HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined May 2011
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
Hi there,

+1. It is very easy. Point the nose up (15-30°, don't throw it level). Your arm should be extended upwards, over your head. Make sure the wings are level (horizontally) and don't let one wing catch your head (it should not happen if you do stretch your arm). Full power! TV on. Low rates on, to prevent overcontrolling.

Also, try not to push on the foam parts separating the little cheater holes from each other, they can be pushed in.

Cheers,
Henrik
That's not how I do it. I put it on FM2 which has the gyro active. Hold the root of the right wing with my right hand, hold it at a comfortable level around waist high in front of me pointing up at about nearly verticle, throttle up until it get's light and let go. It hovers by itself for the second or two it takes me to get my right hand back on the radio. I can then usually maintain the hover for a few more seconds and then accelerate up and out of it and then as it fly's off I usually flip off the gyro. It's been effortless so far with not one close call. I didn't buy it until late fall here in VT and the flying field was pretty much deserted for the season so I'm usually on my own for launching. On my maiden I took the risk of taking off from grass, it took a little nudge to get it going but then it was ok. The next time the grass had grown a little and I couldn't get it to accelerate. I had to make the decision to pack up and go home or try to hand launch myself. It's a pretty big plane that's akward to hold with one hand so the method I've been using seemed to be the easiest and turned out to work great. I'm tempted to build a little pvc stand that I can just leave at the field that will hold at at about 60 degrees and you could just fly out of it.
supertoyz is offline Find More Posts by supertoyz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:08 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
442 Posts
I thought about building a stand myself, but its just too much of a hassle to carry around. As a side note i wonder if there's something cheap avilable thats very lightweight and collapsable that might work - same idea as tents pole.
Anyways, my question is: is your method going to be suitable for the beginner 3d pilot? i.e. for easy is it to hover without much risk of disaster?
It sounds like a spectacular way to launch though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoyz View Post
That's not how I do it. I put it on FM2 which has the gyro active. Hold the root of the right wing with my right hand, hold it at a comfortable level around waist high in front of me pointing up at about nearly verticle, throttle up until it get's light and let go. It hovers by itself for the second or two it takes me to get my right hand back on the radio. I can then usually maintain the hover for a few more seconds and then accelerate up and out of it and then as it fly's off I usually flip off the gyro. It's been effortless so far with not one close call. I didn't buy it until late fall here in VT and the flying field was pretty much deserted for the season so I'm usually on my own for launching. On my maiden I took the risk of taking off from grass, it took a little nudge to get it going but then it was ok. The next time the grass had grown a little and I couldn't get it to accelerate. I had to make the decision to pack up and go home or try to hand launch myself. It's a pretty big plane that's akward to hold with one hand so the method I've been using seemed to be the easiest and turned out to work great. I'm tempted to build a little pvc stand that I can just leave at the field that will hold at at about 60 degrees and you could just fly out of it.
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined May 2011
93 Posts
I'd say yes since I would consider myself a beginner as well. I only started flying planes about 18 months ago and considering the weather here in VT that translates to about 9 monhs of flying. Just make sure you launch it at about 60 to 70 degrees vertical and not straight up. The forward angle makes it much more stable than being straight up verticle, It flies away from you slowly but it's very easy to control, when you get uncomfortable you can just pin it and fly away. If you get the plane straight up vertical in a hover it can flop over forwards or backwards pretty quickly. I bought a nice Sebart Sebach 342 3d plane last summer and I find the Mig easier to hover.
supertoyz is offline Find More Posts by supertoyz
Last edited by supertoyz; Feb 11, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:56 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Aug 2010
2,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCDave View Post
VooDoo,

Please shoot some video of that if you can man! I can't imagine what that would sound like and look like in such and enclosed space, lol...

- Dave

ps: VooDoo; an indoor event in Florida? (jelous in cold NH ;-) )
Oh,no doubt....there will be a couple vid cams rolling It should be WAY COOL and Killer on the ears We hold the event in the Embry-Riddle Aeronautic Academy...Very nice double basketball courts with the music and ac kicking.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,294 Posts
Does anyone know if you can order just the clear landing pads for this model?
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:11 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Aug 2010
2,679 Posts
Just did my first launch off of my fold up plastic shop table with only one set of legs out......IT WAS AWESOME...I do want to get some practice in before i try this in a Gym
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:20 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
442 Posts
anyone have a clear picture of the regular, and reverse fan housings mated with the fans?
i bought an airframe only, and I'm not sure which fan propellor goes with which fan housing.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TheCure; Feb 15, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:22 AM
United States, NH, Rindge
Joined Feb 2006
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
Just did my first launch off of my fold up plastic shop table with only one set of legs out......IT WAS AWESOME...I do want to get some practice in before i try this in a Gym
VooDoo: video is a MUST from the gym fly!! Good luck. BTW ERAU is my alma mater: class of '84 (ya, old fart)

- Dave
ATCDave is offline Find More Posts by ATCDave
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:35 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Perhaps some of you owners could give me a little advice...

I'm currently toying with the thought of buying an EDF that I can fly in the (big and mostly empty) local park, thus need something that can land on rough and uneven grass surfaces. It wouldn't be my first EDF, but it would be the first one in a few years since I've mostly been flying helps lately (with some prop planes thrown in for good measure).

I'm not overly bothered about the hovering, although I admit it looks cool, I would mostly be flying it more conventionally. If I want to hover my helicopters generally do a better job lol. I would actually even eventually plan to make it FPV once I have it flying nicely and have the hang of it. Perhaps with a spare canopy - one lightweight performance one and one FPV one containing most of the FPV components... on that note can you buy replacement canopies? I haven't seen spare parts anywhere....

The FPV kit would add around 100g (which I can distribute fairly evenly so as not to kill CG) or up to maybe 150g if I add a 3-axis gyro that I have. Will that, in your experiences, have a notable effect on flight characteristics?

Given that general idea, am I mad to spend £370 on this jet for those requirements or will it fit the bill nicely? It seems very hard to find a good mid-sized scale looking jet that can take a belly landing and survive for long.
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:48 AM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,060 Posts
Landing pads

Hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Does anyone know if you can order just the clear landing pads for this model?
I asked a local distributor in Germany the same question and the answer was that they CAN'T supply them. That is very sad, because they work great: I put a pair on the Lanxiang MiG-29 already !

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:52 AM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,060 Posts
Hi there,

if you don't need the aggressive 3D, the SebArt MiG is a bit overpriced, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_y2k2 View Post
It seems very hard to find a good mid-sized scale looking jet that can take a belly landing and survive for long.
Oh, you can improvise very easily. I modded the Freewing Eurofighter like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4124

And for going around the park, the EF is as nice as the MiG - I have and like both.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Thanks for your input matey...

I was under the impression that the Eurofighter was significantly bigger than the sebart mig but I see now that it isn't. The big delta form factor does perhaps make it slightly more cumbersome to transport though.... looks like it may be possible to make the wings removable though, will have to look more closely there. your idea for skids is good, but I might need something more rugged. I also wonder whether the lip of the intakes would survive my field!

The only other thing the mig has the advantage of is the contra rotating fans which would make FPV launches much easier.

Certainly food for thought, so thanks.

Oh, and the retailer I was looking at has a "V2" listed which will be available as of next week - I asked what the changes are and they said improved fans and bigger ESCs. I assume the fans will be the same as the replacements which were supplied separately (though perhaps now coming fitted rather than requiring the user to fit) but it's the first reference I've seen to changes with the ESCs. Anyone else come across that?
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Last edited by rusty_y2k2; Feb 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:49 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
Hi there,

I asked a local distributor in Germany the same question and the answer was that they CAN'T supply them. That is very sad, because they work great: I put a pair on the Lanxiang MiG-29 already !

Cheers,
Henrik
I would say contact sebart directly and get it form the horses mouth. However that horse has ignored all my emails thus far.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:52 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
442 Posts
If you dont intend on going 3D, I think its overpriced for you needs.
Why not consider the SU-35: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1562646

yes, its got landing gear, but you can remove them, adjust the CoG, and throw in your FPV gear without much of a penalty. You will pay less for this jet, and have spare landing gear for another.
Just follow the DIY belly skid plate mods.
Seems people really like the jet in that forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_y2k2 View Post
Perhaps some of you owners could give me a little advice...

I'm currently toying with the thought of buying an EDF that I can fly in the (big and mostly empty) local park, thus need something that can land on rough and uneven grass surfaces. It wouldn't be my first EDF, but it would be the first one in a few years since I've mostly been flying helps lately (with some prop planes thrown in for good measure).

I'm not overly bothered about the hovering, although I admit it looks cool, I would mostly be flying it more conventionally. If I want to hover my helicopters generally do a better job lol. I would actually even eventually plan to make it FPV once I have it flying nicely and have the hang of it. Perhaps with a spare canopy - one lightweight performance one and one FPV one containing most of the FPV components... on that note can you buy replacement canopies? I haven't seen spare parts anywhere....

The FPV kit would add around 100g (which I can distribute fairly evenly so as not to kill CG) or up to maybe 150g if I add a 3-axis gyro that I have. Will that, in your experiences, have a notable effect on flight characteristics?

Given that general idea, am I mad to spend £370 on this jet for those requirements or will it fit the bill nicely? It seems very hard to find a good mid-sized scale looking jet that can take a belly landing and survive for long.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:04 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCDave View Post
Hey guys,

Check out how this guy launches his MIG. It looks like it works pretty good!

- Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9NEGPX_poM
Cool vid! I still have mine ready for FX3D Voodoo. Its been waiting on a shelf and I think I'll go tune it up and get it ready.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777