HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:06 AM
off2fly
Danville Va
Joined Feb 2007
36 Posts
Its very different,I just got mine where its enjoyable to fly ,I guess the challange is why we love this hobby so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
On that note,I have backed my throttle curve way back from what the book said........I feel it is alot easier to control with having a full throttle range....It felt very bouncy having all that power coming in so low....I messed around with a couple different curves tell i found the one that made it much more comfortable......Hell,what am i saying,i am still tweeking this thing
off2fly is offline Find More Posts by off2fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
I am considering one of these jets and have not had the chance to read all 80+pages of discussion. Could someone summarize what we all need to do/best practices based on experiences with this EDF?
1- Does the ESC need to be replaced? if so, with what?
2 - what are the best batteries to get for this plane?
3 - What are the best control horn replacements?
4 - Have we nailed down the CG?
5 - Does anyone have the programming guide/details for a Spektrum 7S?
6 - What did I forget?

If I am gonna throw $700 of plane, battery, receiver, etc into the air I'd like to have the best possible shot of being able to throw it up into the air for a second, third, fourth time....if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance.
jeffyham is offline Find More Posts by jeffyham
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:03 PM
off2fly
Danville Va
Joined Feb 2007
36 Posts
I'm using all stock component s,just need to be careful with the horns the clevis's are real tight,don't get spastic w them and theyre fine I'm using sky 4000 packs and about 4 min flights, but like Voodoo said a fun 4 min, you really need to read thread for set up
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyham View Post
I am considering one of these jets and have not had the chance to read all 80+pages of discussion. Could someone summarize what we all need to do/best practices based on experiences with this EDF?
1- Does the ESC need to be replaced? if so, with what?
2 - what are the best batteries to get for this plane?
3 - What are the best control horn replacements?
4 - Have we nailed down the CG?
5 - Does anyone have the programming guide/details for a Spektrum 7S?
6 - What did I forget?

If I am gonna throw $700 of plane, battery, receiver, etc into the air I'd like to have the best possible shot of being able to throw it up into the air for a second, third, fourth time....if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance.
off2fly is offline Find More Posts by off2fly
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:23 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
Just wanted to say I received my airframe yesterday in good condition. It cost an extra $90 in taxes and brokerage fess which I'm pretty sick about.

If I can digress for a moment...Please everyone, don't use UPS when shipping from the US to Canada. You will get charged 1/3 of the declared value. I'll walk round trip to the US to pick up the package personally before I use these crooks again.

Whereas I spent more than I planned on this airframe, I saved abit of money buying the components.
I went ahead and bougth metal gear servos, 2x 2800kV motors, and 2x 100esc.
The ESCs are heavier than I planned, so may have to find lighter ones. I also bought the cheap $15 HK gyro.

I wont fly, nor build until summer most likely since I want to practice more flying and gain experience with thrust vectoring with the BH mig 29v2 I just bought. I don't want *any* mistakes when flying this bird.

I can't promise I wont look at it and admire every day until then... :-)
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:49 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555 View Post
I wont fly, nor build until summer most likely since I want to practice more flying and gain experience with thrust vectoring with the BH mig 29v2 I just bought.
Hi there, just curious: What is new about the v2 LX MiG compared to the v1? And btw, I think the SebArt is not more difficult to fly than the LX MiG, especially as you can get by with so-so landings on the SebArt - the skids allow for sizable errors without big damage, while a similar landing will ruin the plastic landing gears of the LX MiG (don't ask me how I know).

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:41 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555 View Post
Just wanted to say I received my airframe yesterday in good condition. It cost an extra $90 in taxes and brokerage fess which I'm pretty sick about.

If I can digress for a moment...Please everyone, don't use UPS when shipping from the US to Canada. You will get charged 1/3 of the declared value. I'll walk round trip to the US to pick up the package personally before I use these crooks again.
I have been preaching this to all Canadians for many, many years. If only you had done a Google search about shipping rates using UPS before you purchased. In fact, I have joined many Canadians, both the private sector and other businesses, in boycotting any and all businesses who insist on using UPS as their sole method of shipping to Canadians.
Unfortunately, this Mig is sold by very few N. America sellers. Atlanta Hobby, Hobby Lobby and Graves are about the only ones I've found who sell it. It is almost cheaper to find a seller in Australia to buy from. In fact, I bought an F/A-18 jet from OZ and shipped to my door, saved me over $100.00 from buying the same jet from Hobby Lobby. At one point, Graves would have shipped this jet for free to an address in Montana but would have cost me an arm and a leg to ship it to Alberta.
Next time, use this calculator to see how much you'll be robbed when you have something shipped:
http://www.thefinalcost.com/
Better yet, join the boycott and also get the word out.
PS. Some shops have figured out how much savings there are when not using UPS, so they make up the difference anyway with "handling". I boycott those businesses as well.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Last edited by xviper; Jan 24, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:49 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
I think we're talking about two differnent Migs. The mig I'm 'practicing' on is the Mikoyan Mig 29 v2 w/ twin 55mm fans. It has the elevator, airleron & TV connected to 1 servo. it was quite a blast to fly-at least for the 5minutes before a fan disintegrated. I was impressed it took off at a 45degree angle from my hand with barely a push. I believe the v1 didnt have thrust vectoring. The link is here:
http://www.bananahobby.com/1828.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
Hi there, just curious: What is new about the v2 LX MiG compared to the v1? And btw, I think the SebArt is not more difficult to fly than the LX MiG, especially as you can get by with so-so landings on the SebArt - the skids allow for sizable errors without big damage, while a similar landing will ruin the plastic landing gears of the LX MiG (don't ask me how I know).

