SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:14 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,769 Posts
Hi Jeff,
sorry to hear about your parents. Been there done, done that, very, very hard.

Hey, I'm still interested in that little project I talked to you about before E-Jets. Maybe I could meet you at the usual place after work some day?

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:31 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,150 Posts
Hang in there Jeff ...they need you now .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:50 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
I completed a few other builds over fall so itís time again for the Tiger to get back on the bench. I completely finished the paint on the F-4 and it has 3 flights. I assembled my first glass kit a CMP L-39 and I hope it will be a good all around jet from what I have seen in its build log. I left off last winter with the gear doors and all I can say is I have spent a ridiculous amount of time on there operation. I almost have the servo operation all working to seal them up correctly. I did a fuse mock up with now functional full floating elevators and need to tackle the rudder mount structure into the bulkheads next. I would like to do a pocket to glue it into somehow.
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:17 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,893 Posts
That F-4 is rockin' Jeff!!

Anxious to see how you get your landing gear & doors sorted out. I'm doing an F-8 after the MiG and it will be very similar to your F-11 gear.

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:52 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Not sure if I posted this here but for about two decades there was an F-11 parked on a pad outside the gate at NAS (Naval Air Station) Jacksonville. Painted in the Blue Angels colors it was kind of an eyesore (not so much for its appearance, but the fact that they never flew F-11's out of Jax, and the Blues never did either), to the base Commanding Officer (CO) so the CO made a deal with the Naval Air Museum to get a PBY Catalina (which they did fly out of Jax for years), and have it restored at the NARF (Naval Air Rework Facility) before having it installed on the same pad outside the main gate. I have been told the Cat is in terrible shape.

I wonder what happened to the F-11?
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:31 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,150 Posts
Hey There Jeff thats the way to start a new year .....back on the cat. hope all is as well as can be .she is looking like a F-11 keep at it .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:44 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
Glad to see you find some time to work on the Tiger Jeff.
Terrific job on the Phantom and 39 too!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:27 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Anxious to see how you get your landing gear & doors sorted out. I'm doing an F-8 after the MiG and it will be very similar to your F-11 gear.
Julian
Julian, The F8 gear does look about the same along with a F16 type gear. I looked at 16 hardware but for a 90mm size jet the cost wasn’t worth it for my build. Your hot wire wings look great on your Mig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
Hey There Jeff thats the way to start a new year .....back on the cat. hope all is as well as can be .she is looking like a F-11 keep at it .
Rodger, Yes it’s time to get back on it. Family things have settled some but with 2 young teenagers, my parents and the wife’s mom you never know when that will change. I must say the F-4 and L-39 were easy builds after doing all of the scratch builds. If it’s a good kit and being able to having it done in a few weeks has its advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Glad to see you find some time to work on the Tiger Jeff.
Terrific job on the Phantom and 39 too!
J
John, The foam core hot wire wings are going to be next, I just hope I remember all of the tips I got from you last year.

Here is how the gear and door function. It actually turned out OK. When the fuse skins are glued on at final assembly I’m sure mods will need to be done. Foam cutting wings are next for the first time.

F11F1 Tiger gear doors and retracts 0001 (1 min 50 sec)
Last edited by Lmeano_from_MO; Jan 04, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:32 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,882 Posts
Nice Jeff!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:38 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
Yeah, very nice work Jeff!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:55 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
I started on the wings with successfully cutting them from the templates. I want to say thanks to Dan Eaton for drawing them from my root wing airfoil so I could have the templates laser cut at work from steel. He added a slight washout on the tips that I will make sure gets shaped correctly when sheeting.

I have a few questions for those that have experience in this. What is the best way to repair minor imperfections from the foam cutting to get the shape corrected?

I plan on a balsa leading the edge. Do I put it on first before sheeting or after and would I leave it square or start shape it if it is installed first?

I plane on using 1/4inch carbon tube for the wing spar in 2 areas one short and one longer. Is that too small for an estimated 8.5lb jet? The tube is going through the ducts in both location so I thought 1/4inch would not interrupt the air flow to bad even though I know it is not ideal.

What is the best way to get it aligned in the wing when gluing in the wing tube? Is tube insert slot cut into the wing at the bottom or top side of the foam wing? Would it be fitted up to the jet or on the bench for alignment?

Thanks for any help, Jeff
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:23 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,882 Posts
Jeff,
Any rises should be sanded down or hot wired off. I normally go the bar sanding method but I also take the opportunity to fill in the low spots with spackle. After it dries then I sand the the high spots, put tape on the templates and reinstall them before sanding.

I don't cut cores with the LE shape on the template. I would cut them off with your hot wire set before sheeting. You can get a nice straight cut with just foam versus a sheet wing. Plus I find having no LE before sheeting makes alignment of the sheeting easier. This all is personal preference.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:32 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
I agree with Kevin. Spackle your "ripples" and then sand smooth. Cut the foam LE off , balsa sheet the wings, and then glue your balsa LE on and shape. As far as spars go, I never use spars in sheeted wings. The skins will carry the load. Just make sure the joints have a heavy FG cloth reinforcement. My last plane weighs 30 lbs with three dihedral/anhedral breaks and has no spars. Of course sup spars are needed where LG goes.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:16 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,352 Posts
Hi there,good to see you back on this.Great work on the gear and doors.
I'm in a similar position,about to build my first foam wing.I've decided the best way to cut the l/e off is to put the wing in the beds and hot wire the whole thickness off.Should be easy to set the guides up to get the correct proportions on the thickness of the l/e root to tip.
Re spars,if you feel you need them,Vern Hunt did a couple of wings on the Nurflugal forum using 12k carbon tow in shallow grooves in the foam.One length top and bottom at the normal main spar position,and a length either side of the hinge line,again top and bottom.I'll put up a link next post if you're interested.
Stuart
Re the balsa l/e,I was thinking about rough shaping it before fixing,and then using the cut off bed pieces to make sanding templates,slicing them up at maybe 1/3 and 2/3 along.You'd have to adjust them to allow for the sheeting thickness
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Last edited by Stupot46; Jan 07, 2013 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Addition
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:09 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmeano_from_MO View Post
Julian, The F8 gear does look about the same along with a F16 type gear. I looked at 16 hardware but for a 90mm size jet the cost wasnít worth it for my build. Your hot wire wings look great on your Mig.

Rodger, Yes itís time to get back on it. Family things have settled some but with 2 young teenagers, my parents and the wifeís mom you never know when that will change. I must say the F-4 and L-39 were easy builds after doing all of the scratch builds. If itís a good kit and being able to having it done in a few weeks has its advantages.

John, The foam core hot wire wings are going to be next, I just hope I remember all of the tips I got from you last year.

Here is how the gear and door function. It actually turned out OK. When the fuse skins are glued on at final assembly Iím sure mods will need to be done. Foam cutting wings are next for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxzBxQ_xOP0
Looks great Jeff nice work on the gear, I love my Aurora 9 as well, I keep finding new ways to use it without the help of sequencers or servo slower's etc.

Cheers,

John
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce