HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:46 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
I always loop a piece of line around the lid of my box.....just in case.....

...and as far as freshwater wash, when I was sailing in the salt (at Mission Bay), I carried a pressurized garden sprayer full of fresh water. Quick, easy washdown before hitting the road.
Thanks Guys.. I wonder how risky is it to keep the mast and sails rigged while transporting it.. Mine wont fit easily in the cab behind the drivers seat (tho I havent tried it for fear of bumping the rudder on something.... perhaps with practice in the wind and such, I'll get better at rigging and de-masting it quickly but I could save perhaps 15 to 20 minutes that I'd rather be I'd be sailing on my lunch hour if i could leave the sails on, and safely port it.. Most of the guys at the pond have two, sometimes three or more boats they pack on in back that way using sail boxes cardboard or fancy ones.. .. so i suppose I should think twice about packing it this way.. one of the best rigs I've seen is carpet covered 3/8ths covered plywood that can slide out on the tail gate.. complete with a buncha metal loops screwed in key places to bungee cord strap the hull, Tx Box, cooler chairs, sail box, and stand etc.. all down snug as a bug then he slides it back into the truck bed.. I like that idea a lot but I'm going to try something different i think.. it should work till i get better at rigging the mast.. and should keep it ALL snug .. will post some picts later.. soon as I actually build it.. Thanks much for the ideas tho.. JiMS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:19 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
Hey Jims123,
I'm pretty meticulous about my boats, and my disel dually rides pretty firm. As quick fix to transport the Odom, I bought one of those "Memory Foam" formed pillows and lay her down on that fully rigged, and she never moves. Ron
PS WELCOME to the best bunch of people you'll ever meet.
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx
Last edited by blckgnx; Jan 24, 2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:37 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckgnx View Post
Hey Jims123,
I'm pretty meticulous about my boats, and my disel dually rides pretty firm. As quick fix to transport the Odom, I bought one of those "Memory Foam" formed pillows and lay her down on that fully rigged, and she never moves. Ron
PS WELCOME to the best bunch of people you'll ever meet.
blckgnx
very cool tip, and yes.. and very similar to what I was planning too.. I checked Amazon.com to see the pricing on it.. but think i will try the stuff I ran across at HomeDepot yesterday, it's $15 for a 2 inch? by 6X8 foot sheet and even lighter.... as to the people, yes I agree, I got an ODOM in part for that reason.. the guys I met there are great.. but it takes all kinds, and most have several different boats for good reasons too..

Regards, JimS
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:48 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
My Live and Learn Tip for the day:

Today i found out that the trick of tossing the boat out from the water's edge doesn't work too good on an ODOM.. certainly not as well as it did on my 500mm 20 inch long boats..; I waded out about 5 feet and thought it was deep enough but to my surprise the keel hit the sandy bottom with a thud and a shutter.. not great for the rigging either.. fortunately there doesn't appear to be any damage but I've learned my lesson... and am now looking for a good way to pull my pants legs up three feet and have em stay up there while I wade in deeper..

Any secret tips on doing that would be appreciated.. JimS
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:08 AM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Rich
is this it?
http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=e...,0.011222&z=17

I'm gonna take you up on the offer some time.. I have In-laws in Ontario CA bout 20 minutes away and we go up there to visit pretty often.. I'll PM a head's up some weekend when we do next time.. I was hoping there was a pond up there.. Thanks.. JimS
Yes, that is the lake we sail at. We meet at the parking lot across the road from the parking lot of the golf course. I look forward to meeting and sailing with you.

Rich
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:47 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
ODOM videos on youtube

Seen any good ones?
these caught my eye but I'm sure there are some hidden jewels out there.. please post a link to it if you have one to share, I'd love to see it..

ODOM Class R/C Sailboat Racing Action. Hi resolution (2 min 29 sec)

ODOM 1m RC Sailboat (1 min 27 sec)
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:22 AM
I Can Crash Anything
Yuma,Az / Westport,Wa
Joined Jul 2008
39 Posts
transport

That's two fully rigged ODOMs in my van. Never had any problems transporting that way.

Dave
ICCA is offline Find More Posts by ICCA
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:57 AM
I Can Crash Anything
Yuma,Az / Westport,Wa
Joined Jul 2008
39 Posts
ODOM time

It's allways ODOM time in Yuma !
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:30 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICCA View Post
That's two fully rigged ODOMs in my van. Never had any problems transporting that way.

Dave
Dave, now that is AWESOME! I wish i had two ODOMs too.. glad to hear leaving it fully rigged like that is not too risky business..

by the way where is that you're are sailing out there in Az.. I thought here was little to NO water out there..
and what's the bumper made of on your bow? I've got el-cheapo sticky form tape on mine for now..

JimS
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:23 PM
I Can Crash Anything
Yuma,Az / Westport,Wa
Joined Jul 2008
39 Posts
There actually are quite a few lakes in Arizona. Most of the ones we sail on are smaller, in housing developments or parks, but there are many others. Here in Yuma, we sail in a park, with a nice pond. It is the "West Wetlands Park", in west Yuma. AS a matter of fact, it's almost in California (Yuma is right on the border).
The ODOM and US1M rules don't require a bumper, so I don't use one, but on my boats where the class rules do require it, I find a cheap pair of "flip-flops" that match the hull color and use a piece of that.
The ODOM is a very good boat, so I'm sure you will enjoy it

Dave
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:27 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICCA View Post
There actually are quite a few lakes in Arizona. Most of the ones we sail on are smaller, in housing developments or parks, but there are many others. Here in Yuma, we sail in a park, with a nice pond. It is the "West Wetlands Park", in west Yuma. AS a matter of fact, it's almost in California (Yuma is right on the border).
The ODOM and US1M rules don't require a bumper, so I don't use one, but on my boats where the class rules do require it, I find a cheap pair of "flip-flops" that match the hull color and use a piece of that.
The ODOM is a very good boat, so I'm sure you will enjoy it

Dave
Dave.. thanks a lot for the update.. Looks terrific. i sure wish we had a nice wall round the pond. or a little pier i sail in so I didn't have to wade out to launch and retrieve it. I woulda never guessed that in the pic above was a chunk of flip-flop.. Regards, JimS
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:33 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
What do YOU like best about your ODOM?

I had no time to sail today but sure hope to tomorrow.. Wednesday and Saturday are THE big RC sail days at the pond here in San Diego.. Will try to get some picts of a video of some of the boats in action too..

I'm really very curious .. what are the things you like most, or least if you prefer.. About your ODOM? ..and how long have you had it?

Regards, JimS
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:59 AM
United States, CA, Emeryville
Joined Aug 2010
49 Posts
norcal odom fleet

ODOMs rule!

http://nbrcsc.ning.com/photo/ll-june...context=latest

http://nbrcsc.ning.com/photo/img0884...context=latest
sullyelvis is offline Find More Posts by sullyelvis
Last edited by sullyelvis; Jan 26, 2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:49 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Thanks Sully, looks like it'll be worth signing up to see these picts
is the: North Bay RC Sailing Club in the SF BAY/ Mill Valley area
.. right now it says:

Your membership to North Bay RC Sailing Club is pending approval
Hello, Jim
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:15 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
This one's a bit farther north of Mission Bay where we sail; and generally 20% stronger than in the bay but is very predictive of the direction I think..

http://w9if.net/cgi-bin/torreywx/wx.pl