Cheers,
Henrik
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:08 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
Yes, it was my own stupidity as I already knew about the raping UPS does to Canadians. BH[another order] and this company both told me the USPS would not accept an oversize package, so UPS was the only option. Thankfully BH declared a lesser value without my asking, so charges were acceptable with my other order. The company I bought the Sebart from would do no such thing for me. Well, i learned my lesson.
I didn't mention the a**hole delivery guy both times lied about attempting to deliver my orders. Both days my packages were on the truck for delivery and according to UPS they are bound to deliver that day. My wife waited home both days for the packages. I absolutely know there was no attempt either time, yet tracking shows 'could not obtain funds from customer.' Cooincidently the prick showed the attempt occured at 6:57pm on Fri, which is basically closely time. He didnt want to stay and finish his duty, but go out and party instead. I called 'customer service', and I am using the term very loosely here, and was told that there was nothing that they could do. THey wouldnt even talk to the delivery guy. "Well it says here on our system he scanned the package, so he must have attempted." Sound logic for certain. Apparently this is not an isolated incident by the sounds of other irate customers.
Anyways I won't waste anymore of my life stewing about it.
Back to RC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I have been preaching this to all Canadians for many, many years. If only you had done a Google search about shipping rates using UPS before you purchased. In fact, I have joined many Canadians, both the private sector and other businesses, in boycotting any and all businesses who insist on using UPS as their sole method of shipping to Canadians.
Unfortunately, this Mig is sold by very few N. America sellers. Atlanta Hobby, Hobby Lobby and Graves are about the only ones I've found who sell it. It is almost cheaper to find a seller in Australia to buy from. In fact, I bought an F/A-18 jet from OZ and shipped to my door, saved me over $100.00 from buying the same jet from Hobby Lobby. At one point, Graves would have shipped this jet for free to an address in Montana but would have cost me an arm and a leg to ship it to Alberta.
Next time, use this calculator to see how much you'll be robbed when you have something shipped:
http://www.thefinalcost.com/
Better yet, join the boycott and also get the word out.
PS. Some shops have figured out how much savings there are when not using UPS, so they make up the difference anyway with "handling". I boycott those businesses as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:33 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,177 Posts
Strange noises from the fan

Hi there,
my SebArt so far withstood quite a few improper landings and various beatings. But since a few flights, it has developed a new habit which sounds bad to me: At certain, reproducible throttle settings and thus RPMs, at least one of the fans is vibrating A LOT. Increasing throttle beyond the setting results again in a smoothly running fan. There is more than one setting at which the vibrations occur. Any ideas how to fix this? Any guesses how many flights before the fan is history?

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:41 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
Balance

the fan/rotor sounds to be out of balance.
Get it dynamically balanced. I know I will do this before I install the fan units on mine. My little 55mm fan blew apart after 5min most likely due to a bad balance.
I'd suggest Don on this site, but he doesn't balance 70mm fans - too dangerous he says. There is information on this site how to balance the fan yourself using a smart phone.
I tried with my 70mm fan from my Meteor, and it's a nerve racking experience. The noise is incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
Hi there,
my SebArt so far withstood quite a few improper landings and various beatings. But since a few flights, it has developed a new habit which sounds bad to me: At certain, reproducible throttle settings and thus RPMs, at least one of the fans is vibrating A LOT. Increasing throttle beyond the setting results again in a smoothly running fan. There is more than one setting at which the vibrations occur. Any ideas how to fix this? Any guesses how many flights before the fan is history?

Cheers,
Henrik
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Jan 2005
551 Posts
I'm looking at getting the Mig, which will be my first EDF.

I was going to use ThunderPower 3850 4S 45C. I was offered the 65C version of these for only $10 more. Is this a good size for the plane (they weigh around 415 g), and is there any reason not to use the 65C?

I'm just a little concerned about the ESC with the 65C, as it seems that people are already drawing way more than it is rated for. Based on my experience, the 65C is going to result in even higher amps, is this an issue?

Thanks
malcolmm is offline Find More Posts by malcolmm
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:51 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
The higher 'C' battery will allow more current draw, exhibit a smaller voltage drop under load, and handle higher loads with less stress than that of a lower 'C' battery. You achieve this at the cost of increased weight and expenditure.
I think there's a number of good previous posts that indicate what the optimal pack is. If memory serves correct I think you'll need at least a 45C for 3D.

first EDF?? Maybe grab a cheaper EDF and fly abit before pulling this out of the barn, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmm View Post

I was going to use ThunderPower 3850 4S 45C. I was offered the 65C version of these for only $10 more. Is this a good size for the plane (they weigh around 415 g), and is there any reason not to use the 65C?

I'm just a little concerned about the ESC with the 65C, as it seems that people are already drawing way more than it is rated for. Based on my experience, the 65C is going to result in even higher amps, is this an issue?

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:30 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmm View Post

Thanks

First EDF? Ballsy!

I think you need to learn/understand how an EDF flies first with something Cheap from Hobbyking before you have a $500 confetti explosion.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:16 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
BTW, I complained about my poor experience to a supervisor @ UPS, and got $100 back.
All's well that ends well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Jan 2005
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
First EDF? Ballsy!

I think you need to learn/understand how an EDF flies first with something Cheap from Hobbyking before you have a $500 confetti explosion.
Thanks for those who cautioned me about flying the Mig as my first EDF. I am in no rush to fly it, so I think I will try a cheaper EDF first.

I do fly a lot of 3D (mostly 3dhobbyshop Slicks) at an intermediate to advanced skill level, so hovering, harriers and torque rolls are no problem. But I guess doing these on an EDF is more challenging. My Slicks are real floaters, so if I get in trouble there usually isn't a problem, which I would guess isn't true with an EDF.
malcolmm is offline Find More Posts by malcolmm