HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:15 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,211 Posts
Yeah Ken...great videos. I really enjoy hearing about the strategies and techniques. I even got to see my boat a couple of times (only thing is, yours and the other front runners were passing me going the other way...)

Dale
he4gott is online now Find More Posts by he4gott
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
Ken
Really great video and set of tips tho I do have a couple questions..
1.) how did you do at the Awards Banquet this year.. I missed it so am really curious..
2. ) when will you do a Tuning Video showing us some of the magic sauce that goes into making your boats fly during these races.. That would be a clip I'm sure we'd all be interested in and I'd gladly shoot if the hatcam aspect ratio is too tight..

Jim - I did really well... 1st Soling 50, 1st Santa Barbara, and 2nd ODOM (I only started sailing the ODOM midyear.)

With regards to a tuning video... truthfully I don't think that is the best approach, because tuning is not about animating anything it's about settings and adjustments. I think the best way to tune is one on one with another boat and its experienced driver... that's what I did with Greg Dawe when I was learning. Having said that I would be happy to share with you any knowledge I have... And that is one of the key objectives of the videos I do. And by the way, I am clearly not the fastest ODOM on the pond. However I do believe I do well in the races because of the tactical decisions I make on the water... again what I try to pass along in the videos.

regards,
Ken
kencamp is offline Find More Posts by kencamp
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:31 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencamp View Post
Here is some video coverage of the San Diego Argonauts Sail Points races for the ODOM Class held at the Mission Bay pond on 1/7/2012.
enjoy,
Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63hsSpOVOkM
There were a bunch of charitable skippers in that 1st start.....there was a whole lotta barging going on....several early first row boats shoulda been pushed OCS by the 2nd row IMHO.
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
There were a bunch of charitable skippers in that 1st start.....there was a whole lotta barging going on....several early first row boats shoulda been pushed OCS by the 2nd row IMHO.
Yes, good comment.. it did appear to me in the 1st race that Ken could have been forced (OCS) Onto the Course Side by #43 had he chose to do so, but I could see no others. too many perhaps from that view to guess how many .. and you're are right i believe #43 and others out there are charitable.. i know of none who would risk hitting your boat by heading up into the wind in that case.. to claim their right of way.. Funny you should mention the barging since all of us had just got a quick lecture/ demo on that rule on the grass just before the start of this 1st race..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:46 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Ken
Really great video and set of tips tho I do have a couple questions..
1.) how did you do at the Awards Banquet this year.. I missed it so am really curious..
2. ) when will you do a Tuning Video showing us some of the magic sauce that goes into making your boats fly during these races.. That would be a clip I'm sure we'd all be interested in and I'd gladly shoot if the hatcam aspect ratio is too tight..

Jim - I did really well... 1st Soling 50, 1st Santa Barbara, and 2nd ODOM (I only started sailing the ODOM midyear.)

With regards to a tuning video... truthfully I don't think that is the best approach, because tuning is not about animating anything it's about settings and adjustments. I think the best way to tune is one on one with another boat and its experienced driver... that's what I did with Greg Dawe when I was learning. Having said that I would be happy to share with you any knowledge I have... And that is one of the key objectives of the videos I do. And by the way, I am clearly not the fastest ODOM on the pond. However I do believe I do well in the races because of the tactical decisions I make on the water... again what I try to pass along in the videos.

regards,
Ken
Ken,
Thank goodness you don't have an IOM too.. guess next year if you do get one that could be a new challenge for you..

.. awesome performance.. and a well deserved set of awards (tho i bet some of the points standings were very close .. Good On-Ya!. And Good Luck Next year...

tactics are critical but your boat is a lot faster than most.. and I'm eager to get some tuning tips 1st hand some time at your convenience. Please call the night before and I'll certainly try to be there .. Thanks Again Ken..

Regards,
JimS
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
[/QUOTE]tactics are critical but your boat is a lot faster than most.. and I'm eager to get some tuning tips 1st hand some time at your convenience. Please call the night before and I'll certainly try to be there .. Thanks Again Ken..

Regards,
JimS[/QUOTE]

Jim,

As a first step I suggest you build/acquire a mast head tell tail similar to mine... it's basically a streamer free to rotate. I consider it critical anytime you're off the wind (ie not close hauled). Not only does it give you wind direction, it also gives you an indication of wind strength. The wind vanes I see out there on many boats may give you wind direction, but provide no info re wind strength. And even if there is zero wind, they will still point in some direction. I use mine to tell me how to trim my sails... I consider it a critical item. Reaching and downwind doens't have to be a parade!
regards,
Ken
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:25 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
tactics are critical but your boat is a lot faster than most.. and I'm eager to get some tuning tips 1st hand some time at your convenience. Please call the night before and I'll certainly try to be there .. Thanks Again Ken..

Regards,
JimS[/QUOTE]

Jim,

As a first step I suggest you build/acquire a mast head tell tail similar to mine... it's basically a streamer free to rotate. I consider it critical anytime you're off the wind (ie not close hauled). Not only does it give you wind direction, it also gives you an indication of wind strength. The wind vanes I see out there on many boats may give you wind direction, but provide no info re wind strength. And even if there is zero wind, they will still point in some direction. I use mine to tell me how to trim my sails... I consider it a critical item. Reaching and downwind doens't have to be a parade!
regards,
Ken[/QUOTE]

Ok.. not sure where to get one.. is Rich R still making em? I will ask him..
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
Quote:

Jim,

regards,
Ken
Ok.. not sure where to get one.. is Rich R still making em? I will ask him.. [/QUOTE]

Jim - Yes, something like Rich has would work fine. They're easy to make if you need to do it yourself. And you have a pair of tell tales on your jib too, right? Something you can see across the pond... like VHS tape. Like I say in the videos it all starts with a clean air start (ie not in the back row) and being at speed. So when you go across the line you're at least even with everyone else. Then it's about having good (not necessarily the fastest) boat speed (that's where the jib tell tails come in) and playing the shifts. If you do that you will be in good shape at weather mark. The next decision point is at the offset mark... do you jibe or stay on stbd (that's what the mast head tell will help you with.) So when you're ready to go give me a call and we'll do a lesson at the pond.
regards,
Ken
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:22 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
[QUOTE Jim - Yes, something like Rich has would work fine. They're easy to make if you need to do it yourself. And you have a pair of tell tales on your jib too, right? Something you can see across the pond... like VHS tape. Like I say in the videos it all starts with a clean air start (ie not in the back row) and being at speed. So when you go across the line you're at least even with everyone else. Then it's about having good (not necessarily the fastest) boat speed (that's where the jib tell tails come in) and playing the shifts. If you do that you will be in good shape at weather mark. The next decision point is at the offset mark... do you jibe or stay on stbd (that's what the mast head tell will help you with.) So when you're ready to go give me a call and we'll do a lesson at the pond.
regards,
Ken[/QUOTE]

Sounds good.. I'll hit up Rich.. then call.. Thanks Ken.. JimS
-------

Ken, I got a Masthead tell-tail from Rich R so am ready for that tuning session any time..
Last edited by jims123; Jan 26, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:14 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Pond Pics

These were taken and tweaked within my iPhone 4S recently.. the Fisheye and Wide angle were taken with an Olliclip adapter..
JimS
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
Educational Videos of RC sailboat racing

Quote:
Here is some video coverage of the San Diego Argonauts Sail Points races for the ODOM Class held at the Mission Bay pond on 1/7/2012.
enjoy,
Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63hsSpOVOkM
Hi Ken.

I found your videos on Youtube and found them very enjoyable and educational. I was researching how best to record a regatta I found your videos on Youtube and found them very enjoyable and educational. I sail an EC-12 in Jax FL with a great bunch of very proficient sailors. I was looking for a way to learn from my mistakes as well as show others theirs and to get another perspective on how best to have sailed the course.

I would like to know what type of camers to are using....what is the resolution you shoot and how long your memory card and battery lasts etc..
Also how much playback time is allowed on youtube at the resolution you shoot..? How do you ensure the camera is set up correctly on your hat.

Once again great job on the videos and it is obvious you have the skill to read the lifts and shifts as well as set up the sails for the conditions.

Thank you,

Martin Gray
AMYA # 15914
Blackrock is offline Find More Posts by Blackrock
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:47 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,211 Posts
Question about next week's points races. I've got some appointments on Saturday morning, and it's going to be tight getting to the pond on time (and the calendar shows ODOM first). If I miss the skipper meeting or even the first race...can I get in on the second and third races...? January was my first points race and I had a blast. I'm sure I won't make all the races this year, but I hate to completely miss this one.

Dale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:33 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott View Post
Question about next week's points races. I've got some appointments on Saturday morning, and it's going to be tight getting to the pond on time (and the calendar shows ODOM first). If I miss the skipper meeting or even the first race...can I get in on the second and third races...? January was my first points race and I had a blast. I'm sure I won't make all the races this year, but I hate to completely miss this one.

Dale
Dale,
I am not 100 % sure of this, but if you want.. I can sign you up and pay the $3.00 for you and if you can't actually make it in time to sail the 1st race at around noon.. then it would be the same as having a dead battery or radio / boat equipment issue if you had to miss the 1st or second race... (I believe) so Yeah! common down! Very Glad you are going to try anyway! JimS
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:17 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,211 Posts
Thanks Jim. That sounds great. If it looks like I won't make it in time to pay the $3 or make the first race...I'll call or text you.

Dale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:34 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott View Post
Thanks Jim. That sounds great. If it looks like I won't make it in time to pay the $3 or make the first race...I'll call or text you.

Dale
Ok.. .. but what I would also recommend is getting together with Louis or Ken or some one (even me) and sailing 1n:1 as you fine tune your sails..

I'm sure Bob likely have them set right but that is the best way to be sure.. and of course a bit of practice always helps too.. JimS