HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:42 AM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
166 Posts
Jim,

If you master sailing fast in light air then everything else is easy. I have always been amazed at the number of great sailors that meltdown in the light stuff. I grew up sailing full size sailboats in Dana Point. 8-12 knots of breeze is a hurricane compared to what I learned to sail in.

Rich
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:44 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Or likewise the great sailors that meltdown in heavy air. I learned to sail and still sail on Buzzards Bay.

I sailed a couple of big boat regattas on Western Long Island Sound last spring(light air region). We had one day of a three day regatta that blew maybe 18-20 true. Boats were wiping out downwind, genoas thru the spreaders, all kinds of man overboards ect! Normally very accomplished light air sailors.

It can't always blow 8-12 all the time......gotta deal with the light and heavy stuff as well.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:38 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Mastering sailing RC

if there were just one thing to master ... it might be doable in a few months.. but seems there are really several, .. even within a single ODOM class boat.

Ah, but to be young again..and know what i do now..

Say does anyone out there have spare ODOM rig (Mast/shrouds/goosneck boom-vang) they would be willing to part with (sell)? pls PM me Ok?

I like what i have now in 6 to 8+.. but would like to have a complete new rig for light airs.. in part since switching the sails alone is a problem on my rig..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:52 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
a Three-fer

Had a ball practicing starts yesterday..

Louis and I found DeAnza was great yesterday and I sure hope one or two of you guys do too today ..Friday.. Come on down I hope to ship lunch and be there about 3:15 and for the rest of the daylight .. i know it will be stiff and a bit from the south .. but much smoother over there..:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...f883c&t=h&z=19

I want to see if I can sail three days in a row without a recharge in the boat.. and still be in safe under 50% limits too..
Old Feb 25, 2011, 02:16 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Tracking minor tuning adjustments

This relates to Post 104 above and in how to track and re-tune the sails for different wind conditions..

It's not be just me thinking I'm caught on the kelp weeds again, (which does happen occasionally) but that some tiny adjustments can make a heck of a big difference. While I'm not 100% happy at the upper end ('bout 6 to 8 seems where my boat currently does best) I want to be sure i can set any tweaks back accurately after adjusting for light air..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NE5BE0

So i got this sticky backed tape on order to tape one or two inch long strips against the main and jib booms and log any bowsie adjustments against them.. Wish i had a way to measure the backstay tension better. How do you do that with a measuring device? .. but did mark a sweet spot with permanent ink, and am hoping this helps .. along with keeping a log to get tuned into a guven set of wind conditions , then back as they change and I learn how to tune my ODOM better.. if you have some tips along these lines please do share them.. most guys are doing-it by feel and a finger tip but there may be a more precise (but inexpensive) ways out there to gauge things better in a more accurate repeatable way.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:42 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
This relates to Post 104 above and in how to track and re-tune the sails for different wind conditions..

It's not be just me thinking I'm caught on the kelp weeds again, (which does happen occasionally) but that some tiny adjustments can make a heck of a big difference. While I'm not 100% happy at the upper end ('bout 6 to 8 seems where my boat currently does best) I want to be sure i can set any tweaks back accurately after adjusting for light air..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NE5BE0

So i got this sticky backed tape on order to tape one or two inch long strips against the main and jib booms and log any bowsie adjustments against them.. Wish i had a way to measure the backstay tension better. How do you do that with a measuring device? .. but did mark a sweet spot with permanent ink, and am hoping this helps .. along with keeping a log to get tuned into a guven set of wind conditions , then back as they change and I learn how to tune my ODOM better.. if you have some tips along these lines please do share them.. most guys are doing-it by feel and a finger tip but there may be a more precise (but inexpensive) ways out there to gauge things better in a more accurate repeatable way.
Hi Jim,

It has been a VERY LONG time since I tuned a R/C sailboat and I may be incorrect in what I am saying or how I am saying it, but you asked/commented about the backstay tension. You should be using the backstay tension to add or remove wind spill out of the upper third of the mainsail when going to windward, in heavy air, more spill, in light air, almost no spill. Also at the same time the less tension on a properly made and tuned mainsail, will create more belly in the sail (deeper airfoil), so you may have to change shroud tension as well. This is why mose experienced sailors have multiple sail rigs all suited up, then they dont have to fiddle with the shroud tension at the pond. You need to play with your sail settings long before you get to teh pond, so you are familiar with the sail shape for various tension settings. It is more about how the sail shapes, rather than the amount of tension in a particular stay. This is the part of sailing where it takes a very long time to learn, but once learnt it stays with you forever.

Strong winds and safe passage.
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:11 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackie View Post
.. using the backstay tension to add or remove wind spill out of the upper third of the mainsail .. Also at the same time the less tension on a properly made and tuned mainsail, will create more belly in the sail (deeper airfoil), so you may have to change shroud tension as well. This is why mose experienced sailors have multiple sail rigs all suited up, then they dont have to fiddle with the shroud tension at the pond. You need to play with your sail settings long before you get to teh pond, ..
Strong winds and safe passage.
Hello Sackie
Thanks for your tips.. I find the backstay tension on my ODOM has a LOT of influence on my jib in particular but not so much the main. The boom vang on the main and topping lift on the jib can also make a huge difference in sail shape too.. I'm looking for a complete new rig and I'll optimize it with another sail for light air if I can find one.. but ODOM masts have been hard to come by.. if anyone is willing to part with one please do PM me .. as to adjusting the shroud tensions that hold the main mast vertical.. I haven't done much with those in part because it is... And unless I'm at the pond on a stand I don't have a good way with a fan alone in the garage to get the sail to take the same shape it will while underway...

