SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2011, 01:18 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
April 2011 Newsletter

Notice the Points Race coming up Sunday.. and the schedule to follow.. should be a great year for the San Diego Argonauts..

There's a buncha really great guys in this club..win or loose we all have fun.. and some of the best don't even compete.. others never do competitively in the scheduled races on weekends, but we spar all the time during the week..

If you want to learn more about RC modeling and racing this IS the place to be..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:00 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Light and fluky..for the Points Race today

I hate it when the wind's light and shifty..

but ... oh well you gotta play with what you're dealt..

here's what we got for race conditions today..
The line broke and I lost the hJib so, Wound up replacing the hook that connects the Jib to the deck last night .. hope the mast rake is Ok.. guess well soon find out in these light conditions.. Should be fun .. gotta run..

Learned a lot.. had a great time mostly between races.. did poorly, but what the heck.. at least i didn't foul up too much.. only hit one mark in one of the three races.. Watched some incredible sparring by the big boys.. and got a chance to look over and chat with the owners of a couple incredibly well tuned ODOMs..
Last edited by jims123; Apr 04, 2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:41 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Geeze, do I like this sport!..

Ok so twas an AWESOME day at the SD boat Pond.. Terry R came out in his canary Yellow ODOM, along with Willie W , Louis P and Rich R.. So much nicer to sail low stress, that way instead of in a race with 12 other ODOM at the same time.. and you can barely see your boat on the far side of the others..

We had a ball zooming around in the 10 to 12 Puffs out there.. especially down wind.. almost impossible to keep up walking alongside

Great stuff .. will try to get some video clips up later! JimS
Old Apr 05, 2011, 11:41 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Dang, I'm outta commission for a while..

I hope it's not the servo itself but the big Hitec BB 815 quit responding., I thought it might have been the Transmitter module, have always had good rudder control when this symptom comes up but this time i swapped Tx modules/ rebound, reconfirmed by swapping receivers, and the Chan3 is Ok by swapping on another Servo at the 3pin Rx CH jack plug.. but the problem is there is a custom parallel power wiring harness under the servo tray that has several splices put in by one of the prior owners, and I need to cut out and replace all that wiring before i will know with certainty it's the Main/Jib Servo itself.. there is good 6.5 vdc at the servo end of the harness, but either the signal is not making it.. or the servo itself died one.. am ordering what i hope will be a spare Hitech BB815 now .. aargh.. this may take a week to fix..

JimS
Last edited by jims123; Apr 06, 2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 11:53 PM
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
Man.. sorry to hear that Jim.. Do you think some water got into the servo??
Krowbar69 is offline Find More Posts by Krowbar69
Old Apr 06, 2011, 12:07 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
It's possible.. but i am hoping one of the solder joints in the external wiring harness broke down.. I'll try to have that wiring harness replaced by Wed night.. and i have a replacement servo on order now but it will take till 11 April to get here.. and it has to be soldered in..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar69 View Post
Man.. sorry to hear that Jim.. Do you think some water got into the servo??
Old Apr 06, 2011, 12:09 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
It's possible.. but i am hoping one of the solder joints in the external wiring harness broke down.. I'll try to have that wiring harness replaced by Wed night.. and i have a replacement servo on order now but it will take till 11 April to get here.. and it has to be soldered in..
You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the wiring on your ODOM, Just curious to see what you are calling a wiring harness.
Manny
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Apr 06, 2011, 12:37 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Hi Manny,
here is what I'm calling a wiring harness.. I cut back the heat shrink sleeves near the servo and it has 6.7 vdc there but the servo does not budge so I am thinking the white/ Yellow servo signal; lead is what is missing the signal.. (I hope) no joy driving it with a servo tester, or two receivers and a different Tx module so far.. so it's either this wiring or the servo itself.. I am guessing it's the wiring tho .. and will know pretty soon.. By the way the red stuff is whats left of the liquid electrical tape .. i peeled a lot of it back but you will see it on the servo seams, splices etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the wiring on your ODOM, Just curious to see what you are calling a wiring harness.
Manny
Old Apr 06, 2011, 12:59 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
hold on to your seats.. Points Racing revisited..

ODOM Points Race April 2011.wmv (2 min 35 sec)

BTW there's an abrupt ending at the point Reveal 8 locked up the file save.. sorry.. JimS
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:25 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Thanks for the pics Jim. So does the servo get power from the battery first, and then power sent to the receiver? Or is that just wiring for the on and off switch ?
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Apr 06, 2011, 03:03 AM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
228 Posts
Hey Jim, thank you my friend.
I am not trying to be a prick but I must tell you that the editing effects just drive me nuts.
I am interested in the boats and the tactics used by the individual sailors but I cannot follow the race with the edits as shown here.
Perhaps a voice track describing the action and some zoomed shots (slowly) would help to follow the action.
Sorry to be picky and I hope you accept the criticism in the helpful spirit it is offered. Best wishes, Ian.

ps, I visited your city back in Sept last year and I must tell you I was impressed with the lovely wide streets, the cleanliness and friendly people.
We crossed the bridge about six times in two days. Great sailing harbour.
CaptainBit is online now Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:08 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Manny,
yes it's pretty messy in there with all the prior splices .. but yes the battery goes 1st to the switch then just past the switch the red black power leads are soldered to a Y splice that feeds the red/blk Power leads of the Main&Jib Servo directly, at the same time it passes power up to the CH 3 servo channel of the receiver and powers the Rx too.. This allows full 10C battery current to the servo without relying on the receiver to pass it thru its circuitry.. I need to find the right heavy AWG wire and hope to replace all of it (except the switch).. it may fixit it .. if not i need to wait on the new servo to come in.. but since it all runs thru this custom wiring i can't simply swap servos cause the standard Hitec Connector isn't there on the servo any more.. its soldered in. JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Thanks for the pics Jim. So does the servo get power from the battery first, and then power sent to the receiver? Or is that just wiring for the on and off switch ?
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:18 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Capt
I cracked up and really laughed aloud when I read this .. because I knew pretty much ALL the sailors I know will feel the same way about all the swirly cuts fades and transitions in that video.. I threw it up there just for "effect " and was hoping for some feedback.. I'll see if I can put another together that's narrated and you can actually follow a race, but this was shot on a little $40 HD keychain cam I velchro'd to the top of my Tx and is actually very jerky as I'm walking, and hard to see the boats at distance..

PLEASE do let me know when headed back to SDiego.. I want to get you behind the sticks here at the Pond and show off how really beautiful San Diego is.. the Bay is nice too, but best left to the big boats... JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBit View Post
Hey Jim, thank you my friend.
I am not trying to be a prick but I must tell you that the editing effects just drive me nuts.
I am interested in the boats and the tactics used by the individual sailors but I cannot follow the race with the edits as shown here.
Perhaps a voice track describing the action and some zoomed shots (slowly) would help to follow the action.
Sorry to be picky and I hope you accept the criticism in the helpful spirit it is offered. Best wishes, Ian.

ps, I visited your city back in Sept last year and I must tell you I was impressed with the lovely wide streets, the cleanliness and friendly people.
We crossed the bridge about six times in two days. Great sailing harbour.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 05:02 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Servo Saga continues..

i explained my plight to my friend Louis and he let me borrow a HITEC BB 815 servo.. Hopefully i won't need it .. I'm hoping re-wiring the harness will solve the issue, but now at least if it doesn't, I will have time to cut the lead on this spare and put it in.. BEFORE the one I ordered from Amazon comes in..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O3X3Q

and i can simply give him this one as a payback..
it pays to have friends at the pond.. these guys will do backflips for you if asked..
Old Apr 06, 2011, 05:20 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
705 Posts
I would suggest building a harness that utilizes the standard Hitec plug on your 815, but still routes the battery leads directly to the servo. That's how my ODOM is set up (mine uses a digital Hitec servo). Makes it much easier the swap out the servo for replacement or testing.

I soldered all the connections in my harness and then used the "marine grade" shrink tubing that has glue/sealant inside the melts/seals as you shrink the tubing. So far, no corrosion issues and much less "messy".
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist