HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:41 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
rgr fair enuff.. but you shud be thinking..
ODOM, ODOM, ODOM.. Soling 50's are nice but ... well ODOMs are nicer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott View Post
I can't make it this Sunday, but I'm definitely up for videoing sailing sometime (It'll keep me thinkin' about getting an ODOM...or Soling...or ODOM...or....)

Dale
will also sail my Star 30 form time to time
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
rgr fair enuff.. but you shud be thinking..
ODOM, ODOM, ODOM.. Soling 50's are nice but ... well ODOMs are nicer..
Hi Jim, why stifle him, he can have BOTH. I have both and to be truthful, I find that a Soling 50 sailing is a truly beautiful sight, more so to me than an ODOM, though I only have 1 Soling 50 and 2 ODOM's....

My opportunity to sail this spring right behind my house is gone, the snow thaw has been so gradual that it has all melted and drained away in the area that I had been hoping to sail, so gotta go seek out some gravel pits around the area and see which suit and if I can get permission.....I have been told of one pit that is about 10 mls away, that is supposed to be about 80 + ft deep and about 10 acres of water, will have to check it out soon, but still lots of ice on water surfaces here.
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:20 AM
It was just a flesh wound!
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackie View Post
Hi Jim, why stifle him, he can have BOTH. I have both and to be truthful, I find that a Soling 50 sailing is a truly beautiful sight, more so to me than an ODOM, though I only have 1 Soling 50 and 2 ODOM's....

My opportunity to sail this spring right behind my house is gone, the snow thaw has been so gradual that it has all melted and drained away in the area that I had been hoping to sail, so gotta go seek out some gravel pits around the area and see which suit and if I can get permission.....I have been told of one pit that is about 10 mls away, that is supposed to be about 80 + ft deep and about 10 acres of water, will have to check it out soon, but still lots of ice on water surfaces here.
I have to agree...the ODOM is a very exciting boat; quick and maneuverable, but the Soling is very graceful and the slightly larger size gives it more of a scale look in the small chop and waves of the pond. For my first competition-type boat, I'm sure I'd be happy with either...depends upon what comes up for sale first.

Dale

Oh, and about the snow and ice...doesn't seem to bother this guy:
he4gott is offline Find More Posts by he4gott
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:29 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Ok i give up.. I'll take a Soling 50 too.. just need to figure out how to get both in the pickup .. with the sails on.. guess I can just stack 'em..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackie View Post

Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:47 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
1,818 Posts
Hey - you KNOW you are hooked !

Time for an enclosed trailer to outfit with a workbench, cradles for at least 9-10 boats on one wall, generator for elctricity, propane heater, a side awning to roll out, and a few lounge chairs to go under the awning. For a few bucks more, you could modify trailer to add a window to be opened and a BBQ grill to swing out for outside grilling. Don't forget a small fridge for adult beverages. Could also add a hammock inside for staying overnite to cut down on fuel costs.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:04 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Dick L.
LoL, that sounds exactly like what my friend Louis needs.. he might as well live there at the Pond... Me, I'm happy coming home to the garage.. tho it's still cluttered with a buncha superfluous RC aircraft..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Hey - you KNOW you are hooked !

Time for an enclosed trailer to outfit with a workbench, cradles for at least 9-10 boats on one wall, generator for elctricity, propane heater, a side awning to roll out, and a few lounge chairs to go under the awning. For a few bucks more, you could modify trailer to add a window to be opened and a BBQ grill to swing out for outside grilling. Don't forget a small fridge for adult beverages. Could also add a hammock inside for staying overnite to cut down on fuel costs.
Last edited by jims123; Apr 01, 2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 12:35 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
What a waste of a PERFECT resource..

Well i was down at the pond yet again yesterday (Thursday) with absolutely NO one else.. Louis was critiquing my Practice Starts.. and showing me a buncha trick and tips.. I'd hit the line at-speed about once in 20 optimally.. but am still over-early a lot.. and the big disadvantage of practicing starts alone is it's too easy to develop a lot of bad habits.. I can start fine if i simply Barge down the line on STBD then head up.. but that won't work or be Ok in a real race..

What I really need is more of you ODOM guys .. you know who you are.. to get down there and practice starts, or race with me.. heck with the golf/ girlfriend's family and all that boring mundane stuff..

The Pond is a Terrible thing to Waste..

P.S Points Race is Sunday.. I'll be trying my proven and trusty Chuck Black 99 Sails again .. and have re-rigged.. The CAPO sails are great .. especially for stiffer winds but i don't see much of that in the forecast this weekend.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 03:01 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,381 Posts
Wining starting and racing strategy

Quote:
Well i was down at the pond yet again yesterday (Thursday) with absolutely NO one else.. Louis was critiquing my Practice Starts.. and showing me a buncha trick and tips.. I'd hit the line at-speed about once in 20 optimally.. but am still over-early a lot.. and the big disadvantage of practicing starts alone is it's too easy to develop a lot of bad habits.. I can start fine if i simply Barge down the line on STBD then head up.. but that won't work or be Ok in a real race..

