SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:13 PM
Joined Nov 2009
430 Posts
As promised, the log files and a summary on my experience after 6 flights today.

1. Logfiles:
- Max Amp draw is 132A during takeoff with pre-heated Nanotechs. This is peak value and quickly goes down to 110-105A in full power vertical climb.
- At full speed horizontal, max Amp is between 95 and 100A
- At "normal" cruising speed, current is typically between 45 and 55A
- For 3D and hovering, its up to 75A (I am not good at 3D, so this may not be referencable)
- ESC temperature does not exceed 25-28 deg Celsius in flight. (outside air temperature was 14 deg celsius today)
- ESC temp raises up to 38 deg celsius AFTER the plane is back on the ground, simply due to the missing airflow.

2. Flight behaviour:
- very easy to fly with 50% gyro support in "normal" gyro mode and the Sebart recommended throws. (almost like a beginner model)
- w/o gyro, its very sensitive along the long axis and rolls over quickly.
- And, with the tirm as shown in the pics below, NO pitch up behaviour when I shutdown power!
- allows very low speed without stalling.
- Very easy to land, therefore I shut down power in about 5m height and let it glide down smoothly, with the nose slightly pulled up.
- Speed is not thrilling compared to my other jets. I have no speed sensor built in yet, but I would guess ~170-180 km/h (this is no surprise, since its just a clumsy foamie and not a slick composite ; in addition this plane is built for acrobatic flying, not for speed)
- Flight time is between 3:20 and 3:40 min with a 3300 mAh consumption from a 4000 mAh battery at a flight pattern as shown in the logfile attached. This is not thrilling, therefore it might be beneficial to use a 4400 mAh battery to extend 4min.

3. Trimming:
I made the following changes to the Sebart recommendations in the manual:
- CoG at 122mm (see picture below)
- Vector nozzles very slightly up (the mark on the nozzles just disappears - see picture)
- Gyro mix in normal mode at 50% in start mode and 100% in 3D mode (makes the start really easy)
- Elev, ailerons exaclty straigt

Summary: with all the settings I made its a perfect plane and makes a lot of fun. Outside temp this weekend was very low in Germany, so you may add 10-15 degrees to my values when flying under real summer conditions. But even with that, I cannot confirm a heat problem which is harmful for the ESCs. (remember: critical begins at ~100 deg celsius, or even when the shrinking tubes start melting )
Current at full power is above the spec of the ESCs. Nevertheless the cooling is sufficient. You might run into trouble if you fly full throttle end to end. But given the good overall performance, this is certainly not necessary

Happy flights!
Stephan
schiwo1 is offline Find More Posts by schiwo1
Last edited by schiwo1; Sep 18, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:14 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple12 View Post
Anyone know if there is a kit version available yet ? I would rather put my own equipment in this one.
From what I have heard there won't be one. Honestly, if you want one you should get it, they seem fully capable despite the negative reports (and there are a few negatives) and from what I and other have reported, the fan issue and excess amp draw don't seem to be a big deal. A few little ones irk me, foam nose and plastic horns and clevises (that can snap easily while adjusting) buy overall, it does what it was designed to do and does it well...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:20 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiwo1 View Post
Max Amp draw is 132A during takeoff with pre-heated Nanotechs. This is peak value and quickly goes down to 110-105A in full power vertical climb. At full speed horizontal, max Amp is between 95 and 100A. At "normal" cruising speed, current is typically between 45 and 55A.
A little higher amp draw than mine even @ 119 amps (static) but great info! I agree (no disrespect to Henrik) that the ESC's were likely selected based on average use, not max and given the design of the plane and purpose, they "seem" like they'll work fine. Sure, I'd rather see 75 - 80 amp ESC's too but some say a good design is exactly what you need, not extra. Bottom line, the plane has some minor issues which are annoyances only, once dialed in it seems to fly pretty darn well. Expensive, yes but until I see a comparable or better option on the market for less, it seems you'll have to pay to play...

Jack
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:34 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,109 Posts
Quote:
Anyone know if there is a kit version available yet ? I would rather put my own equipment in this one.
Fantastic information...that seems to tell it all...and I think thats a nice speed....It again seems that if the setup is right and the cg is good this is a nice gentle bird....Looking better to me...Thanks again for all the good info...I thank Jack said it best...it does exactly what it was designed to do..not more or less...
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Last edited by sanman55; Sep 18, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:39 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman55 View Post
Don't think that will happen...This is special from Sebart and it has its own approved dealers...it is what it is if you want one..
My new saying this year, "it is what it is", heheh...

Jack
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:45 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,109 Posts
Say its so
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:28 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,174 Posts
Airframe-only version

Hello there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
From what I have heard there won't be one.
In a big shop in Austria, the foam-only version is already listed as "available" for 189 Euros. I tried ordering one, but they didn't want to ship to Germany. So I don't know about availability yet.

http://www.conrad.at/ce/de/product/3...archDetail=005

Other shops such as Hacker Motors and Hepf both list a airframe-only version, but not marked as available.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:33 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,174 Posts
Hello Stephan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiwo1 View Post
As promised, the log files and a summary on my experience after 6 flights today.
Thanks a lot for the measurements (especially on the CoG) and photos - very useful!

Cheers,
Henrik

PS: 132A !
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:59 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
Hello there,

In a big shop in Austria, the foam-only version is already listed as "available" for 189 Euros. I tried ordering one, but they didn't want to ship to Germany. So I don't know about availability yet.

Other shops such as Hacker Motors and Hepf both list a airframe-only version, but not marked as available.

Cheers,
Henrik
I think this is a mistake, probably because the box indicates "with gyro", "without gyro", and "airframe only" but that doesn't mean Seba will let any go out that way...

Jack
Old Sep 18, 2011, 04:20 PM
Joined Nov 2009
430 Posts
Quote:
Hello Stephan,

Thanks a lot for the measurements (especially on the CoG) and photos - very useful!

Cheers,
Henrik

PS: 132A !
You are welcome
Please do not get hooked on the max Amps during launch.
This was right after I charged and pre-heated the battery to get the maximum power from it.

Since there were no buddies to help on my airfield today, I had to launch the Mig by myself, so pre-heating was the right thing to do, though.
For launch, I hold it on the nose, give full power, release it and it takes off vertical almost like a rocket. Thanks to the gyro this works just perfect
Best Stephan
schiwo1 is offline Find More Posts by schiwo1
Last edited by schiwo1; Sep 18, 2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:17 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,472 Posts
I flew the Mig again today . Don't need wheels, the launch was so easy. I let my friend try and we did some up and down inverted spin!! fun fun fun
I order a Gyro...
bidule is offline Find More Posts by bidule
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:28 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined May 2009
341 Posts
Quote:
Hello there,

Cheers,
Henrik
Thanks, I'm going to try and contact them, thats about $139, not to bad at all.
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,125 Posts
Might not be able to ship stateside. Distributor territories.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:37 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,125 Posts
Quote:
check your conversion. Need more dollars for every euro.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:40 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,745 Posts
Quote:
Gapple~ How did you get to 139 dollars from 189 Euros? According to the current currency values (I am using yahoo finance), 189 Euros is about 258 US dollars.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member