HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:11 AM
Australia
Joined May 2008
98 Posts
Australian delivered Sebart Mig 29's update

Thanks for all the help on here. My mig and 2 others are doing fine. One had a fan come off that was vibrating badly in previous flights and ignored but was refitted with no damage and all is good. All 3 have some form of nose skid thanks to people on here and they work perfectly. All have fitted custom cnc'd alloy or copper heatsinks with thermal compound to the esc's as a precaution. All have flown at temps approx 36 deg Celsius with no probs.

All are using Dualsky 30c 4s 4000mAh and Thunderpower 4s 3300mAh 65c which both give massive power.Very happy.

We mainly take off from short grass no problems but hand launching is easier. Upright flatspins with just a tick of throttle are truly flat and graceful. Upright harrier's are very easy also. No one has the for low hovering yet. Gliding landings holding lots of down are very smooth and now the norm. Knife edge once locked in is smooth but needs very small inputs to maintain otherwise it will snap out.

We all agree its a pussycat in the air ONCE you know what to expect and a thrill to fly everytime it's airborne.
3Dehover is offline Find More Posts by 3Dehover
Last edited by 3Dehover; Mar 27, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:54 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Surprise: 2x65A ESCs in the new SebArt catalogue

Hi there,

I am hoping that nobody is surprised that in the new
2012 SebArt catalogue the MiG29 3D is advertised with "2x 65Amp ESC. NEW!".

Cheers,
Henrik

PS: One shop in Austria duly lowered their prices on the 2x45A version.
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:16 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
How to distinguish the V2 and V1 / how to spot the new ESCs?

Hi there,
does anyone know how to visually distinguish the V2, especially what the new 65A ESCs look like?

One poster had new ESCs without fins in the heatsinks and with a new plug system instead of the Dean's plugs. Was that already a V2?

Thanks and cheers,
Henrik
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:51 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Hi there,

Hacker Motors Germany just confirmed per mail that the MiGs they have in stock are 2012 models with the new ESCs. I ordered one and it does have the new looking ESCs as already shown by 3Dehover from Australia in January:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1162

It also has the new Y-cable which is directly soldered to the ESCs (no transfer loss at plugs) and which has the fat (5.5mm ?) new plug that is also used in the Su-35:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1165

So, apparently, there is a V2, it is out in the market, and it does address the biggest problem that the V1 had, the underdimensioned ESCs. It also optimizes the current flow from battery to ESC a bit - no more Dean's plugs!

Cheers,
Henrik
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
USA, CA, Oakley
Joined Aug 2008
211 Posts
So, I almost lost my mig today.

During flight I noticed an odd noise coming from the motors. As I swing around to land, something went real bad on one of the motors leaving the plane pretty much uncontrollable. With only one functioning motor, it was a miracle I was able to swing it into the wind and elevator drop it down ~40 feet before it was bound to disappear into a neighboring development. Due to high grass in the area, it pretty much survived intact much to my surprise.

After tearing into it and removing the failed motor, it appears the motor mount screws came out. I only found one screw in the space where the EDF fan meets the EDF housing. Not sure if they used two or four screws to hold this thing in since the remaining ones ejected at some point. A new EDF fan and motor is in order at least, lets see if I can get any support on this.
hackdroot is offline Find More Posts by hackdroot
Last edited by hackdroot; Apr 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, NJ, Pompton Lakes
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
i've never seen a fighter jet this maneuverable. cant wait to get my seb mig 29

unreal....
МиГ-29ОВТ МАКС 2005 день 4 MiG-29OVT MAKS 2005 day 4 (5 min 8 sec)
kingkyle is offline Find More Posts by kingkyle
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Nov 2000
166 Posts
V2 ESC's

Any idea what brand the new ESC's are?

What's a good replacement ESC for the V1 ESC?

Thanks,

John
jmiceli11 is offline Find More Posts by jmiceli11
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:12 AM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiceli11 View Post
Any idea what brand the new ESC's are?
No.

Quote:
What's a good replacement ESC for the V1 ESC?
Anything that does 80A+, e.g. the Dymond Smart 80.

Cheers,
Henrik
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:54 AM
Caslav, Czech Rep.
Joined Nov 2005
10 Posts
Hi,
With genuine motors I tried those ESCs:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_Logging.html.
But they have not been able to work on Y cable. Have no idea why, after that those EScs are OK: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_5A_SBEC.html, no problem, after 3 flights slightly warm only.
Unfortunately back order on HC
mirkoz is offline Find More Posts by mirkoz
Last edited by mirkoz; Apr 17, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Nov 2000
166 Posts
Can anyone describe how to set up the gyro with a Futaba 8fg? You can't zero out the low end endpoint on the gear channel. Also do we want to have the gyro set up in rate(ie normal) mode or heading hold?

Finally the servo that controls the rudder function of the exhaust nossels failed on the bench any suggestions on a replacement servo?

Thanks,
John
jmiceli11 is offline Find More Posts by jmiceli11
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:12 AM
Australia
Joined May 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackdroot View Post
So, I almost lost my mig today.

During flight I noticed an odd noise coming from the motors. As I swing around to land, something went real bad on one of the motors leaving the plane pretty much uncontrollable. With only one functioning motor, it was a miracle I was able to swing it into the wind and elevator drop it down ~40 feet before it was bound to disappear into a neighboring development. Due to high grass in the area, it pretty much survived intact much to my surprise.

After tearing into it and removing the failed motor, it appears the motor mount screws came out. I only found one screw in the space where the EDF fan meets the EDF housing. Not sure if they used two or four screws to hold this thing in since the remaining ones ejected at some point. A new EDF fan and motor is in order at least, lets see if I can get any support on this.
Sorry to hear your departed fan caused so much damage. As i previously posted a mate of mine escaped the same problem with no rotor damage and flew the next day after refitting the rotor. He had approx 3 flights with a VERY bad noise from 1 rotor before it separated. After seeing that failure, i have taken my fans out, balanced them both, loctited all screws and all is good. Nose skid is easily made from a clear (ish) cable tie if this helps anyone.
3Dehover is offline Find More Posts by 3Dehover
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
sebart mig in 50pcs..... sucks bc it was by far the best EDF i've ever owned.
sebart mig fail.qt (1 min 17 sec)
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:16 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkyle View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=555-Os0nNWo
Sorry about your loss. I was saying to myself, looks like the rudder is going to come off, looks like the rudder is going to come off,... and it did! Perfect documentation of a crash.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:23 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkyle View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=555-Os0nNWo
Looks like you hand launched it by yourself. What was your technique?
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
Looks like you hand launched it by yourself. What was your technique?
Yup really easy, you grab the left edf right after the cheater holes, I keep one or two fingers between the two fans to keep it level and just throw it. Just make sure you throw it level. Must be full throttle also.

Kyle