Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:25 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Made and Tried out some new Marks today

Well the Pool Noodle arrived and after a bit of thought and looking over some of the tips above and the marks some of the guys have made and posted on the AMYA site (great resource) I decided what was most important to me was a way to very quickly set and retrieve these marks. So, I went to Home Depot and got the galvenized 1/2inch pipe material you see here.. only thing I forgot to include was a pic of the 3M 90 adhesive spray i used to glue the 1/2 inch PCV pipe segments into the noodle segments.. it's all stock off the shelf stuff at Home Depot.. The marks worked better than I anticipated.. with a couple wind up swings in an arc, I could easily launch e'm out as far as you see here, and control the deployment pretty well .. and were quick and easy to retrieve.. So I'm happy so far..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Feb 20, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:54 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
had a super time at the IOM National Regatta here today

Got to meet some of the real pros in the IOM world.. and watch them start and finish several times and sail in near perfect conditions.. understand they got in about 30 races total over the two days.. Lots of folks from out of town .. NewYork, Canada, Washington, Nevada, as well as many North CA pilots.. IOMs are very classy.. and I would love to own one some day.. I undertand from one of the leads some are are $4k new fully rigged and (and professionally tuned).

Met our ODOM Class Secretary Jess Atkinson with his Orange #56 IOM too.. Great guy, ODOMs production is looking up too..

took a lotta picts..

and posted them all here: ask if you want t full rez version.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...DAg&feat=email

including these below:
Last edited by jims123; Feb 20, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:10 AM
United States, CA, Emeryville
Joined Aug 2010
48 Posts
SD pics

....cool action photos and what a wonderful pond on a spectacular day. Nice to see my NBRCSC & SBMYC colleagues doing well rep'in NORCAL so well.

Get yourself all tuned up with your odom – the nationals will be part of “race week” next year. Can’t wait! I think its going to be a great year ahead for our class with Jess at
the tiller.
sullyelvis is offline Find More Posts by sullyelvis
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:19 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Glad you liked some of the picts.. if you (or anyone else) can add some comments.. names perhaps to the Picasa album, that would be great.. Thanks again.. JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyelvis View Post
....cool action photos and what a wonderful pond on a spectacular day. Nice to see my NBRCSC & SBMYC colleagues doing well rep'in NORCAL so well.

Get yourself all tuned up with your odom – the nationals will be part of “race week” next year. Can’t wait! I think its going to be a great year ahead for our class with Jess at
the tiller.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:22 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
1st Sail with helmet cam

Louis and I made this video bout a month ago.. it's pretty lousy.. lots of out of frame shots cause I really can't see what I'm shooting at all.. but we had fun

but you get what you pay for, right

A bit of Wind at DeAnza Cove.mp4 (5 min 6 sec)

Regards,
JimS
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:56 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
This was my 1st Race in the ODOM

My 1st ODOM points Race ever.mp4 (12 min 14 sec)

a bit self serving but I took some video of that Points Race 13 Feb to be able to review what I did wrong and better learn from it.. but turned out, it waws a perfect Race.. (for me anyway).. but the next two were likely more typical.. I learned it's really east to make a lot of mistakes when your not way out in front..
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:01 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2010
41 Posts
Those are some great photos. I didn't know there was a big event going on. I was there walking around with my son getting some sun and enjoying watching the event. I'll have to show up with a lounge chair next time and spectate.
USCG is offline Find More Posts by USCG
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:01 PM
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
Wow.... I just fell out of my chair.. got dizzy watching that.. Lol Next time just hand me the video recorder Jim... Good race, Congratz.. you did a great job.. Now you have to worry about me racing the ODOMs now haha... Wait.. that means i can't record the race now...
Krowbar69 is offline Find More Posts by Krowbar69
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:16 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar69 View Post
Wow.... I just fell out of my chair.. got dizzy watching that.. Lol Next time just hand me the video recorder Jim... Good race, Congratz.. you did a great job.. Now you have to worry about me racing the ODOMs now haha... Wait.. that means i can't record the race now...
Thanks Chris
Yeah, i guess i need the gyro stabilized helmet cam to see where the heck I'm stepping and the boat too.. Missed you down there yesterday.. I'm really glad you are getting an ODOM.. thats very cool. see you Wednesday perhaps.
JimS
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:30 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
750mah Day

Thanks Goodness for Presidents Day..

had a full day of sailing.. almost twice as long as the 450mah full day i usually get.. and in those 5 hours of almost non-stop fun.. drained about twice the norm from my 2300mah 10C battery.. 5 of us got in a lot of practice, then Louis and I went over to DeAnza and let the power-boaters have the pond..

It was a great day of sailing.. I learned that the new line on my buoys sometimes tends to float so I need to fix that. I got the keel wrapped round and caught three or 4 times. Also learned when the tide falls you can easily run aground over there in the cove.

Am also starting to learn to time the cross a the start at the BANG .. not on "One", and that it's easy to get in a whole LOT of trouble quickly if on a Port tack.

All In all a great day.. Regards, JimS
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:12 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
A note about how RCGroups notifications work

Many here who use RCG a lot already know this.. but I find a lot of my fellow RC sailors rarely if ever post anything on a web site.

Aside from the fact it's 100% free and very easy to post picts and video (that's why I use RCG), one of the cool things about RCG is its easy to keep tabs on several different things happening in multiple threads..

If you do get a regular log in name and password.. once you make a post to a thread it will automatically subscribe you to it, so later any time there is a update to it, you will get a little notice via e-mail letting you know there's something new posted.. I these get annoying or seem like spam you can always un-subsubscribe from the thread .. but personally I like knowing about what's new on topics I care about.

Hopefully this is one of those.. and I encourage you to post anything you like when ever..
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:49 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Doing better in Light air?

Was amazed to see how comparatively lousy I did at the pond today.. Typically got good starts but quickly lost and of the half dozen ODOMs, Soling 50's and a SB there.. I was coming in last nearly every time..

I think I may have had the down haul and backstay both too tight.. it didn't point well (in spite of that?) .. and this light stuff which was constantly shifting direction 40 degrees every few minutes, I was constantly re-adjusting the sails to try stay in trim, but with little success..

I think that normally I'm tuned for 6 to 8mph.. and today it was 2 to 4..
Any tips?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:07 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,058 Posts
Mainsail - less camber, less sheeting in for upwind, foot off to keep up speed instead of pinching and stalling out the foils. Watch the leaders and sail where they have found wind - or not - if they found a hole. Keep in mind the bigger boats have nice long waterlines and masts/sail area a bit higher than yours. Trim the boat so it sails with little or no "thumb input" from you/radio. Count how many times you make the wrong lever movement on the radio when the boat is coming towards you as the controls are reversed. "Oh Dang, I should have moved the radio lever the other way - oh well a correction is needed". If you are saying/doing that a lot - it is technique - not technical. If you can read the boat direction when movements are mirrored (flying towards versus away from you) you probably have a decent technique - need to work on the little tuning tips and hopefully will have someone to tune against witha similar boat.

Good luck - I can see there is some enjoyment in sailing that is growing.

Regards, Dick
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:42 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
You were right about bieng Addicted and not knowing it yet.. I do now..

Dick,
I'm so glad to see you chime in here.. You're right, the only time I got moving at all today was when I sheeted out a smidge and fell off a bit more to let the sails fill in that light stuff a bit more..

about 4 months ago you said I was likely addicted and just didn't know it yet.. You were right then too. By the way I am sorry to report i haven't seen any multi-hulls here in the SD pond (without loud fast motors on them at least).. I know you're into catamarans .. I too love watching the Exterme Ocean going cats scream on the Apple TV's video podcasts and Youtube videos too.

What I think I need to do is start a real log and put a gauge on the booms behind each of the bowsies to record and start tracking the tweaks that obviously must change to re-tune the boat for such variable conditions.. I do fine, pointing and such in about 6 to 8.. but I hate light fluky stuff cause It feels like I'm dragging kelp so often

Fortunately I got past most of the dumb-thumb mistakes years ago flying slope gliders. That helped that a lot, and i rarely over correct.. but I do often find that in light shifty air.. i can't find the optimal course to get the tell tails flowing or sails full; when heading down wind i easily get disoriented..
Practice .. makes perfect i guess.. Thanks Again jimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Mainsail - less camber, less sheeting in for upwind, foot off to keep up speed instead of pinching and stalling out the foils. ..

Good luck - I can see there is some enjoyment in sailing that is growing.

Regards, Dick
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:25 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
...ODOMs production is looking up too..
That is really great news!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded