Old Oct 11, 2001, 02:10 PM
belgium
Joined Oct 2001
56 Posts
magic magnet building board system

hi

It is the one from greatplanes

Is there somebody using it

Is that usefull or is a waste of money (129 $)

I was thinking to buy one but living in Belgium it is not possible for Tower Hobbies to send me one (size/weight restriction !).
I have an opportunity that my sister in law is going in holliday in Las Vegas .

Does somebody know an adress there in Las Vegas to see the magnetic board and buy it .

Thanks in advance

Joe
jojo is offline Find More Posts by jojo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2001, 02:35 PM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Magnetic Board

Joe, I too dreamed of one of these. Bought it and it now collects dust. Either I'm too stupid to use it or something. $129 plus all the extra magnets and fixtures. Been better off driving down the road, rolling the window down and pitching the money out the window. If I'd had done that, I wouldn't see it when I go to the shop and be reminded.

I'm sure that a lot of people have one and use it religiously. I just don't know of anyone else that has one . Anybody?
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Oct 11, 2001, 02:49 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I had the good luck to be "lent" one - the owner had it lying around a small apartment and wanted it gone, I suspect.

Did try it once, returned to my beloved flat board and pins!
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 11, 2001, 02:51 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
I have one of the older EJ Lindh versions. I think it is the same product. I use it all the time. Mostly I just use the magnets and the vertical braces for keeping fuselage sides square.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Oct 11, 2001, 03:07 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
I think my money flew out the window too. I went through all the hassle of gluing the magnets/plates together with CA, keeping them square etc.

I haven't used the board for building yet, but I just wanted to use the magnets for weights once and some of them came apart.

The little bit of fooling with it I've done leads me to believe the magnets are too strong. I keep rumpling up the plan covering film. I'll be building my first stick model in 40+ years and will give it another chance, but I don't have high hopes.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old Oct 11, 2001, 04:59 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Here's a different magnet board system that my be worth the price ($17).

http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/magnaboard.htm

I've never used one or even seen one, but figured you might be interested in it.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old Oct 11, 2001, 05:05 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
jojo,

PS.

I forgot to mention another thing that disappointed me. It is NOT a building board IMO. A building board provides a flat building surface, as a balsa building board does. This thing is a flexible sheet of steel. I thought that for $130 it would at least come bonded to a 1" thick piece of particle board or something. I had to go the whole route of finding a flat hollow core door which isn't perfectly flat. I buffered the waves in the door with the cardboard that came with the GP sheet steel and it's "pretty" flat.

Mitch,

I saw that one too and was impressed 'till I saw that it's only 12 x 24".

RB:
Last edited by Red Baron 47; Oct 11, 2001 at 05:08 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2001, 06:49 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
Would it be possible to just build your own magnetic building board out of, say, 1" thick steel? It would be magnetic, and you wouldn't have to worry about it warping or sagging The hard part would be getting it in your car without bursting the tires, heh
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Old Oct 11, 2001, 06:50 PM
What's a Member??
Sydney,Australia
Joined Mar 2000
632 Posts
A quote from the site above
"That's right you get one galvanized steel building board"
Why not just go to a hardware store, buy yourself some galvanised steel, find a source for strong magnets, and voila you have yourself a magnetic building board, or am I missing something?
Regecide is offline Find More Posts by Regecide
Old Oct 11, 2001, 07:17 PM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
My building board:
Sheet of 1/2" particle board (any size you want)
Contact cement on a sheet of 20 ga. sheet metal.
I use 3 1/2" welding magnets from Harbor Freight.
Cut 1/2x1/2" square steel tubing 3" long.
Glue a rubber foot to the bottom of the tubing.
You can slid the tubing up and down the magnet for tension.
When you roll the magnet sideways they come right off.
Between the magnets and weights I can hold anything in place.
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Oct 11, 2001, 08:00 PM
Fallbrook, CA
Joined Oct 1998
1,113 Posts
JoJo,

I have the magnetic building board in question and I use it frequently. I also have a building board from Hobby People. It's a wood framed piece of laminated balsa. I placed the magnetic building board on it to keep it level and mobile.

The main reason I use it is that it allows me to put all the parts of a kit together before I glue them with Cya. It works for wings. It works for fuse, elevator, rudder, etc. I even build stick structures with it.

I much prefer it to any other building method I have used over the years. That includes various types of particle board, foam, hollow doors, etc. I've been building on it now for over 5 years and am quite happy with the results.

Art
Arthur Knowles is offline Find More Posts by Arthur Knowles
Old Oct 11, 2001, 08:04 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,955 Posts
building board

I use one all the time. What I did was found some 1/4" plate glass and attach the metal to it. I usually frame an entire wing before glueing it.
Good Luck!
Bob Ruff
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Oct 12, 2001, 10:25 AM
belgium
Joined Oct 2001
56 Posts
i would like to thanks everybody for the prompts replies.

I think i will build my own magnet board .
If my sister in law will find in las vegas a rc dealer i ll ask her to bring me the magnets only.

btw Chuck i love what you use with your building board....it is a big bore (like .45 or what else...i m curious)

Regards

Joe
jojo is offline Find More Posts by jojo
Old Oct 15, 2001, 12:01 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Well, I spoke too soon. I should have kept my mouth shut before using it. I'm building a WES, Tech Antoinette and the wood is too small to use the board's holders. I'm doing fine with the bare magnets. I never did like the idea of sticking pins through the wood.

I tried the GP plastic covering and don't like it, it bunches up under the magnets. I'm going to switch to waxed paper.

I also find circular Neodymium magnets very useful. I'm curving the wood to look more scale-like and after wetting it, the magnets are giving it form. I got the magnets at
http://www.wondermagnet.com/dev/main.shtml

The ones shown in the photo are, IMO too strong for parkfliers, but perfect for the board. I've ordered some of the 1/8" diameter for holding on wings etc. They're all around 12 to 15 cents each.

board

RB
Old Oct 15, 2001, 09:46 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
jojo,
They are 9mm, I save the 45's for what they do best, locked and cocked.
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck