Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:07 AM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
.. I think you PM'd me your address..
JimS
Jim, I think I hit the rcgroup email to you button the first time. I just resent my message to your PM.
Jack
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:25 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Dick L
I'm too new to know what material it is.. i don't think it's ripstop tho..

but will post some picts soon.. and ask my sailing mentors here.. Chuck Black here in SD made these.. I might even be able to get him, or one of a couple other sailmakers here to fixit as you recommend .. am glad I asked about using the heat-gun 1st tho.. almost as glad as i am that I already do have a replacement sail.. well, I will have it soon as i get the right 30-030 turnbuckles anyway.. Thanks yet again jimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
What is the sail material? Mylar, TriSpi or nylon rip-stop?

Most likely you are stuck with the wrinkles. Heat gun - I wouldn't advise it - but maybe some time hanging with weight from boom in shower with hot water running (not on the sail directly) Best chance for wrinkle removal is if sails are nylon rip-stop (spinnaker cloth). Mylar takes a while and leaving in sun with corners taped to hold pressure "might" work - but I've never been successful removing any creases in Mylar. Maybe send sail in and have a good sail maker just replace the lower panel - assuming it is a panelled sail. Would be less expensive than a complete new sail.

Good luck
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:26 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Jack, got it.. will send 'em soon as i can.. JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatters View Post
Jim, I think I hit the rcgroup email to you button the first time. I just resent my message to your PM.
Jack
Old Mar 04, 2011, 01:07 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,203 Posts
Wow Jim,

That ODOM is a beauty! No...I still haven't sailed my refurbished Star 30. The last thing I did was add the new dacron sails (looks nice and shiny new). I've been obsessing about building the PSS Spitfire. I haven't even been down to Mission Bay to fly my power plane (which would be a great Saturday...fly power in the AM and sail in the PM). I WILL get time to sail at some point and I'd really love to see your ODOM in action.

Dale
he4gott is offline Find More Posts by he4gott
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:48 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,017 Posts
Quote:
Dick L
I'm too new to know what material it is.. i don't think it's ripstop tho..
Mylar is usually a translucent white colored smooth material. Most use 1 side gloss, one side matte (frosted look) - although for a bit more $$$ you can get matte on both sides.

If somewhat clear material, but you can see white colored "scrim" (threads in cross-checkerboard pattern) it is probably one of the Tri-Spi films.

Colored material but also with cross threads to reduce tearing - is nylon rip-stop. From distance it looks like nylon windbreaker jacket material.

If these are Chuck Black sails, my guess is Mylar if you can't see through it (white "frosted" look at least one one - maybe two sides) or Tri-Spi if you can see through it but has threads to prevent tearing of the clear film.

Chuck is an excellent sailmaker with great reputation so he probably didn't scrimp and use cheap materials. Hopefully he can/will repair for you. A bottom panel just HAS to be less expensive than a complete mainsail.

Good luck
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:07 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Dick L,
yes .. my new (used Louis C Porro) Sail is frosty and very smooth with no threads .. so i guess it is mylar..

but Louis confirmed that the current #99 Chuck Black sail with the dimples is TriSpi.. none of the threads are torn but the pattern is no longer even..

In spite of the dimples,.. on a broad reach back and forth today a dozen times over lunch i was consistently beating him in his 1Meter + and normally it's the other way around.. So, apparently the dimples don't matter in heavier wind ('bout 8mph +) .. In spite of that, I do want to get it fixed.. and he agreed replacing the bottom panel alone would be cheaper.

I am not sure if Chuck Black would do it I now tho, he's not making sails commercially any longer.. at least that is what I've heard.. I'd like to call him tho if I can find his PhNo.. just to reminisce.. but Louis said he likely made several thousand sails in his career .. so I know he won't recognize this one.. JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
..) or Tri-Spi if you can see through it but has threads to prevent tearing of the clear film.

Chuck is an excellent sailmaker with great reputation so he probably didn't scrimp and use cheap materials. Hopefully he can/will repair for you. A bottom panel just HAS to be less expensive than a complete mainsail.

Good luck
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:23 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Dale,
my ODOM sailing alone is pretty much pure boredom.. i find racing with others in the same or similar boats is so much more a challenge than flying slope now in so many ways.. i was just out flying the other day and honestly that mindless abandon and an occasional rush.. is still very fun, and relaxing..

