HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:11 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Build Log
MultiWii Copter Build Log

Here is my Build Log for my MultiWii copter using alex in paris's code.

Specs are

Quadframe from quadframe.com 003
Keda outrunner 1050kv motors from giantcod http://www.giantcod.co.uk/keda-thumr...-p-403660.html

Mystery 20A ESC's from hobbyking http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9484

Arduino Pro Mini 16mhz 5V

Shield from Aloutte III http://www.multiwiicopter.com/

Orange RX 6 Channel from hobbyking

FTDI Cable like this http://store.diydrones.com/FTDI_Cabl...l-232r-3v3.htm

The first Flight went well with the default PID Settings and it seems relatively stable with these even in some wind.

Video Of first Flight
MultiWii Quadcopter First ever Flight (4 min 15 sec)

The next Post will be a how to do everything.

Enjoy

Brett
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:24 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Build Guide

So this is the proper Build guide of my quad and i will try to explain everything to people.

First I will give you an idea of what it cost to build

Arduino Pro Mini 16mhz-$20
Shield-$15
Header Pins $5
WM+ $15
Frame from quadframe.com-$105
ESC's from hobbyking-$50
Motor's From Giantcod-$60
Gaui 8x4 Props-$15
FTDI Cable-$20
Battery-$25
Reciever-$20

Total~$350

You could easily build a decently flying quad for a lot less than this if you were using cheaper components. You could build you own frame and order cheaper motors. If you already have a battery and reciever as well as an FTDI Cable it would bring the cost down. to around $280

Right now here's the instructions.

First of all start soldering the header pin's onto the shield. this is pretty self explanatory however the pad's are quite small. Make sure you have a decent soldering iron. once you have soldered all the headers on you need to solder on the arduino. Make sure you have the correct orientation and then begin to solder. try to not heat the arduino up too much as this could cause damage to it. make sure youre soldering iron isnt too small as its better to apply lots of heat in short amounts of time.

After this check that you have not shorted any pins apart from the ground and +ve pins as these do not matter.

Once this is done you can test out your board to make sure there are no problems.

This video illustrates how to do it and check your board is functioning correctly.

MultiWii Tutorial (6 min 19 sec)

The next thing to do is assemble the frame. This is relatively simple though there is an instruction video here:

Foldable quadcopter frame assembly manual (4 min 25 sec)

Make sure that you assemble it right and use the correct screws with spring washer's as these make sure the screws don't loosen. I forgot it on a couple and they fell out pretty quickly

After this you should solder all the connections onto the ESC's some people do not recommend using bullet connector's between the motors and ESC's but so far i have had no problems so far and it should allow easy changing of motor's should that be needed. I soldered XT60 connectors on the ESC's to allow them to be easily interchangeable.

Once this is done install the ESC's and motors where you want to place them. I then made up the parralel wiring as the dimensions are easier to get right. The parrallel wiring is quite tricky to solder but take your time and it will be fine. The LED's are powered off of the balance connector of the Li-Po as this allows me to turn them on and off easily as I wish.

Then mount the Shield on the frame and connect it up using the attached picture. After this connect the RC reciever up and connect it to the GUI. Verify that all the controls are working. If these all seem correct and the motors are turning the right way then its time for a test flight.

I recommend doing the test flight on a slippery surface as this allows you to get an idea of how its working and if any controls need reversing.

Happy Flying

I will post any future developments here and please feel free to ask any questions.

Brett
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:01 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
A Flight from the weekend

Quadcopter Flight Gettin Higher LOS 13-3-11 (5 min 34 sec)

Next step is FPV gear

Brett