HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:23 PM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,246 Posts
Why is everyone flying around at zero throttle anyway!?
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:42 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,996 Posts
Might be helpful during landing, perhaps?
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:52 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Paradoxically, that doesn't seem to be the case for some, who report that after trimming for level flight, the plane noses up with reduced throttle. Can't speak regarding the TV nozzles yet, as my MiG is waiting for my pickup from UPS.

I think this has been noted in several places, including the review in the September Fly RC mag.
What folks aren't recognizing (and I've been trying to say) is the nozzles are keeping it level in flight under power as they pitch down! Trim the plane for level flight with no power first (let off on the throttle and see if it climbs, if so, down elevator sub trim). Then trim the plane for level flight under power (sub trim vector 1 and vector 2, likely up). In the end, it will fly level both under power and while coasting if you do this...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:36 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
What folks aren't recognizing (and I've been trying to say) is the nozzles are keeping it level in flight under power as they pitch down! Trim the plane for level flight with no power first (let off on the throttle and see if it climbs, if so, down elevator sub trim). Then trim the plane for level flight under power (sub trim vector 1 and vector 2, likely up). In the end, it will fly level both under power and while coasting if you do this...

Jack
I hear ya. It's like driving your car with your foot on the brake and wondering why it slows down so fast when you take your foot off the accelerator. The TV nozzles are having to compensate for the plane's control surfaces trying to make it pitch up. It's fighting itself.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:37 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,996 Posts
No one's saying that you're wrong, but it's just being noted that some are getting to *like* that particular characteristic. Whether you want to trim it out or not, again, personal preference. I'm leaving it at that.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:39 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,375 Posts
Any new vids anyone???

I tire of reading this circular argument.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:45 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
I understand. It's a feature instead of a symptom of improper setup.

I should stop since I don't have one of these planes. I don't want to get kicked off the playground. I think they are really cool, look like they fly great, and look awesome in the air.

I'm looking forward to more videos as well.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:58 PM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Might be helpful during landing, perhaps?
Not really, you should land a jet with some power on, not dead stick.
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:33 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
I still say sub trim the elevators down until you have level flight with no power, then sub trim only nozzles up until you have lelel flight under power. It can be done, ignore your instinct to worry about the actual position and just keep adjusting until you get it...

Jack
I hear you,i am just way happy to have found the sweet spot to fly it,i copied that set-up in my TX and will continue to mess around some more on the first flight of the day,if i do not like the changes-i just flip to my copied set-up and go beat it.One thing i do know,is the Ail and CG change made a huge difference in the way it flew.I am off to the field now,and i will try some more down elev,and up nozzle for the first flight.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:46 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorrisRC View Post
Why is everyone flying around at zero throttle anyway!?
Did you watch the video i posted last night ? It is not flying around at zero throttle that i am talking about.....If you watched the vid at the 1:53 at 3:01 mark,i show the issue...It is when you jump off the throttle the plane shoots up HARD...It also does it at any speed when you reduce the throttle,i just wanted to show how bad it can be.....and i have a fair amount of down elev in it in that vid.You can also see when i land that i HAVE to use the throttle and push the stick cause of the pitch up.I am just posting this cause if somebody has the same thing happen to them,they could lose the plane on the first flight if they do not keep there head in the game...after a couple flights it becomes easy to deal with as you tweek the plane in your right direction.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:51 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorrisRC View Post
Not really, you should land a jet with some power on, not dead stick.
For deceleration and descent
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:56 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
I understand. It's a feature instead of a symptom of improper setup.

I should stop since I don't have one of these planes. I don't want to get kicked off the playground. I think they are really cool, look like they fly great, and look awesome in the air.

I'm looking forward to more videos as well.
That is what i have been trying to find out all along..."Is this a feature or a symptom ?"If you watch the Seba video in the first post he uses it as a feature.....But for a guy like me that just laid down some big bucks for a high thrust chunk of foam,and set it up to the Manuel-IT WAS A SYMPTOM.....Bottom line is,if i keep the fans spinning just a couple hundred RPM it fixes the issue across the board.....Now i am off to the field to tweek some more.OH,and as far as improper set-up goes,There is no such thing if you are a half way decent builder and pilot,it is all about finding out how you need it to fly for you.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:21 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,828 Posts
If anybody is real hard up to watch a crappy vid,here you go..I zoomed the cam out a bit to much-so half the vid you can see the plane,and half you just hear it...Good part is i got the Mig darn close on the deck and was starting to get the feel of it....This thing just gets more and more fun to fly. http://www.youtube.com/user/voodoo12667
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:02 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,996 Posts
Nice. How long do you think those skids will keep up on that blacktop?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,828 Posts
Quote:
Nice. How long do you think those skids will keep up on that blacktop?
That is a Geo Textile Runway (we had grass up untell a couple months ago)....I also use it for take off and landing with my Habu with no landing gear....The stuff is slick.