But, nothing compared to the stress and critical thinking needed to consistently do well racing against other boats, often within millimeters of you.. I suppose F3F pylon type competition might compare.. but one little mistake or mid-Air.. and your $3K investment can go poof into a zillion fragments against the cliff.. my boat is 20 yrs old and still hummin along fine..

Come this Saturday after 12am. or Sunday afternoon there will be a Points Race at the SD Pond and I will hand you the sticks in a heart beat (beforehand, or soon as I'm done racing) just look for sail No. 99..

Bring the Star 30. I'll introduce you to some guys that likely know it well..and can give you some tips.. some have been sailing for 40+ years..

Take Care..
JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott View Post
.. I'd really love to see your ODOM in action.

Dale
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:32 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,203 Posts
Quote:

Come this Saturday after 12am. or Sunday afternoon there will be a Points Race at the SD Pond and I will hand you the sticks in a heart beat (beforehand, or soon as I'm done racing) just look for sail No. 99..

Take Care..
JimS
Jim,

I sure hope you mean after 12 p.m. and yeah, Saturday should work out this week. I don't think I have anything else scheduled).

Dale
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:52 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Cool hope to see you then .. or when ever..seems I'm the pond or at DeAnza Cove a lot these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott View Post
Jim,

I sure hope you mean after 12 p.m. and yeah, Saturday should work out this week. I don't think I have anything else scheduled).

Dale
Last edited by jims123; Mar 04, 2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 05:07 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Lost MAIN /Jib control Only again today

I very rarely have any kind of radio issues thank god.. but

This started off on Post 42 and hasn't happened since 82.. a couple months ago but today, I was surprised to find the "NO-Main-but Good Rudder" problem came back.. I caught it during a radio check before launch so it was simple to resolve .. and what the problem turned out to be was the ASSAN 8X replacement for the original Spectrum Module that plugs into my Optic 6.. simply turning Off the Tx and re-seating it .. fixed the problem in the Main Jib CHAN.. I must admit this is the same module that went swimming 3 months ago.. so what do you expect..

and guess what else arrived in the mail last week.. the $32.00 replacement Tx and Rx form Hobby Partz.com.. I hate to use it cause I'll be trading an unknown for a rig that's been reliable but for .02% of the 2000+ hrs of stick time I have on the OPTIC 6 but since it went swimming I've never really trusted it..
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:34 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,017 Posts
Jim -

if you can't find contact info for Chuck - consider Rod Carr - he's north of you up in Washington and does sails for quite a few classes.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:42 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,426 Posts
Walrus sails

I think Dennis @Walrus Sails Makes sails for your boats.

WALRUS SAILS. 8654 EAST WINDROSE DRIVE. SCOTTSDALE, AZ 85260. 480- 227-3754 dddsct@yahoo.com. Download step-by-step PDF. HOME. SAILS. BOATS ...

www.ddesprois-rc-boats.com

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Mar 05, 2011, 01:47 AM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
158 Posts
BBJ Sails

Jim,

The ODOM class secretary, Jess Atkinson builds ODOM sails. Might be worth a look. His website: http://bbjsails.com/

Rich
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:23 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,203 Posts
This could very well be addictive

I finally managed to re-maiden my Dumas 30" Star today (it's been 26-1/2 years since it last sailed). New rx, batteries and sails worked fine. I made a new plexiglass hatch cover, sealed with vinyl tape to keep the water out (it worked). The best part was getting several chances to sail some of the more "current" sailboats. Thanks to Jim, Kim (is that right?) and Louis for all the encouragement and advice. I even got to participate in some informal races. Great day!

Lesson for today: It's easy to sail an RC sailboat. It's VERY DIFFICULT to sail an RC sailboat well...

Dale
looking forward to more sailing
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:19 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Rich.
Funny you should mention Jess..
Yes I know, several folks in the club here have his sails, and we spoke of getting one made fro me a month ago..

[QU0TE=rsgault;17590442]Jim,

The ODOM class secretary, Jess Atkinson builds ODOM sails. Might be worth a look. His website: http://bbjsails.com/

Rich[/QUOTE]