Hope to see ya'll Saturday
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:15 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Met Dale No 2 at the Pond today

Dale had his beautiful new ODOM #595 out for the second time on the water today.. He plans to be at the Pond tomorrow and to race in the Points Race as well.. He will be the second Dale that I know of joining us with a new ODOM..

Right Dale?

JimS

2012-01-06 (2 min 14 sec)
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:39 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Beautiful boat. Great job on the build.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:00 AM
It was just a flesh wound!
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,227 Posts
Hi Dale,

From one ODOM newbie to another....welcome! That's a great looking boat! This weekend will be my first points race. Looking forward to meeting the "other" Dale.

Dale G.
he4gott is offline Find More Posts by he4gott
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:43 AM
Jakarta Indonesia
Joined Jun 2006
228 Posts
SD , with that Avatar have you recieved any PM's asking for a date ??

cheers,

james
james carey is offline Find More Posts by james carey
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:09 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by james carey View Post
SD , with that Avatar have you recieved any PM's asking for a date ??

cheers,

james
Funny you should ask. She is family, hence she is fully clothed in appropriate clothing as compared to other avatar pics I have put up before. LOL. People are asking who she is. She puts this avatar pic on her forums that she visits and she wanted to see what would happen if I put it on here. A little social experiment if you will.

What's weird is that her picture is getting a lot of attention and others I have put up as avatars only got one response one time.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:50 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Epic day at the Pond today

Wind was light by steady and from the South at times but mostly SW under 3 mph most of the day.. Absolutely a great buncha guys to sail with .. we all had a ball I think!

Here's one of the ODOM races...

P.S SD your Mom's really cute.. .. ( we know it's really your daughter or a niece tho)

2012-01-07 Jan Points Race ODOM 2 of 3 (8 min 59 sec)
Last edited by jims123; Jan 08, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:41 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Hey Jim,

You are correct in your deduction regarding the avatar picture.

How did it go today? I wanted to go, but was putting a new energy efficient GE geo spring water heater in one of my rental properties today. Happy tenants are good, long term tenants.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:30 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD rc boater View Post
Hey Jim,

You are correct in your deduction regarding the avatar picture.

How did it go today? I wanted to go, but was putting a new energy efficient GE geo spring water heater in one of my rental properties today. Happy tenants are good, long term tenants.
SD,
it was one of the best races I've ever been in. The Club Officers and Mentors like Bob DeBow are really great. Lots of ODOMs in particular this time and tho I heard three or four minor collisions most were inavoidable due to the light conditions and loss of steerage .. you'd have liked it too.. common down..

We had at least three guys racing for the very 1st time in a Points Race with us.. and one did VERY well. My big mistake was in the 1st race.. missing the 2nd mark on the far side of the pond completely... duh.. then having to go back and re-round the 1st weather mark to make up for it .. and then hitting it as well.. put me in dead last for a while. But.. you live and Learn and I seem to do so best when done the hard way..

Regards, JimS..
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:30 AM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post

My big mistake was in the 1st race.. missing the 2nd mark on the far side of the pond completely... duh.. then having to go back and re-round the 1st weather mark to make up for it .., JimS..
??? Why does missing (presumably cutting inside) the offset mark (mark 2) require rerounding the weather mark (mark 1)?

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Last edited by hiljoball; Jan 09, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:31 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
??? Why does missing (presumably cutting inside) the offset mark (mark 2) require rerounding the weather mark (mark 1)?

John
John,
this video above is of Race 2 .. but I will post Race 1 later where I made the mistake ( and will show the problem).. we were all supposed to round both weather marks to port.. and I skipped the 2nd one..then bumped into the 1st weather mark as I went back to it to clear the error.. it's is very likely you are right and I really did not need to re-round the 1st mark.. and should have went straight back to the 2nd weather mark on the far side instead.. but once you make one really dumb mistake .. I got frazzled I guess.. Anyway the How-Not-to-do-it video will follow later JimS
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:29 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
SD,
it was one of the best races I've ever been in. The Club Officers and Mentors like Bob DeBow are really great. Lots of ODOMs in particular this time and tho I heard three or four minor collisions most were inavoidable due to the light conditions and loss of steerage .. you'd have liked it too.. common down..

We had at least three guys racing for the very 1st time in a Points Race with us.. and one did VERY well. My big mistake was in the 1st race.. missing the 2nd mark on the far side of the pond completely... duh.. then having to go back and re-round the 1st weather mark to make up for it .. and then hitting it as well.. put me in dead last for a while. But.. you live and Learn and I seem to do so best when done the hard way..

Regards, JimS..
Sounds like a good day of racing. Too bad I was busy. Maybe next time.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:52 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Check this out Jim. Looks interesting and very IOM like.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/boa/2784730357.html
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:04 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
499 Posts
That's a US1M with a sail number of 111.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:11 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Looks like it is made out of wood. I like the look. Seems like a good deal.