HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:57 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,211 Posts
Agreed with the others, the rudder and nozzle side-to-side servo are on a y-cord, there is no mix to make them move together as rudder and nozzles ALWAYS move together, no matter what flight mode selected...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:12 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impailer View Post
Finally - are you certain your RX/Servos are getting enough power? (i.e. good battery)
This might have something to do with it. I've pulled the red wire out of the throttle plug and I'm using an external 5amp BEC that's powered by a 7.4, 2s battery. Everything works except the rudder vector servo on the nozzles. I know it works as I've tested it by plugging the "rudder" plug on a servo tester. Then both the main rudders and nozzles work in unison.
I may just eliminate the gyro altogether if I can't figure it out. There's the last mix to do with GEAR>GEAR that I can't figure out on the DX8. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. It's not actually a mix but it may be assigning gyro function of a particular switch.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:29 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
This might have something to do with it. I've pulled the red wire out of the throttle plug and I'm using an external 5amp BEC that's powered by a 7.4, 2s battery. Everything works except the rudder vector servo on the nozzles. I know it works as I've tested it by plugging the "rudder" plug on a servo tester. Then both the main rudders and nozzles work in unison.
I may just eliminate the gyro altogether if I can't figure it out. There's the last mix to do with GEAR>GEAR that I can't figure out on the DX8. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. It's not actually a mix but it may be assigning gyro function of a particular switch.
The gyro is assigned to the gear switch and only active when the flight mode is "2", the gear-to-gear mix is for the gyro sensitivity...

Jack
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:15 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
The gyro is assigned to the gear switch and only active when the flight mode is "2", the gear-to-gear mix is for the gyro sensitivity...

Jack
I have no cases, regardless of switch position, when the rudder vector servo is energized. Even adjusting the rudder sub-trim does nothing for that servo, only the main rudder surfaces.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:45 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,211 Posts
Quote:
I have no cases, regardless of switch position, when the rudder vector servo is energized. Even adjusting the rudder sub-trim does nothing for that servo, only the main rudder surfaces.
Sounds like a bad servo or y-splitter...

Jack
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:18 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Sounds like a bad servo or y-splitter...

Jack
The servo works in conjunction with the main rudders when connected to a servo tester directly.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:32 PM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
828 Posts
Quote:
The servo works in conjunction with the main rudders when connected to a servo tester directly.
I thought u said it needed a lot of servoteste input to work properly, or did I misread your post? It could suggest bad servo.

Can u upload a vid for us all to see, do we can help some more?
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:08 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
I thought u said it needed a lot of servoteste input to work properly, or did I misread your post? It could suggest bad servo.

Can u upload a vid for us all to see, do we can help some more?
Yes, I did say that. The vector servo reacts, but slowly and in a delayed manner. That's when it's still going through a non-powered gyro. I'm going to try the suggestion made earlier about taking the gyro out of the equation and see how the servo acts when not going through the gyro at all.
If this is a bust, I'll make a video.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:14 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
I just removed the gyro from the equation by pulling the plug from the gear channel. Hooked up the main rudders and the vector rudder to a "Y" and plugged into the rudder channel. Vector now works perfectly in unison with main rudders, no delay and at proper speed.
It's got to be the gyro, gyro settings or my inability to program it correctly in the TX. I'm going to fly it like this for the time being and just not do anything daring at low altitude till I get the hang of it or till I find a solution to the gyro situation.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:04 AM
Joined Jun 2005
828 Posts
Quote:
I just removed the gyro from the equation by pulling the plug from the gear channel. Hooked up the main rudders and the vector rudder to a "Y" and plugged into the rudder channel. Vector now works perfectly in unison with main rudders, no delay and at proper speed.
It's got to be the gyro, gyro settings or my inability to program it correctly in the TX. I'm going to fly it like this for the time being and just not do anything daring at low altitude till I get the hang of it or till I find a solution to the gyro situation.
Good to hear you sorted it! I use a $10 gyro in mine, so you dont need to spend mega-bucks to put a new one in.

that said, mine flies well with out the gyro enabled!

good luck - keep us posted.

EDIT: although somewhat weird that the Rudder and Vector were not both affected by the Gyro (as they should have both been on a Y-lead through it) I wonder if there is merit in the suggestion you had a dodgy y-lead?
Last edited by Impailer; Sep 26, 2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:07 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Good to hear you sorted it! I use a $10 gyro in mine, so you dont need to spend mega-bucks to put a new one in.

that said, mine flies well with out the gyro enabled!

good luck - keep us posted.

EDIT: although somewhat weird that the Rudder and Vector were not both affected by the Gyro (as they should have both been on a Y-lead through it) I wonder if there is merit in the suggestion you had a dodgy y-lead?
Although the main rudders and the vector servo (via the gyro) are "Y'd" together, the main rudder servos don't go through the gyro. However, you just may have found the problem. When I removed the gyro from the equation, I also removed the stock Y from the equation. I unplugged the vector servo from the gyro and the main rudders from the old Y and used my own. After I maiden it, I'll try another Y and see what happens.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:24 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
487 Posts
Since the discussion has shifted to rudders and servos and such, I thought I'd resurface and ask my question again I never did find an answer for... it's what is preventing me from maidening:

I bought the mig29 kit form. The servo that controls the rudder TV nozzles looks to require a fairly long arm. I have yet to find a arm long enough to engage full throws. I have T-pro MG90s installed all around. I haven't yet found an arm long enough that fits on the servo gear.

I am open to purchasing another 9G servo that has this illusive arm I'm looking for.

Any suggestions please?
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:21 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
Since the discussion has shifted to rudders and servos and such, I thought I'd resurface and ask my question again I never did find an answer for... it's what is preventing me from maidening:

I bought the mig29 kit form. The servo that controls the rudder TV nozzles looks to require a fairly long arm. I have yet to find a arm long enough to engage full throws. I have T-pro MG90s installed all around. I haven't yet found an arm long enough that fits on the servo gear.

I am open to purchasing another 9G servo that has this illusive arm I'm looking for.

Any suggestions please?
Go to SNHobbies in New Westminster and see if these will fit your servo:
http://www.snhobbies.com/product_inf...aaf8245ad2eaaf
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Jun 2005
828 Posts
Quote:
Although the main rudders and the vector servo (via the gyro) are "Y'd" together, the main rudder servos don't go through the gyro. However, you just may have found the problem. When I removed the gyro from the equation, I also removed the stock Y from the equation. I unplugged the vector servo from the gyro and the main rudders from the old Y and used my own. After I maiden it, I'll try another Y and see what happens.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Right, that explains my confusion. My rudder and vector to via the gyro!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:16 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,211 Posts
I'm confused! The Rudder channel is both the rudders AND nozzles, so no matter gyro or not, they will BOTH move together, always. If you said the rudders are moving but the gyro is affecting the nozzle movement, something still seems odd, they should react together...

Jack