HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:34 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
I'm confused! The Rudder channel is both the rudders AND nozzles, so no matter gyro or not, they will BOTH move together, always. If you said the rudders are moving but the gyro is affecting the nozzle movement, something still seems odd, they should react together...

Jack
This is not quite right. The rudder vector servo is on one branch of the Y. The main rudder servos (already Y'd upstream) is on the other branch of the Y (downstream). However, on the branch that has the vector servo, is the gyro. They should act together, unless the gyro intervenes on the vector servo.
Also, if one branch of the Y (the one with the gyro + vector) is defective, then that branch won't work at all. Even if that branch of the Y is OK, the gyro is controlled by the TX programming (gear channel). So now you have 2 possible sources of the problem - the programming or the "Y".
Well, actually, 3 possibilities. The gyro itself could be the culprit. I just tested continuity in the Y and it seems the Y is good.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Last edited by xviper; Sep 26, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:46 PM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
817 Posts

On the right, my last spare foam nose.

On the left, my glass copy. No longer too worried about dinging it as I can make as many as I want!
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:06 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,981 Posts
Here's my launch ramp ........................ Still can't get the landing right.
Mig 29 from Sebart "tip table launch" (2 min 15 sec)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impailer View Post
on the left, my glass copy.
Very good :-)!
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:50 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Here's my launch ramp .....
That ramp looks very useful and the start works well. But I guess in the future you will simply fly it out of your hand?

Quote:
Still can't get the landing right.
Just a few more practice runs and the anticipation that it will pitch up if you go slow and cut the engines !

Cheers,
Henrik
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:01 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,061 Posts
Experimenting with syncing ailerons with the elevators?

Hi there,
as I crashed my MiG straight into the ground, I had to repair it. I bought the foam-only kit and put all the electronic components from the first, crashed model into it. This is pretty straightforward, as the kit comes in such good quality and with such a high degree of prefabrication.

However, I used the opportunity to have a more flexible setup:
  • I used two independent wires for the two elevator servos, so that they can be independently controlled. It is not a y-cable anymore.
  • I used two reverse servos for the elevators, not one normal and one reversed.

So, the first and obvious option is to connect the elevator servos directly via y-cables to the horizontal TV units (TV1 and TV2). They right nozzle now goes in sync with the right elevator and vice versa for the left. This is a nice improvement, as we now have aileron functionality in the elevators too, not just in the ailerons themselves and the TV units.

The second and less obvious option are the ailerons. They can also be controlled independently now, if one does not use a y-cable. Currently, I use them only for the aileron function, together with the elevators and TV units. But it would be possible to also use them as a "support" for the elevator function. In this case, e.g. if both elevators and TV nozzles are "up", also both ailerons would go "up".

This setup is often used by Lanxiang on their jets. I don't like it much, because it looks as if the "ailerons up" method will kill the lift on the main wings. But people have argued in favour of it. So what do you think of it with respect to the MiG?

Thanks and cheers,
Henrik
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:54 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
That ramp looks very useful and the start works well. But I guess in the future you will simply fly it out of your hand?

Just a few more practice runs and the anticipation that it will pitch up if you go slow and cut the engines !

Cheers,
Henrik
My flying site has several of those set-up tables. I thought why not use one to launch the Mig. I'm going to try the same trick with my Scimitar to see if it has enough poop to do it.
It'll be a while yet before I get up enough nerve to let it go out of my hand. In my mind, I know it has enough thrust to do it. I'm just not so sure I can get it out of a high angle hover like that. So far, I'm just flying it around like a normal EDF. It's quite thrilling to watch. I've got the CG quite far forward for that purpose so it doesn't pitch up much on throttle off.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined May 2004
69 Posts
Congratulations by flight, very good. also flew my first time on Saturday.
even using the manual setup, I found very sensitive to aileron and elevator.
I want to fly without wind to trim the plane.
rogerio is offline Find More Posts by rogerio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerio View Post
Congratulations by flight, very good. also flew my first time on Saturday.
even using the manual setup, I found very sensitive to aileron and elevator.
I want to fly without wind to trim the plane.
Yes, I agree about the sensitivity. With me, it's more the aileron. I have to dial up the expo on that one a lot. What the video didn't show was some of the stuff in the middle where I almost lost it when I flipped over after the plane got too far from me to see it easily. Luckily, I realized it was upside down and I gave it full down elevator to get some altitude before flipping back over. It was a butt clenching moment. I'm a long way from taming this beast.
I'm also flying it without gyro for the time being.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined May 2004
69 Posts
Somente has a video of pilot launching himself the jet?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:48 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,981 Posts
Quote:
Somente has a video of pilot launching himself the jet?
Here's one:
Sebart Mig 29 Flying at Lucerne Dry Lake bed (5 min 11 sec)
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined May 2004
69 Posts
Thank xviper. We have to trainer so much.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:05 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,981 Posts
Quote:
Thank xviper. We have to trainer so much.
Indeed. Getting it up in the air and flying it around is no problem. Hovering and landing it softly is my biggest challenge.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined May 2004
69 Posts
You're right.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:21 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Jun 2006
210 Posts
Hi guys; new to the thread and I do fly EDF's - had my eye on this one for a few monthes so thought I could ask some advice before considering a buy.
Just how easy is this to hand launch as I saw the video of the young boy doing it by one hand; his zoomed up no probs. Can I expect this on "stock" power and what size batt gives ample power and yet doesn't weight too much to degrade the power ???
Did anybody make a "pro/con" list on this plane ??? Appreciate any comments
"TIMBITS" is offline Find More Posts by "TIMBITS"