock is gone, assuming the hobby shops think this jet is worth stocking. Atlanta Hobby doesn't have stock and say it's on "back order", so contact them to see if it will be V2 when they fill an order. The US sellers either won't even ship one to Canada or they use only UPS. UPS makes the cost way too much. I'm looking into what it'll cost for Area 51 to ship one without paying "VAT".
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:01 AM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmm View Post
For me, flying the Mig is not fun at all so far.
That will come, carry on! The fun will come.

And tuning the CG and nozzles (see Schiwo's post, IIRC) to alleviate the pitch-up effect makes it even more fun.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is online now Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:50 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
so i finally got the correct collet adapter to try the turnigy 3300kv motor in the sebart mig.
i also bought 1 of the stock sebart motors for comparison too.
the figures i got seem almost identical between the two. the current on both was close to 70A peak.
the static thrust (in-plane) was 1.15 for the turnigy, and maybe closer to 1.2 for the stock motor.
the sebart motor had an odd smell after running for a few seconds- hope is nothing
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:43 PM
USA, CA, Oakley
Joined Aug 2008
213 Posts
Selling one of these NIB if anyones interested. Looking to fund another plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=sebart
hackdroot is offline Find More Posts by hackdroot
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
Has anyone been able to track down spare parts for this plane? I called Hobby Lobby and they checked their website as well as the Sebart and Thunder Power sites. No luck. I would like to replace the bottom half of the foam EDF ducts since they have been beaten up in some landings over the last year. I learned a while back that you have to have some power on during the landing since it pitches up violently when you cut the throttle to zero.
Mike873 is offline Find More Posts by Mike873
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Nov 2009
430 Posts
Mike,
I don't think you will get those as replacement parts.
Fix it with Epoxy and you will be fine
Best Stephan
schiwo1 is offline Find More Posts by schiwo1