What I really need is more of you ODOM guys .. you know who you are.. to get down there and practice starts, or race with me.. heck with the golf/ girlfriend's family and all that boring mundane stuff..

P.S Points Race is Sunday.. I'll be trying my proven and trusty Chuck Black 99 Sails again .. and have re-rigged.. The CAPO sails are great .. especially for stiffer winds but i don't see much of that in the forecast this weekend.
Jimmy
I believe I shared this video with you earlier in your sailing days. I have to redirect your attention to one of the best rc sail boat racing training videos I ever recorded.
The first minute of this video demostrates the best and most successful starting line and racing strategies you will ever see. Check out this link to Crashes Video #1
Crash's Crashes Vol. 1 (3 min 38 sec)

You will understand in less than 1 minute, how to win virtully every race you enter by using the techniques that Crash so beautifully demostrated in his video.

I look forward to hearing back from you after your next race, to hear of your success.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Apr 01, 2011, 03:39 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Boomer,
yes it wasn't long after seeing this the 1st time I decide to put a Bumper on the bow of my boat.. Yes I have mastered some of the technique, tho generally it happens purely by accident.. I've hit several guys and been hit a few times too.. it hurts .. almost as much as watching the power boats flip in the video, and here at our Pond cause i can just imagine how expensive it is to rebuild them, and get 'em running again..

Please get your butt down here so we can do some sailing.. I'm ready to give all Nirvana's a 20 boatlength handicap at least if you want it.. just need some friendly competition.. Went to the Pond again over lunch today (Friday).. NoBody there except for one Power Boat guy waiting for his buddy to show up at 2Pm.. aargh..is no fun doing this racing stuff alone.. but I did get the Chuck Black sails dialed in pretty good..

Regards, JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
The first minute of this video demostrates the best and most successful starting line and racing strategies you will ever see. Check out this link to Crashes Video #1

You will understand in less than 1 minute, how to win virtully every race you enter by using the techniques that Crash so beautifully demostrated in his video.

I look forward to hearing back from you after your next race, to hear of your success.

Boomer
Old Apr 01, 2011, 04:32 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,381 Posts
Quote:
Boomer,
yes it wasn't long after seeing this the 1st time I decide to put a Bumper on the bow of my boat.. Yes I have mastered some of the technique, tho generally it happens purely by accident.. I've hit several guys and been hit a few times too.. it hurts .. almost as much as watching the power boats flip in the video, and here at our Pond cause i can just imagine how expensive it is to rebuild them, and get 'em running again..

Please get your butt down here so we can do some sailing.. I'm ready to give all Nirvana's a 20 boatlength handicap at least if you want it.. just need some friendly competition.. Went to the Pond again over lunch today (Friday).. NoBody there except for one Power Boat guy waiting for his buddy to show up at 2Pm.. aargh..is no fun doing this racing stuff alone.. but I did get the Chuck Black sails dialed in pretty good..

Regards, JimS
Jimmy
Appreciate the kind offer of a 20 length head start, but I don't think it'd be fair with the newest version of the Nirvana.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Apr 01, 2011, 04:47 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Boomer..
it's Ok .. screw it.. screws and props and all sorts of motors are Ok if it has a sail on it... just come and race .. I'm getting desperate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Jimmy
Appreciate the kind offer of a 20 length head start, but I don't think it'd be fair with the newest version of the Nirvana.

Boomer
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:27 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Ok Dale,

Seeing your address with the post of the picture of that motor boat on snow and ice, it CAN'T be yours, so where you get the pic from?....hahaha, don't think he was going anywhere very quickly.

I should also add, and this is purely my experience. That in light winds, and I believe because of the difference between the keel shapes, the Soling in my opinon pinches much higher up into the wind when going to windward, the ODOM seems to slowly go to leeward, but this is just my opinion. Maybe you guys that get to sail multiple types of boats together can prove me wrong?.....the challenge is out....also note, I did say in light winds....
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Apr 01, 2011, 10:38 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Muvee Demo -Kinetic theme (1 min 5 sec)

dialing in the Chuck Black Sails again.. decisions decisions..
Old Apr 01, 2011, 11:34 PM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
154 Posts
Quote:

Jim,

Wish I lived closer. I would love to sail at the pond in SD sometime but with gas where it is and continuing to climb I have to be careful with extended trips. My ODOM hasn't been wet in a long time and I need to change that. I need to get some maintenance done on the boat and do some wiring updating. Maybe I can find a weekend that we can get together and sail soon. Will keep you posted.

Rich
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
Old Apr 02, 2011, 12:10 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Rich,
that would be so cool if you can do it.. get out here.. yes gas prices are terrible and there's seemingly no end in sight.. if it weren't for the wife I'd live on a boat and commute by bicycle or moped.. but would need to find a way to stow my boat at the pond..They do have a boat house down there but i think it's only for the dinghy and the club's mark buoys..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgault View Post
Jim,

Wish I lived closer. I would love to sail at the pond in SD sometime but with gas where it is and continuing to climb I have to be careful with extended trips. My ODOM hasn't been wet in a long time and I need to change that. I need to get some maintenance done on the boat and do some wiring updating. Maybe I can find a weekend that we can get together and sail soon. Will keep you posted.

Rich