Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:43 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
867 Posts
Where does one find a copy of the class rules? What is a class legal boom and jib boom??
Anyone got a spare V fitting that goes between the jib and the head fitting? Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:30 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Class rules are here http://www.theamya.org/boats/odom/ODOM_Rules.pdf

Booms can be wood, aluminum, fiberglass or carbon fiber. They must be round cross section and between 1/8" and 3/8" diameter.

The simplest jib topping lift upper fitting is a short piece of tubing, as seen here on Jess Atkinson's boat.
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Last edited by poltergeist; Feb 02, 2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:33 AM
Joined Nov 2010
867 Posts
If I interpret the rule correctly, then an 8MM boom section would work, but where to find a gooseneck for that. Saw a sails etc goose neck for 10MM round boom, but not one for 8MM round boom. Any ideas or do I have to get parts from Adrian? Ryan
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:33 AM
Joined Nov 2010
867 Posts
Anyone have any used ODOM rigs or parts for sale?? Ryan
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:42 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
It usually takes a bit of adaptation. On my ODOM I wanted to use the smallest possible booms that were still stiff, so I used a short piece of tubing that fit my gooseneck, and sleeved it over the front of my boom and wrapped it with cord and CA for strength.

Kevin
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Nov 2010
867 Posts
Kevin,
Are you using stock parts from GRP or did you make your own? Ryan
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:21 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
My boat was built by Gordon Stout, so it's an older build, back when George Ribiero owned GRP. As far as I know Gordon used many of his own parts. The gooseneck and vang pivots are 1/4 scale airplane wing hinges I believe. I've used ball-links for my home made gosenecks on other boats with good results. The trick is to not tighten the screws too tight to make the ball bind up.

Kevin
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:05 AM
Joined Nov 2010
867 Posts
Chris S, are you lurking anywhere on the forum? Got any pictures of your rigging? Thank you Kevin for the pictures and advice. My boat that I bought last weekend is a George Ribiero hull.
Looks like I will be bugging Adrian for some parts. Can't wait to get the boat sailing. Ryan
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:36 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
My boat was built by Gordon Stout, so it's an older build, back when George Ribiero owned GRP. As far as I know Gordon used many of his own parts. The gooseneck and vang pivots are 1/4 scale airplane wing hinges I believe. I've used ball-links for my home made gosenecks on other boats with good results. The trick is to not tighten the screws too tight to make the ball bind up.

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Is that a fuel filter that I see being used as part of your vang?....

I still have two of George's original hulls, with all original equipment from George, as well as a hull with no deck, no keel, just a plan hull, does have deck frames and rudder post frame. but no water close by and one one in this part of Canada interested in sailing R/C....just my luck.

Sackie
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:51 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Feb Newsletter

See attached..

by the way there was so little wind for the SB and Soling 50 races they were both cancelled and will be re-raced in March during the next Points Race..

I believe there will be a sail tuning and race tactics clinic Saturday the 23rd of Feb .. Kim Robbins and Fillipo B are hosting it for Argonauts members at the Pond..

Hope to see yo there, JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:36 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Sackie,

Yes, that's a fuel filter can that Gordon Stout used to build the vang for my boat. I've since copied his idea (with a few minor changes for some of my other boats). Makes a nice, easy to adjust vang setup.

With the reported difficulty in getting ODOM's and parts from Adrian Olson, you're unbuilt boats should be worth a pretty penny.

Kevin
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:19 AM
Joined Nov 2010
867 Posts
So if someone is looking for an ODOM hull and keel, let me know. I bought a second ODOM to get parts to try and get my second one closer to sailing condition. Ryan
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:33 AM
Joined Nov 2010
867 Posts
Building a new radio board for my ODOM, anyone have pictures of there's?
Looking for a new rudder, anyone got a spare they are willing to part with? Ryan
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:56 AM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Building a new radio board for my ODOM, anyone have pictures of there's?
Looking for a new rudder, anyone got a spare they are willing to part with? Ryan
Here's what I have, 2 screws at the back hold it in place, the front is male/female slot. I made a new arm out of aluminium to get my throws correct.
sbales is offline Find More Posts by sbales
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:26 AM
Joined Nov 2010
867 Posts
Steve,
Looks like your radio board is sitting on a partial bulkhead? My boat has no bulkheads in in at all. Nice to see the picture including your rig. Looks like a Sailsetc gooseneck on there. Thanks, the pictures are helpful. Ryan