What I think I need to do more of is get the feet wet when I know it's not in trim.. and just not be so afraid adjust the problem out after a bad run.. rather than suffer thru it..

I often wish the ODOM had an adjustable backstay servo in particular as well as one to trim the jib while u/w but I also know this could lend to a lot of needless tweaking while u/w if it did.. tactics, and sailing in trim with the main winch alone as is challenging enough for me right now

Thanks Again.. JimS
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:55 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
I like these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hPWPaUQSWo

Racing, alcohol and wives may not mix well..

RC Sailboat Racing (3 min 21 sec)

So was Black over early here?.. I think not..
Odom November 15, 2008 Harper Lake end of season Regatta (0 min 49 sec)
Last edited by jims123; Feb 27, 2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:55 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
I'm looking for a complete new rig and I'll optimize it with another sail for light air if I can find one.. but ODOM masts have been hard to come by.. if anyone is willing to part with one please do PM me ..
Hi Jim,

I actually happen to have two ODOM's in my basement complete, and a previously damaged Red hull, now repaired, with no deck or keel. Though nowhere close by to sail them, sure sucks...

I just searched the net and came up with this site http://www.modelyachting.com/, on the web page here it says that Olson has ODOM's for sale and it seems that he can supply parts as well.

However, I did send an e-mail last week but he has not yet answered. Not sure if he is away or he also has gone out of this business. But if you wish another rig this may be the quickest answer.

Best of luck, Sackie
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:02 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
396 Posts
Hey guys, I just remembered something that I need for my ODOM's, what is the material/tape that is used to cover the rudder servo opening in the ODOM's deck?.. Does anyone know what it is called and or where to purchase it?...my boats been sitting so very long the rudder shaft needed freeing up so I had to pull off the tape and now need to close up that opening...

Send a pm if you know what it is...

Sackie
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:11 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Funny you should ask i just ordered some of this today:

http://search.sailrite.com/?freeText...ail%20material
and my friend Louis picked up some at a Sign Shop too.. but I heard thins in the IOM General thread today:

Have a look for a local bigboat sailmaker and ask kindly if they have any offcuts from cutting out sail insignia or sail numbers. It is the same stuff as we can buy from the model building companies. Most of the offcuts go into the dumpster, so I am sure so I am sure they will oblige. Colours may be limited to Mr Fords black or black, , but there may be red or blue.

Good Luck..
JimS

Quote:
Hey guys, I just remembered something that I need for my ODOM's, what is the material/tape that is used to cover the rudder servo opening in the ODOM's deck?.. Does anyone know what it is called and or where to purchase it?...my boats been sitting so very long the rudder shaft needed freeing up so I had to pull off the tape and now need to close up that opening...

Sackie
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:19 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
What to do when there's too MUCH wind for your ODOM..

Yeah its off topic.. but who cares...

this is me flying a Weasel EVO off Sunset Cliffs in 12 to 14 today
got some other interesting video while sailing over the past two days but need time to edit it.. P.S it's been 6 months since I got the sailing bug and stopped flying RC
so wasn't sure I'd remember how... till 5 seconds after tossing it.

Riding Bike at Hill St Today.mp4 (4 min 31 sec)
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:28 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
700 Posts
Quote:

Sackie
I use wide clear packing tape to cover the lazarette opening. Cheap and I just pull it off when done sailing to encourage air circulation through the boat.
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:02 AM
I Can Crash Anything
Yuma,Az / Westport,Wa
Joined Jul 2008
39 Posts
Quote:

Sackie
I use MonoKote(or similar) trim sheet, comes in many colors, and most hobby shops have it.

Dave
ICCA is offline Find More Posts by ICCA
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:05 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Links Links .. who's got that Link?

I have a set of 50 links to RC Slope plane and parts suppliers.. but not RC sailing suppliers.. and use Google Product search:

http://www.google.com/products

to help locate hard to find parts/accessories and materials for RC sail boats but wonder if you would share some links to your favorite suppliers for anything ODOM specific or RC sailing related.. I hear there are some good boat and part manufacturers in Australia (for example) .. but have no clue where.. do you? if so please do post some links or a link to a site that may have this kind of info Ok?

btw: it goes without saying that:

http://www.modelyachting.com/
is likely a great 1st on this suppliers list..

I just asked about on the ODOM Help Link about availability and getting a ODOM Parts Kit and new Mast (both) and will let ya'll know what I hear in reply.

ODOM Hardware Kit: - $119.00 - Includes a boom vang/gooseneck, masthead crane, topping lift fitting, rigging wire, line (2 sizes), bowsies, steering linkage, assorted mast and boom fittings, and all deck hardware needed to complete your ODOM..

Regards, JimS
Last edited by jims123; Mar 01, 2011 at 01:58 PM.