HI
I just acquired this kit from the org. buyer
is this a good kit to build?
This will be my first boat
any tips will be appreciated
Thanks
Gregg
lla is offline Find More Posts by lla
Last edited by lla; Jan 23, 2011 at 08:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:29 AM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Look at the "Sticky-WOODIES" at the top of this forum. Look at Kit Builds. You'll see exactly what you are looking for. You'll find two builds there.
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:05 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,700 Posts
Hey Gregg;
Any kit is a "GOOD" kit to build but whether this one is right for you only depends on your ability and enthusiasm. AS long as you already went and spent the money for the kit why not just build it? The only problem I've ever had with Dumas kits is that sometimes the wood pieces don't fit quite right so then your modeling ability comes into play and you have to do some fudging to get things right.
Thing to do is start a thread here for this model and post pictures and ask questions as you go along. I'll garantee there will be more people than you can handle who will be happy to help you along with good advice.
So lets get cracking kid. There's a lot of models to build and not all that much time. Get to work. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:49 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Hey Gregg, This boat was my first build in 2009. I've found it is slightly harder to build than the Racing Runabout I am building now but not impossible. The finished result came out better than I though it would and the use of resin and fibreglass (another first for me) was as straight forward as the instruction said they would be.
The only time I had problems was when I second guessed the instructions and jumped ahead of myself gluing some piece or other back to front or in the wrong position.
If you take everything step by step and dry fit everything a couple of times before glueing you should be fine.

I took about a year to complete the build but working at a snails pace allowed me to get everything just right. I started a build thread from the start and lots of people on RCgroups gave suggestions and answered questions (most notably Aerominded who has built one before)

Things I found the most challenging where:

Shaping the bow in balsa

Making the stemcap

Shaping the planking on rounded corners

Fairing the bow and keep both sides equal

Putting the waterline on ...level with the water!

Laying down the aluminium Cutwater

RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
Last edited by RussellTate; Jan 24, 2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:09 PM
lla
customer service is key
United States, WI, Sarona
Joined Jun 2009
239 Posts
Wow that is nice RussellTate

thanks all for the help
I am getting ecited to start the build knowing it will be a while
I have a few planes ahead of it
I have be interested in a Chris Craft for a while
A good friend of mine restores the real ones
& I see them on the lake by us
Gregg
lla is offline Find More Posts by lla
Old Jan 25, 2011, 03:27 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,700 Posts
LLA go take all the pictures you can of the boats being restored and the ones running on the lake. These boats are getting more scarce every year so the pics will be important fifty years from now. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale