AD.
Team Better Than Yours
London, UK
Joined Jul 2009
236 Posts
Discussion
Personal Project

Hello,
In my school I now have to create a personal project and I would like to do something involving RC. But the problem I am having is thinking about an idea like a new innovation or use of RC, I need to create a guiding question about my project and what I can create. I have been thinking about making a remote control plane that could be used for delivering cargo into inaccessible areas, a bit far fetched but that's all I have so far.

Adam
AD. is offline Find More Posts by AD.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:29 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,645 Posts
I think there would be too many problems with your first idea.

Mainly the load it could carry. When you see relief operations they are usually dropping tons of food, water etc.

There has been many 'plane' projects, most have already been done as you can probably see from all the different forum here. Aerial photography/surveillance, autonomous UAV's, VTOL's, all basically sorted.

There is very little in the way of innovation areas left for model plane related projects.

I had started writing probably half a dozen 'ideas', then deleted them as already existing, or quite easy to do with existing models. The usual things are related to rescue scenarios. The main problem with model planes is the weather condition during rescue operations. Gales force winds, heavy rain, fog, dust clouds.

One possibility is something to aid the handicapped, a remote 'go and get' machine with RC control, or even some sort of adapted transmitter to allow handicapped children to fly model plane. drive model cars, boats etc.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:04 PM
AD.
Team Better Than Yours
London, UK
Joined Jul 2009
236 Posts
Yeah, I have been having seconds thoughts about that idea, now thinking of a solar powered plane. I know it has been done many times but it's not widely made nor manufactured, This platform could then be used for aerial photography/surveillance and radio communications. It sort of fits in with my criteria and as my teachers will love "it helps the environment".
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:46 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,645 Posts
Depending if your teacher sees the funny side, but include a sketch of the 'night flying solar powered plane'.

One with something like football stadium lights mounted on top

If you want to have a look at any relevant threads, click on Search, enter 'solar', click on the Search Threads button, then on Go.
You should find plenty.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:05 AM
AD.
Team Better Than Yours
London, UK
Joined Jul 2009
236 Posts
Not sure which plane to use for this, an existing plan or make my own. :S
Old May 17, 2011, 08:39 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
How is the project coming?
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old May 18, 2011, 03:34 PM
AD.
Team Better Than Yours
London, UK
Joined Jul 2009
236 Posts
Not bad so far, I guess.
Trying to get as much research as I can, currently I am looking at any power lost if the solar cells are place in the wing underneath the covering (clear of course).