HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:12 AM
RC is healthy for your brains!
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Dear friends and great modelists, I am a begginner but I have seen a video about improving the balanced blades.
For what I have seen , the naked blades should be fit throug a needle, held horizontally with what seemed to be a magnetic frame.
After a moderate spin, whenever the blades show a tendency of pointing downwards, a tiny drop of cianoacrilate glue was added on the upper side of the blade tip pointing upwards.
Apparently the added mass of cianoacrilate helps in equalizing the weights.
Please do take this note as a humble attempt to share thoughts.
I personally find this solution quite functional as it is much safer than removing mass by means of scratching the plastic somewhere.
The application on top of the upper side is less disruptive as opposed to applying matter on the lower side, since the lower side is actually scooping air inside the cylinder, and so it should be left as smooth as possible.
.Superfly. is offline Find More Posts by .Superfly.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:02 AM
Canada, ON, Waterloo
Joined Dec 2010
90 Posts
Dynamic balancing

i much prefer to go one step beyond static balance and do a dynamic balance of the fan and motor. There is a great description on line using the accelerometers of a cell phone through an android app to display vibrations on a per axis basis. I can post a link tonight. I have built a simple frame to mount the fan and cell phone. It works well.
check this link for balancing http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267814
ogopogo is offline Find More Posts by ogopogo
Last edited by ogopogo; Dec 03, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:33 AM
Canada, ON, Waterloo
Joined Dec 2010
90 Posts
Vector 3 question

I'd like to express a question regarding the connections at the RX and gyro. I purchased this plane used without the Rx and am ok to the point of Vector 3. I know there is a lot of y-cabling going on but am not sure if the gyro operates on the TV alone or also with the rudder servos. Does the Vector 3 connector plug into the gyro output. I'd really love to create a wiring diagram for this but what's connected in the tail is an unknown for me. I have Vector 1 and Vector 2 in the Aux channels. Gyro sense is in Gear.

cheers
john
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:26 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogopogo View Post
I'd like to express a question regarding the connections at the RX and gyro. I purchased this plane used without the Rx and am ok to the point of Vector 3. I know there is a lot of y-cabling going on but am not sure if the gyro operates on the TV alone or also with the rudder servos. Does the Vector 3 connector plug into the gyro output. I'd really love to create a wiring diagram for this but what's connected in the tail is an unknown for me. I have Vector 1 and Vector 2 in the Aux channels. Gyro sense is in Gear.

cheers
john
Please keep in mind that I could never get my gyro to work and I don't know if it was a bad gyro or my own fault for not being able to program it. I now use it with the gyro by-passed. This is the way it came ............
The TV rudder servo was plugged into the gyro. Then the gyro plugged into a "Y". The real rudder servos were plugged into the other side of the "Y". The "Y" was then plugged into the rudder channel of the RX.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:07 PM
Canada, ON, Waterloo
Joined Dec 2010
90 Posts
schematic

As tested ok & RE- EDITED
Last edited by ogopogo; Dec 04, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:13 PM
Canada, ON, Waterloo
Joined Dec 2010
90 Posts
success :)

tested out tonight as per my schematic above. All works ok including gyro on rudder and vectors. Now I need to change something in the radio programming as my gyro is on even with gear 0. I was having trouble matching the instructions on this but at least I am down to one issue now.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:05 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
330 Posts
Hi ,
Am looking to buy one of these soon, I have the option of a version 1 with gyro or a version 2 without gyro for the same price. Any advice on which one to get would be appreciated. Thanks
Taman is online now Find More Posts by Taman
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:06 AM
Bulgaria, Sofia-city, Sofia
Joined Aug 2012
175 Posts
Get version 2 without Gyro , I unpluged mine from the begining and don't use it. You can add Gyro anytime if you want. Original one cost about 25$ , and you can add any brand like 10$ from HK
cdmanbg is offline Find More Posts by cdmanbg
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:10 AM
Canada, ON, Waterloo
Joined Dec 2010
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taman View Post
Hi ,
Am looking to buy one of these soon, I have the option of a version 1 with gyro or a version 2 without gyro for the same price. Any advice on which one to get would be appreciated. Thanks
Version 1 has 45A ESCs and Version 2 has 60A ESCs. Take 2. There are lots of videos up with folks doing pretty good 3D without gyro.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:06 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
330 Posts
Thanks guys, appreciate the replys. V2 it is then.
Taman is online now Find More Posts by Taman
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:31 PM
Canada, ON, Waterloo
Joined Dec 2010
90 Posts
if you want the original gyro ...

here's a link for the original :
http://www.hobbypartz.com/at-1003006.html
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:41 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2009
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
I tried to improve the stock setup by going to Wemotecs and HET 2W20 motors. Maximum current per motor dropped to about 43A or so with a fresh battery. All I got was a plane that could roughly hold its altitude. So I built in the stock motors again.

So your experiment is like mine: It shows that it is hard to reach the level of the stock setup, and damn hard to improve on it.

Cheers, Henrik
Using the Wemotec fan on the stock motors would also result in a considerable drop in power. I use the HET 6904 fans with the 2w20 motors in my SU34 and they draw 54 amps each with a fresh battery and drop to 52 amps each. This produces roughly just under 2600 grams thrust from a plane that weighs 2kg using a 4500mah battery. I did some exhaust port work on it to get the thrust given it was made for 64mm fans.

The same motor fan combo produces 1300 grams thrust in my Freewing F-35. I haven't seen a counter rotating 6904 fan yet though but I haven't looked hard.

Regards, John
johnbone is offline Find More Posts by johnbone
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:59 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
868 Posts
after 6 flights & no crashes,reinforced nose cone Im ready to sell mine
300.00 takes it,non gyro version.
Cant get over the no landing gear thing
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:40 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,484 Posts
Post in the Classifieds please, not the forums ;-)
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined May 2004
69 Posts
My left elevator servo presented problem. It moves more than the other, is not the most neutral and moves alone without command. someone already changed the servo sebart? and how he fixed?
rogerio is offline Find More Posts by rogerio