HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:49 PM
England , Essex
Joined Sep 2009
178 Posts
Discussion
spitfire motor??

hi chaps got a gws spit for christmas so need to make a start on it but im not sure what motor to use i want to use a 3 blade prop and want scale like flight.
hawkguy is offline Find More Posts by hawkguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:33 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
hi chaps got a gws spit for christmas so need to make a start on it but im not sure what motor to use i want to use a 3 blade prop and want scale like flight.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...spitfire+motor
Post number 15 might interest you.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:06 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Hawkguy,

A 400-class 1000KV + 3S 1500mAH Lipo is able to fly it scale like if you do not leave it too heavy.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Jan 21, 2011, 03:47 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
I have found that to get really good performance out of the 3 blade props you have to spin them pretty fast. Here is a video of my Zero using a GWS 9075 3 blade prop.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=48

Hold the bar below at the start or it's hard to see. Unfortunately the motor and gear box combo (GWEPS004BS) will not fit in the Spitfire. Maybe you can do it but I couldn't. The GWBLO2208/18 will fly it scale but just, and it will not be a hot rod.

I went a different route on my Spit and am using a different outrunner and a 2 blade prop. Watch the Zero take off in the video and imagine a plane that is nearly twice as fast.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:05 AM
England , Essex
Joined Sep 2009
178 Posts
Thanks for the advice
hawkguy is offline Find More Posts by hawkguy
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:48 PM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
I don't think this site ships to England, but here is some good information on an inexpensive motor for you. The motor is available just about everywhere and is quite reasonable. I use it on my GWS P-51 and it works great.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...tor-%26/Detail

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:33 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Working on new GWS BL22XX motors.

May be a great choice?
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:47 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO View Post
Working on new GWS BL22XX motors.

May be a great choice?
Very good point. I'm using a GWS 2215/12 900kv motor on my GWS AT-6 Texan (about the same size and weight as the Spitfire) and find it works great. Plenty of power and seems quite efficient. I don't know what size 3 blade prop you would use on it though.

Cliff
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:26 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffh View Post
Very good point. I'm using a GWS 2215/12 900kv motor on my GWS AT-6 Texan (about the same size and weight as the Spitfire) and find it works great. Plenty of power and seems quite efficient. I don't know what size 3 blade prop you would use on it though.

Cliff
The little 9075 3 blade would not work that well with a 900KV motor. You really need to spin them pretty fast to get a lot of thrust out of them. I am able to get about 1100 grams of thrust using this propeller with the GWEPS004BS power system. This requires at least a 35 amp ESC and a battery capable of delivering 400 watts or more for short periods.

Surprisingly the motor does not get very hot as long as you don't run it wide open for more than 15 seconds or so. That doesn't sound like much but a small plane accelerating straight up will be out of sight in less time than that. At just over 40 ounces of thrust it will launch a 16 to 20 ounce airplane like a rocket.

For the larger EPO models like the P-40 and the FW-190 I have found the GWEPSQ2815RB with a GWS HD1060X3 provides more than 50 ounces of thrust but requires a 40 amp ESC and a 2200 or more 25C lipo to reach it's full potential. One nice thing about these geard inrunners is that they are a litlle heavier than the out runner motors and make balancing the plane easier.

Another good feature is the flexibility of changing propellers and gear ratios to get the flight characteristics you want. I usually go for all out speed in warbirds but in other planes a low pitch high thrust prop can be just what you need. I have tried some of the cheaper motors from other sources and they don't have the same quality as the GWS motors in terms of power output to weight and the cheap ones tend to burn up too easily when you load them a little.

Just my opinion and experience..
Last edited by TopSpin; Jan 24, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:50 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi John,

Nice comments ! Be reminded to add heat sink on the inrunner motors when applying these gear down systems in warm weather.

Chen
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:14 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
I have heat sinks on all of them now Chen and thank you for the advice on this from last summer.

I have found that the outrunner motors will run very cool as long as I keep them below three quarter throttle which is most of the time and I still get plenty of power at low current. I still like outrunners in most applications but the geared inrunners can be very effective in the right model.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:22 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi John,

Oh, I forgot to say that it's better to get the 3-blade prop well balanced for delivering more thrust and drawing less currents. It's normally not easy to get them balanced enough after taking out from mould.

Chen
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:29 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
(snip) I usually go for all out speed in warbirds but in other planes a low pitch high thrust prop can be just what you need. I have tried some of the cheaper motors from other sources and they don't have the same quality as the GWS motors in terms of power output to weight and the cheap ones tend to burn up too easily when you load them a little.

Just my opinion and experience..
We all tend to fly our planes just a little different. While I like fast and agile airplanes also, I always want my warbirds to fly somewhat scale. I've always thought unlimited vertical just didn't seem correct on a somewhat scale aircraft, but everyone certainly do not have to feel the same about that.

I'm very content with around 125 watts in most GWS warbirds, but I also build them on the light side. A 900kV motor with a GWS1060 2 blade works great. As you said though, with a 3 blade, things change.

Cliff
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:52 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffh View Post
We all tend to fly our planes just a little different. While I like fast and agile airplanes also, I always want my warbirds to fly somewhat scale. I've always thought unlimited vertical just didn't seem correct on a somewhat scale aircraft, but everyone certainly do not have to feel the same about that.

I'm very content with around 125 watts in most GWS warbirds, but I also build them on the light side. A 900kV motor with a GWS1060 2 blade works great. As you said though, with a 3 blade, things change.

Cliff
I agree with you Cliff about scale flying. One thing is that even an airplane with an excess of power can be flown in a very scale manner.

I find that by experimenting with throttle position I can find the throttle setting that makes the airplane fly and climb very true to scale. I can do this without worrying about not having enough power and also abundant power to get out of a jam when necessary.

I also agree with building as light as possible. My Zero tips the scale at 14.8 ounces all up weight and my ME-109 at only 13.45 ounces. The ME-109 runs an AXI 2208-20 and an APC 8X6 prop. It is extremely fast and light but again, I can always throttle back.
Last edited by TopSpin; Jan 25, 2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:04 AM
Random Flier
Oxford (UK) and Mtn View CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2002
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
I still use the EPS400 in my Spit, albeit on 3S and 9075 prop (if I recall). The GWS specs show 3-blade prop options for this - http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...em/eps400c.htm - but I wouldn't recommend a brushed system if you had to buy new...
isvana is offline Find More Posts by isvana