HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2011, 06:39 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Hi guys, here are a few links that I have saved over the years:

http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/
http://www.sailsetc.com/

I used to have quite a few more, but because of computer crashes I have lost them.

I know that there is at least one shop somewere in Florida that specializes in R/C Sailboats but I do not have the name, addresss, nor a phone number any longer.

Anyway, just my links here guys.
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:32 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,382 Posts
Sackie
I don't think midwest Model yachting is still in business. A number of forum members in the past six months have been trying reach him with no success.
The good news is that pretty much everything he had can be sourced from different suppliers.

I get a lot of my hardware from http://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustralia.com
Their prices are fair and service is very good. The postage from down under is very reasonable.

Another source is http://radiosailingshop.com.au

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 02, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:24 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Thanks Guys .. I'm going to start a sticky List of RC sailboat suppliers..

Been experimenting with taking video underway with this key chain cam.. these are $10 plus $5 for the 2gig memory chip and pretty interesting to watch later..

Also here are some picts of the bowsie position gauge .. didn't work as well as I'd hoped cause its a a plastic material that is a bit too stiff, so it curls up at teh corners and doesn't stick to a curved surface.. i will see if a little dab of CA on the corners may fixit.
Made at 15 minute tape of 15 second countdowns to practice starts with .. they come a bit fast, but it's easy to skip one if your not in position .. will post it and some other edited video soon as i get time to do it.

Oh and the black thing on the bow is a temp Rubber bumper I made too.
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:50 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,382 Posts
Jim
I have one of those cameras too. Very nefty little devise. I am going to try to mount it on the mast of my Yamaha to see what kind of results I get.

If you want to see a really terrific video clip on Hoghappy's truely amazing "racing tactics" it shows how he wins most every race he enters.

Check out the first minute of Hoghappy's or "Crash" as his friends call him. It is at the link below intitled Crash's Crashes Vol. 1
Crash's Crashes Vol. 1 (3 min 38 sec)

Boomer
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:25 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Boomer
you're right that is a very cool video.. loved watching it.. and I know you are kidding about HogHappy's racing tactics..

I'm sad to report that after spending a bit of time editing a lot of boring scenes from a couple keycam videos,.. and adding in a music track.. the thing wouldn't render to a MPEG-2 or to a MP4 file without stopping with an error in my Pinnacle 14 Ultimate video editor.

So, i can't save it to YouTube or Vimeo .. aargh.. had the same issue with the FlipHD cam videos using Pinnacle too..

I can see, play and edit them them just fine.. but can't render them to a file so it's pointless. I will try doing it again with the Windows Media File video editor next..

Good luck with yours.. I may do some short ones .. say of a couple starts at the line alone.. and as long as I don't edit them i can post them.. but they need to be edited into MP4's since they're so big normally.

Regards, JimS
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:35 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,382 Posts
Jim
I like to present his video that way - makes it more fun to watch. I laugh out loud (LOL) each time I watch it. He told me the other boat is his wife's.

That makes it even more interesting.

Can you down load or copy the edited video to a DVD, then re-record it in a different format? Kind of work around - or tricking it?

Boomer
Old Mar 02, 2011, 09:10 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Jim
I like to present his video that way - makes it more fun to watch. I laugh out loud (LOL) each time I watch it. He told me the other boat is his wife's.

That makes it even more interesting.

Can you down load or copy the edited video to a DVD, then re-record it in a different format? Kind of work around - or tricking it?

Boomer
Pretty neat having a wife that's that interested in RC sailing.. sadly I'll bet fewer that 1 in 500 want to get behind the sticks.. (mine included)

As to rendering to a DCD format it now chokes when I try that as well as all the other 10 output formats I have tried.. ticks me off too cause i used to edit keycam videos all the time when I shot them about a year ago from my gliders, but since that time both the s/w in the key cam, and my Pinnical 14 were "upgraded" .. I haven't given up tho..
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:09 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Got a new used mast and sail rig today.. :)

By stroke of sheer luck one of the local ODOM sailors put an ad in the Argonauts newsletter and I called Fillipo immediately.. he sold me the rig! Yeah!

but the turnbuckle rigging fitting for the shroud lines won't mate with the ones on my boat (shown below) properly. So, i wrote SailSet UK and am asking how much there's shipped are If you have a couple of these identical fittings you would be willing to sell via payPal please let me know Ok.. I think the SailSet part Number is 30-030 it's threaded screw inside is 3.0 mm and outside it's about 4.0mm
Last edited by jims123; Mar 03, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:58 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
$32.00 Tx/ Rx 2.4Gig radio combo shipped

Any one else tried one of these?
seemed too good to pass up.. I'll review it for you once it's here but for no other reason than to simply have a spare ready to go; i just ordered this from hobbypartz.com.. I also see they've already sold out of the $9.00 receivers.. I see it's getting 5 start reviews too. Only bad thing is you have to be on a computer to program it initially. I haven't ported my boat thru the house yet.. wife's gonna love that.. (no laptop here.. only iPad)

Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:13 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
A reply from ODOM Help

Thanks very much for the informative reply

fortunately and by complete surprise I found a used ODOM rig with sails here yesterday and bought it, so I no longer need all these parts..

not till I buy a complete kit later this year if I can talk the wife into it, (or an IOM)..

Regards, JimS #99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: odomhelp@modelyachting.com [mailtodomhelp@modelyachting.com]
Sent: Wed 3/2/2011 7:29 PM
To: Snodgrass, James
Subject: Re: ODOM Hardware Kit and a new ODOM mast

Hello,
Yes the kits are available but the mast are not yet here from the supplier..
It will be several weeks yet .. we have been out of mast for some time now,
we look forward to the new shipment and will tell everyone
Also all the parts that make up the rig kit are at .... sailsetc.com
The mast crane is the only part not supplied by Sailsetc..
and that can be just about any thing as long as it is the proper length..

Odom help

------Original Mail------

Sent: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:16:32 -0800
Subject: ODOM Hardware Kit and a new ODOM mast

I would like to purchase this kit .. and also get a new mast to go with
it please .. I am doing so to allow me to switch sails easily by simply
swapping the entire rig on my current ODOM #99 boat.

Is this kit, and a spare mast available please.. please reply to both..
or better yet call me..

ODOM Hardware Kit: - $119.00 - Includes a boom vang/gooseneck, masthead
crane, topping lift fitting, rigging wire, line (2 sizes), bowsies,
steering linkage, assorted mast and boom fittings, and all deck hardware
needed to complete your ODOM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
[QUOTE=jims123;17564230.. but can't render them to a file so it's pointless. I will try doing it again with the Windows Media File video editor next..
[/QUOTE]

You might try Windows Live Movie Maker if it fits your PC. Also, I've used the free "Super encoder" to change video encoding when trying to make some video file work.

I was just looking at getting a new inexpensive TX/RX. The one you mentioned looks good, so I ordered one. Thanks.

Regarding the rigging screws you are looking for - sorry, I don't have any extras but I noticed that the one in your picture has two nuts on it. Where did you find extra 3mm nuts? I lost one on a rigging screw and have never found a replacement. Currently I use a piece of tape.

Jack
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:37 AM
I Can Crash Anything
Yuma,Az / Westport,Wa
Joined Jul 2008
37 Posts
parts

Jim, you have a PM.

Dave
ICCA is offline Find More Posts by ICCA
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:44 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Jack,
yes Thanks.. I will try the WLMM app on my Win 7 64 bit machine and see if it chokes too..

I noticed these cres? 3mm nuts are available up on the SailSet web site.. and that only one nut comes with the stock fitting, so I'll order some extras and when they get here.. I can send you one. I sure wish their US distributor was still in business. My main concern now is deciding:.. should i pay the $24 for shipping only, and wait almost a month to get it from AUS.. or is it cheaper and fasted from SailSet UK.. I don't honestly know but have asked SailSet for that info. JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatters View Post
Where did you find extra 3mm nuts? I lost one on a rigging screw and have never found a replacement. Currently I use a piece of tape.

Jack
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:34 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
AArgh.. a folding chair attacked my mainsail!

Got home from a nice sail over my lunch hour with Louis yesterday only to find one of the the bungee cords holding a folding chair over the wheel well in my pickup bed had come loose, and rubber boots on the bottom of the chair were digging into my sail. Yikes! Now the main looks crinkly and full of 1/8th inch dimples thru a 6 inch scar near the center and about a foot up from the boom Aargh..

So my next question would be:.. is it possible to use a heat gun to relax the dimples and stretch marks in that spot now, and that as it re-cools will it come back to proper shape? If so i will try to fixit that way. If not,.. well i guess I need a new sail a lot more than I'd expected..prob is the next ODOM Points Race is Sunday (in two days)

By the way, SailSet UK has my order and is shipping the 4ea 30-030 turnbuckle fittings and a bag of 10 M3 nuts soon. .. it's about $30 shipped total, which is considerably cheaper than I had seen quoted from a site in AUS.. they say it can be as quick as a week to get a small packet here to San Diego..I hope they are right..

Ahaaa. all part of the RC Adventure I guess.. Jack, soon as the cres M3 nuts arrive I'll drop two or three nuts in an envelope taped to a card and send it to you.. I think you PM'd me your address..
JimS
Last edited by jims123; Mar 04, 2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:05 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
1,820 Posts
What is the sail material? Mylar, TriSpi or nylon rip-stop?

Most likely you are stuck with the wrinkles. Heat gun - I wouldn't advise it - but maybe some time hanging with weight from boom in shower with hot water running (not on the sail directly) Best chance for wrinkle removal is if sails are nylon rip-stop (spinnaker cloth). Mylar takes a while and leaving in sun with corners taped to hold pressure "might" work - but I've never been successful removing any creases in Mylar. Maybe send sail in and have a good sail maker just replace the lower panel - assuming it is a panelled sail. Would be less expensive than a complete new sail.

Good luck
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Last edited by Dick L.; Mar 04, 2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling