Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:10 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Discussion
First EDF - FMS Dassault/Dornier Alpha

hey Guys

I have been lurking around up in the beginner RC Electric Plane area for while now and want to make the Jump to EDF's. I have only flown the Super CUB LP up until now and wanted to ask for some experienced EDF opinions.

I have been doing alot of reading on the FMS Dassault/Dornier Alpha 70mm and a lot of places say it is a good First EDF (High Wing/Low Stall) some places go on as far as saying that it is a good place to start with Electric RC Planes PERIOD!

So in your humble opinions, Has anyone flown this plane? Can anyone comment on this plane? What do you think? Are there any tricks or tips pages/sights for this plane? Is FMS generally good quality? and final question is the one on Hobbycity.com tha same as the FMS one? (Does say in teh description what brand it is.)

Link: http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14565

FYI sorry if this has been asked before I tried searching for FMS/FMS Alpha/FMS Dornier and it was not very helpful, I could only find a few related posts and there wasnt much info in them.

Appreciate any light anyone cane provide.

Cheers
Will
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Last edited by cloaked; Jan 23, 2011 at 06:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:30 AM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,570 Posts
Will,
I'm pretty sure there is 2 different FMS ALPHA jets, a 64mm one and a 70mm one. Also adding to the confusion, Starmax make a 64mm one and a 90mm one I think. The one you linked is the 70mm FMS version I think.

I wouldn't jump straight from a Cub to a EDF jet, try a low wing sports plane or warbird first, much easier to fly and more forgiving
Frenche is online now Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Thanks Frenche Im actually assembling the parts to do an Ailereon Mod and a motor upgrade for the SC LP.

Hopefully use that as an aileron trainer first.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:44 AM
Joined May 2009
473 Posts
cloaked,

Frenche is right, go for a mini pulse xt or mini super sportster... But I am sure you will going to buy an EDF so Dornier Alpha1 or T-45 can be a good planes to start...

Check Hobby King's T-45, much cheaper and glides when you kill the power.

Ozgur
ozgur is offline Find More Posts by ozgur
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:04 AM
Pakistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Abbottābad
Joined Jan 2011
35 Posts
cloaked,

if you can fly that HZ supercub with no ailerons, I think your ready to move on. I would forget about modifying the cub - and put the money toward a better aircraft.

I found the HZ supercub horrific to fly in anything above 5knots.

Honestly if you can fly a HZ supercub you will handle the Hobbyking T45, stock it glides and floats and can be flown very slowly, I much prefer it to the more expensive PZ T28D i have.

Good Luck in choosing a new aircraft.
Toyota12ht is offline Find More Posts by Toyota12ht
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:59 AM
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.

I take it your referring to this T45..

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=16273

Are they any good? This will be my last plane purchase for a while so I hope I can have a bit of fun with it.

Are the Hobbyking TX and RX any good? I have a Spektrum DX5e I can use or I might pick up one of those Hobby King kits.

Sorry for all the newbie questions.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:15 AM
ooooh yeah
Joined May 2004
1,570 Posts
+1 for that T-45 as a 'beginner' edf, I hear they are great planes, might pick one up myself. Check out this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1319069 for all the tips, tricks and help regarding it.

I'm not sure about the HK radios, some are reporting major bugs and quality control issues. Have a look around for a used Spektrum DX7, that will serve you well for years to come and as a bonus the HK 'orange' receivers are great and only $10 a pop. That being said, a DX5e should be more than enough for that jet but if you want more features and functions, consider a higher end unit.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:31 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Thanks Guys, looking at theat T45 now.

Do those HK "Orange" receivers work with the DX5e with DSM2?

That would be sweet if they did.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:08 PM
Pakistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Abbottābad
Joined Jan 2011
35 Posts
Cloaked, another option is to get a ar6200 rx from oomodel.com for $40.
I have a few from them with no problems so far.
Toyota12ht is offline Find More Posts by Toyota12ht
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
ooooh yeah
Joined May 2004
1,570 Posts
Yep the 'orange' rx's should would with the DX5e as it is DSM2, if you get one of the 6ch cased rx's and satellite it's essentially the same as an ar6200, just cheaper, but you don't really need the satellite for the T-45.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:53 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
788 Posts
I fly my FMS Alpha jet on a HK-7x v2. It is a great transmitter, especially for $60. I have 5 models on it and no problems with any yet. Range has not been an issue. The transmitter also has a 7 model memory, not 5 as advertised. Easy to bind and easy to program. Doesn't have expo though but does have programmable rates which is just fine for me.
jdlilfan is offline Find More Posts by jdlilfan
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Sorry can anyone post a link to one of these "Orange" HK RX's to me they are all orange and I am getting confused.

Thanks for everyones help BTW.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:44 PM
ooooh yeah
Joined May 2004
1,570 Posts
Here are the 6ch ones I use http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11965 they have a little port on the side to enable you to connect the satellite found here http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13418
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:41 AM
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Thanks Frenche, damn thats cheap.

Only thing that sucks is there is none in the NSW warehouse so I will have to order everything in one from OS or split it into 2 orders.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:36 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,337 Posts
Those little orange receivers are amazing....Ive got 5 going right now off of my DX6i and havent had a single glitch with any! Range has not been an issue. Highly recommended.
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13