HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:44 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Back In action.. and my Permanent Memory foam transport rig

Tho the Pond's only 5 minutes away, during the week, I've typically only got a few minutes to sail over my lunch hr, so I'm hoping this $14.95 2'X 8X6' foam insulation sheeting material from Home Depot will allow for a quick easy but safe no-shifting around transport and it should save me several minutes rigging and de-rigging.. Not that it's very hard or time consuming to do this .. but I like the
idea of not needing to fiddle with the backstay trim each time too..


By the way.. this is the ASSAN module that took a swim yesterday.. back in action plugged into a spare Optic 6 and it's working fine so far.. without even needing to re-bind the Rx in the boat...
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:14 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
..
Gotta admit that that is my least favorite thing about sailing down there. Froze my "legs" off one cold/blustery day wearing shorts and flip flops, because I knew I had to wade out to launch/retrieve and didn't bring a change of clothes.
Yes i hear you .. It's damn cold in shorts and flip flops in the wind, even here in Sunny SD some times.. So far, I'm too cheap to get a pair of those high-water wader boots and a shoe horn to get in and out of them... I'm sure there's a better solution out there to the launch/retrieve problem but till we get a mini-Pier .. I'm wading in and out of the muck like most everyone else without boots I guess It could be a LOT worse.. least there are no rocks or Red-Bellied-die-in-15 seconds vipers in the weeds lurking around.. as there are in some places round the world.. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:32 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Tis looking good .. gotta go

here's yet another weather guesser site site here in SD.. I just look for yellow or Red to know when it's gonna be Up

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwher...ast&model=true
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 04:09 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
Hey jim! Its Chris... it was fun watching you guys race yesterday, sorry about your Tx... Wish i had my Marblehead with me at the time...
Krowbar69 is offline Find More Posts by Krowbar69
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:01 PM
Registered User
jpparisy's Avatar
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
was looking at this link as a possible $23 solution .. anyone out there using this HobbyKing dual channel Rx as a RC sail radio?
I use this one for my MicroMagic: Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2), instead of the 4CH transmitter at the same price, because the servo courses can be tuned.

Only a little problem, the settings can only be done using a computer.

I never lost the control and the range exceeds my capacity to appreciate the course of my small boat at such long distance!
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:30 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar69 View Post
Hey jim! Its Chris... it was fun watching you guys race yesterday, sorry about your Tx... Wish i had my Marblehead with me at the time...
Hi Chris,
Yes, and boy it was nice there again today...was a good stiff 6-to 8 mph from NNW. They blocked if for a while but did finish paving the North lot .. no one was around but Louis and I the whole time.. Tomorrow's Power Boat day and I'm off again, so we're heading to DeAnza Cove.. see link below. Please come over at noon if you can.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...f883c&t=h&z=19


Here's Louis and his red 1 Meter.. I really enjoyed learning a little better how to time the start's properly.. wow is that ever tricky not to overshoot it or hit the mark .. even with just two boats .. it's quite a challenge with such a short start line..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:38 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpparisy View Post
I use this one for my MicroMagic: Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2), instead of the 4CH transmitter at the same price, because the servo courses can be tuned.

Only a little problem, the settings can only be done using a computer.

I never lost the control and the range exceeds my capacity to appreciate the course of my small boat at such long distance!
yes I noticed that it's got no display.. and doing the set up tweaks on a computer seems a bit problematic knowing you need the Boat there alongside at the same time.. Can you set the two End Points on the servo Travel Adjustments independently at each end, as well as ass in Expo?. also how do you get the little add-on satellite receiver for DUAL Rf Channel ops? Is that sold separately? The price can't be beat but it's another $18 USD to ship it from HK to San Diego via "slow Boat.. " Thanks for letting me know you like it..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:37 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
While the new asphalt was laid in.. tried this spot across the street..

A very nice bicyclist and his daughter stopped by as i was killing some time, waiting for the SD Boat pond across the street to re-open, and I asked them to take this clip.. I'm in this sharing a little concern about what would happen if I lost Radio Control here..

ODOM Intro (0 min 47 sec)


This spot is pretty breezy as the wind comes in directly off West Mission Bay under the bridge and funnels thru here..as it makes its way west.. across to East Mission Bay.
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Jan 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 06:42 AM
Registered User
jpparisy's Avatar
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
yes I noticed that it's got no display.. and doing the set up tweaks on a computer seems a bit problematic knowing you need the Boat there alongside at the same time.. Can you set the two End Points on the servo Travel Adjustments independently at each end, as well as ass in Expo?. also how do you get the little add-on satellite receiver for DUAL Rf Channel ops? Is that sold separately? The price can't be beat but it's another $18 USD to ship it from HK to San Diego via "slow Boat.. " Thanks for letting me know you like it..
Yes, you can set end point adjustments separately. There is no exponential with this transmitter. I used a Hitec programmable servo which allows to modify the curve, but now I use a lighter normal servo and this works well.

If you insist to have exponential, you need to set one of the HELI mode, and you can program a 5 points throttle curve as you wish. This is easy to do using the configuration program showing graphically the stick movements.

For the recent versions, there is no more satellite receiver, and the technology is Frequency Hopping, more robust than the dual channel used initially. I use the Hobby King GT-2 2.4Ghz Receiver 3Ch , weighting only 5g against 13g for the 6CH receiver. (Yes, weight is a big concern for Micro Magic!)

These 6CH transmitters are available today at the HK US warehouse, I don't think that they'd be delivered to San Diego via a slow boat!
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:29 AM
Registered User
seefest's Avatar
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpparisy View Post
Yes, you can set end point adjustments separately. There is no exponential with this transmitter. I used a Hitec programmable servo which allows to modify the curve, but now I use a lighter normal servo and this works well.

If you insist to have exponential, you need to set one of the HELI mode, and you can program a 5 points throttle curve as you wish. This is easy to do using the configuration program showing graphically the stick movements.

For the recent versions, there is no more satellite receiver, and the technology is Frequency Hopping, more robust than the dual channel used initially. I use the Hobby King GT-2 2.4Ghz Receiver 3Ch , weighting only 5g against 13g for the 6CH receiver. (Yes, weight is a big concern for Micro Magic!)

These 6CH transmitters are available today at the HK US warehouse, I don't think that they'd be delivered to San Diego via a slow boat!
I also use the HK 6 channel 2.4's. I have the software on my laptop, so I can program the servos out in the garage or at the pond if need be. Great system for the money and the new US warehouse makes ordering even easier.
I wasn't aware that the Version 2, 6 channel will work with the 3 channel receiver? Thats good to know.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
I also use the HK 6 channel 2.4's. I have the software on my laptop, so I can program the servos out in the garage or at the pond if need be. Great system for the money and the new US warehouse makes ordering even easier.
I wasn't aware that the Version 2, 6 channel will work with the 3 channel receiver? Thats good to know.
I may just take the plunge too but would like to know how heavy is it and can you use a 3cel Lipo in it? Do Lipos come in the AA flat pack config that might fit?

I've been committed to ASSAS's little 4 and 6 Chan $20 Rx's since I've had excellent results using then in gliders for 3 years but to get a Tx an Rx both for $25 to 30 shipped seems incredibly tempting. I know many RC Sailors like locking in a single Tx per boat anyway. The other thing I like about ASSAN is the weight and range and the little tiny antenna is easy to mount anywhere .. plus I can seal it all up easily with this Liquid electrical tape.. I had two little HongKong Discovery 500 boats completely fill with salt water .. lost the servos but the Rx sealed up like this was fine.

An update on post 40 above.. I put my dried-out Optic 6 partially back together and the LCD driver circuitry is messed up .. all I get is the ON LED.
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:23 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Great ODOM thread on the rcsailtalk.com site.

Few of you out there are newer to RC sailing or ODOMs than I am.. so this may be a site you've visited for years..if so please ignore.. but

I just want to mention that Jess Atkinson our AMYA ODOM Class Secretary mentioned this site and the ODOM thread in it as I was registering Sail No 99

I find it's chock full of ODOM History and related info .. and I plan to do some catching up over there..

www.rcsailtalk.com

if you haven't seen the ODOM thread (or others) there .. it's definitely worth a look.. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:27 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Alvin Smith.. are you out there?

I've heard the RPG ODOM I bought used from Louis P recently was originally owned by Alvin Smith

.. and I'd simply like to speak with him, to get a bit of it's history.. if you know how to reach Mr Smith please PM me Ok? .. Thanks.. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
Here's another good site Jim...http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/forum.php
Krowbar69 is offline Find More Posts by Krowbar69
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:35 AM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar69 View Post
Here's another good site Jim...http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/forum.php
Thanks Chris I'll check it out too..! did you make to to De Anza Cove yesterday? I had to bail as a family commitment came up.. Am headed down to the Pond today for a while early.. should be good .. but Sunday I'm heading to Torrey to fly gliders.
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Great F5B day in sunny San Diego verticalflight High Performance 29 Aug 05, 2009 05:11 AM
Discussion More pictures from the first day of MWE Spring Fling 2008 in sunny San Diego part 2 Stelio Electric Flight Events 2 May 18, 2008 12:31 AM
Discussion More pictures from the first day of MWE Spring Fling 2008 in sunny San Diego part 1 Stelio Electric Flight Events 0 May 17, 2008 01:31 AM