Points Sail this Sunday

Looks like a really great weekend of strong winds ahead
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:18 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
.................................................. .....
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Last edited by SD RC Boater; Sep 25, 2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:21 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD rc boater View Post
Jim,

Thanks for letting me know that something is wrong with my PMs. I will investigate. Try again later please.
Yup..I think it's fixed.. it took my PM reply just fine..
Old May 01, 2011, 12:57 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Another Day in Paradise

Gosh what a cool place to sail the SD Boat pond is.

and I love it when an ODOM starts planing at 10+ knots and is on the verge of a nose dive for 50 feet .. that what happening over and over today.. Great to sail with such skillful and proficient of skippers too..

Big Day tomorrow.. Points Race! Should be awesome..
JiMS
Old May 01, 2011, 10:24 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Gosh what a cool place to sail the SD Boat pond is.

and I love it when an ODOM starts planing at 10+ knots and is on the verge of a nose dive for 50 feet .. that what happening over and over today.. Great to sail with such skillful and proficient of skippers too..

Big Day tomorrow.. Points Race! Should be awesome..
JiMS
I was thinking back to a few short months back to your first RC boat, and how at first your weren't sure of how you'd like this aspect of the hobby.
While, I am not the type to say I told you so, I am the type to say that good guys like you bring a lot to the game!

I think of this thread as your "column" in the sports page. Your enthusiasm brings others to the hobby. Good job Amigo!

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; May 01, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old May 01, 2011, 12:42 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
396 Posts
Boomer, I second what you said there about Jim. When I got interested in R/C sailing (a very long time ago) there was no one like Jim around to really get the juices flowing. I just was interested and lived near to the sailing site, so on sailing days I would go and spend my afternoon just watching and then occasionally asking a few questions here and there.

I will state that I am a modeller by heart, I build all kinds. Some R/C, some display only. In R/C I currently have fuel power planes, electric power planes (some normal size, some micro size), thermal gliders, and some racing sailboats. In the case of the latter, I have no one around that is even interested in sailboats, but I have the bug from many years ago and it remains with me to this day.

I have just posted pics of my sailboats on the relevant thread here in sailboats so you can go look if you are interested. I have 2 ODOM's even though there is no one around to sail against. I got the second one with the specific intention to sell if I could get anyone else interested, but no luch there.
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old May 01, 2011, 01:01 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Sackie
I just saw the pictures of your boats. Very nice, and that's a nice "man cave".
you have therer. Your collection is assume.

It's too bad you have not be able to find any sailing buddies. Have you tried starting a thread that seeks sailing buddies in your area?

You could post that on a number of topics. ODOM, 1 M Soling, or just a new thread - Asking if there are any rc sailors in your area.
Just a thought. Plus try to find some of the other RC sailing forums. Or you could get some of your flying buddies to come out an try their hand at RC sailing. Look what has happened to Jim.
Just a thought.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old May 01, 2011, 09:01 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackie View Post
I have just posted pics of my sailboats on the relevant thread here in sailboats so you can go look if you are interested. I have 2 ODOM's even though there is no one around to sail against. I got the second one with the specific intention to sell if I could get anyone else interested, but no luch there.
Sackie..
Thanks.. I get juices flowing alright.. haven't cried tears of grief or happiness at the end results yet; but have just about peed my pants a couple times as these ODOM can get going REALLY fast and in opposite directions.. have had a couple unexpected "chicken" matches I'd rather not repeat. not to mention those Port/stbd clashes with those BIG SantaBarbaras

Dang..
that's amazing to hear you have TWO ODOMs and no one to dail with.. god that REALLY sucks... they're super popular here in SD and I' bet you'd have no trouble selling it. If you'll pack and ship it.. PM me an asking price or what you want for it (or them) and I could get the word out and try to hook you up with a buyer.. I know of a couple guys asking Sea Breeze in Red there looks AWESOME !

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=246
Old May 01, 2011, 09:08 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
I think of this thread as your "column" in the sports page. Your enthusiasm brings others to the hobby. Good job Amigo!

Boomer
Why thank you Boomer.. none of it would be possible without RCGroups .. and yes.. it's a bit more than just an addiction now.. my wife for one thinks I'm insanely lost in it.. but I do have a No.2 passtime believe it or not..
.. grand-pa duty!

Its guys like you that make it so rewarding.. and the enthusiasm is simply contagious .. yes..
JimS
Old May 01, 2011, 11:26 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Soling 50 Points Races at the Pond today

A little off topic for ODOM's but what the heck.. twas an interesting pair of races

These were taken with a No11 808 key cam

2011-05-01 Soling Points Races today (11 min 8 sec)
Old May 02, 2011, 02:47 AM
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
Couple things Jim... one.. great filming by the way.. two.. those are some big Soling 50's.... and three.. I did'nt know i owned a Soling 50..... Lol
Krowbar69 is offline Find More Posts by Krowbar69
Old May 02, 2011, 02:54 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
I like Soling 50s. Slower than a Santa Barbara, but I like the lines better even so.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old May 02, 2011, 09:34 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar69 View Post
Couple things Jim... one.. great filming by the way.. two.. those are some big Soling 50's.... and three.. I did'nt know i owned a Soling 50..... Lol
Wholy Smokes !.. You're right Krowbar! Those aren't Soling 50's at all they are SantaBarbara's .. guess that shows what I know about them both.. Well I hope you guys get a chuckle out of this video. I did get some video of the "real" Soling 50's.. and ODOMs too but ran out of battery, and some of these video files fro teh camera are corrupt .. so not sure what I got really .. I simply edit this as I watch the footage as I go thru it and try to delete the totally boring stuff.. you know.. like where YOU go whizzing past me.. yeah that stuff..
Last edited by jims123; May 02, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old May 02, 2011, 11:45 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Wholy Smokes !.. You're right Krowbar! Those aren't Soling 50's at all they are SantaBarbara's .. guess that shows what I know about them both.. Well I hope you guys get a chuckle out of this video. I did get some video of the "real" Soling 50's.. and ODOMs too but ran out of battery, and some of these video files fro teh camera are corrupt .. so not sure what I got really .. I simply edit this as I watch the footage as I go thru it and try to delete the totally boring stuff.. you know.. like where YOU go whizzing past me.. yeah that stuff..
Hi Jim, the video was a little zoomed out, but I thought they were Soling 50's myself. Are you sure they were SB's?...and yes I did notice the reversal of the start, not quite sure how you got that done, but I was wondering if the wind had shifted 180 degrees...

I did notice that you guys walk a lot, or at least those guys. See what would happen if everyone had to stand on a sailing podium and not allowed to move...

Also, is it normal that the wind is that much less at the starboard end of the pond?...it sure seemed less.

Also, in light to very light wind conditions Soling 50's seem to be able to sail quite easily to windward without very much (not sure of the correct nautical term) downwind drift, when compared to an ODOM. The Soling points the same as the ODOM basically. but because of the very narrow keel of the ODOM as compared to the wide keel of the Soling (when veiwed from the side that is)...have you noticed that?...and that is without the waterline length advantage...
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old May 03, 2011, 12:14 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
"I did notice that you guys walk a lot, or at least those guys. See what would happen if everyone had to stand on a sailing podium and not allowed to move..."

The pond in San Diego is kind of narrow and long, so the sailors follow there boats along the shore as they race. No podiums to stand on.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy