Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by gardleopard, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 03:28 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
Discussion
Divinity 60"

This is the build thread for my 60" Divinity that I plan to use for filming from the sky.

The Divinity is a KFm4 slow flying wing designed by ApachePilot, plans and lots of info can be found in this thread.

For the main body I'm going to laminate a sheet of 3mm with a 6mm sheet to get a 9mm base to work on. For the KF steps and such I'm using 3mm. The wingtips will be 6mm. I'm not sure what thickness the elevons should be, but I think it will be 9mm laminated there as well. Thanks to ApachePilot (and Dickeroo) for advice regarding what thickness to choose for the different parts.

I haven't decided what motor I should use yet. I've gotten some tips from BatterysIncluded and Jackerbes regarding thrust/watt to weight ratio and possible motors. The 60"'er will get a motor mount that makes it easy to test different motors. Hopefully one of my current motors will have enough power to fly this bird nicely. Motors I'll test on her:
TowerPro BM2410-08T
TowerPro BM2409 -12T
AX 2308N 1100kv

I've cut and glued the 6mm main body this evening. It is bigger than my foam sheets, I needed three parts to get it like I wanted. From 42" to 60" makes a lot bigger difference than I thought!
gardleopard is offline Find More Posts by gardleopard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:58 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
I've now installed two CF strips to stiffen up the wing. One half of the wing is now laminated (currently waiting for the glue to dry up).
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:28 AM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
I have laminated and put the kf-steps on. Its now 210 grams. Only foam parts left is the wintips, elevons and the diamond in the middle battery, esc and so on
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:50 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
I have now taped the LE and put the elevons on. Next is installing electronics and adding wingtips.

Weight?

Airframe: 249 grams
Motor and esc: 89 grams
Battery: 160 grams
Sum: 500 grams

Receiver, pushrods and servos: I don't know, but I think < 100 grams

I hope to end up at about 600 grams.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:09 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
CG for the 60"

Jackerbes gave me a link to a CG calculator for wings, where you fill in your dimensions and get recommended cg back. Nice
cg calculator

CG for testing ( maiden ) 15% = 10.01 inches
CG for allround flying 20% = 10.71 inches
Last edited by gardleopard; Jan 27, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:01 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
Now my Divinity 60" is ready for her maiden. With the battery and prop on she weighs 575grams!
I did a motor/prop test with my 10x4,7 SF prop and the wing felt like it would leave my arm straight up at about 3/4 throttle. I hope to get to maiden her tomorrow, if the wind is not to hard.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:13 AM
Rick
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
596 Posts
Very cool build. I built the 42" wing last spring and I love it and have been toying with the idea of building a 5' version. If you have plans or a link to plans could you please post them. Up here in Canada the only FFF that is available is 5/16" thick and has a mylar film on both sides, one side is clear and the other is silver. this is what I used for the 42" wing and it worked fine and makes for a pretty strong wing. I think this FFF should work for a 60" wing too. I would love to see some video of it flying once it's finished, it should make a great AP platform. I'm going to follow this thread with great interest.

Rick
hammer833 is offline Find More Posts by hammer833
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:13 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer833 View Post
Very cool build. I built the 42" wing last spring and I love it and have been toying with the idea of building a 5' version. If you have plans or a link to plans could you please post them. Up here in Canada the only FFF that is available is 5/16" thick and has a mylar film on both sides, one side is clear and the other is silver. this is what I used for the 42" wing and it worked fine and makes for a pretty strong wing. I think this FFF should work for a 60" wing too. I would love to see some video of it flying once it's finished, it should make a great AP platform. I'm going to follow this thread with great interest.

Rick
Thank you for taking interest in my build Rick
I used the plans on http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1098
I'm working on editing the vids from the maiden flight now. She is a very nice flyer!
Regarding the material, you should ask in the thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1023254 I have no clue about FFF and the guys in ApachePilots tread are very helpful
Old Feb 01, 2011, 01:37 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
Maiden flight

Today my divinity (60") had her maiden flight. I started with my 2150 mah 3s rhino battery. She only needed a little bit of trim and then she flew like on rails. Aileron response is a little bit slow, so rolls are not her strong side. The elevator response however is very good, I can make her do tight loops and turn very quick. I could fly about 3 feet above ground and feel safe. All in all a very stable and comfortable plane to fly. I got no suprises while flying today.

I took with me a 2200 mah 3s, a 2150 mah 3s and a 2150 mah 2s to test with. The 2150 mah 3s was used on the maiden without camera. I have planned to use this plane for video from the air, so after some minutes getting to know my new plane I decided to put on the camera and the freshly charged 2200 mah 3s package for some aerial video. After changing the battery and mounting the camera I took my Divinity up and did a simple thrust check to make sure she was ready. Way to little power, 1 cell was empty on my brand new 3s pack I changed back to my almost empty 2150 mah 3s pack and only got to fly about a minute I had so little power left in the end that she didn't want to climb.

I put the 2150 mah 2s pack in with a 900 mah 2s to get the cg right and launched. She flew very good on the 2s pack as well. I didn't dare to put on the camera with only 2s, but had a great time floating around.

The 60" Divinity works like a charm

Divinity 60" maiden flight (5 min 43 sec)
Last edited by gardleopard; Feb 02, 2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: HD video
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:59 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
The video I got from the camera mounted on the wing.
First video from my Divinity 60" (1 min 16 sec)
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:50 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
Deflections

My elevon deflections:
Elevator up/down : 2.5cm/2,7cm
Elevator D/R up/down: 4cm/3,2cm
Aileron looks identical.

deflections divinity 60" (0 min 43 sec)
Old Feb 02, 2011, 05:50 PM
Rick
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
596 Posts
Ha that looks like she fly's great, nice and smooth and stable. Watching your videos has spurred me to start building a 60" wing this weekend. I'm going to order a motor and ESC from HK tonight. Lets see, I think I have some CF for the spar around here somewhere and some liteply for motor mount and control horns. Ho ya, 6 rolls of packing tape and a half a bundle of FFF. I'm set.

Thanks for the links to the plans.

Rick
hammer833 is offline Find More Posts by hammer833