SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:07 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,568 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone P-47 modifications

Thought I would make a slot for those looking to improve, repair or bash their P-47.
This model performs so well there is little risk of screwing up with whatever you do.

I'll kick it off with the cockpit upgrade I made for mine and offer on the website.

www.parkflyerplastics.com
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
Last edited by sparks; Sep 07, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:13 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,568 Posts
gettinng started

Use a razor to make a light cut around the canopy to prevent pealing the paint from the fuselage . Carefully pull the canopy off and remove the pilot.
He is too large for this scale and makes the P-47 look small.
I don't know why they can never seem to get the guys right.

Use the inside of the stock cockpit walls as a guide and use a hobby knife to cut the bottom out of the hatch. The next cut puts a bevel in the sides from the bottom edge to 1/16 inch from the top edge.

Cut the cockpit tub as shown and fold a crease along the cockpit floor sides. Pinch the cockpit tub walls inward and install it from the bottom.
Use a pencil to mark the side lip for trimming.
( there is a slight curve in the edge) The tub is now ready for paint.

Trim the aft end off of the glare shield and bond the instrument panel to the inside. Apply a light coat of black paint then scratch the dial markings in the instruments.
Adding a shallow puddle of epoxy will give you a glass look on the dials if you want to go that far.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:15 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,968 Posts
Nice work!
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:18 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,568 Posts
pilot

Sand the back of the pilot part sheets to thin the material so only a light cut will remove them from the sheet. Apply model cement by dipping the mating edges. and align at the head first then downward. Allow to dry overnight before sanding the seams.

The website has a useful painting tutorial under instructions.

To make sure you can make a good pilot I'm includeing twoo pilot figures. one with and one without an OX. mask.

Krylon makes a green that is a very good match for this model.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:27 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,568 Posts
Take your time with the painting, remember this is a hobby so try to have fun with it.

Use clear silicone to attach the cockpit pieces to the hatch. it will provide a good flexable bond.

After it has dried attach the stock canopy or if you want to fly your model with the canopy opened I'm provideing a canopy made with a slightly thicker plastic.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:29 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,568 Posts
rockets and bombs

I do have a weapons package available for this model if you want to load it down.
It's offered at a discounted rate for the set but can be bought as individuals.
Please, before you buy the set look at the instructions under the parkflyerplastics banner to see what you are getting into.
They are inexpensive for a reason, you have to build them.
Again, remember it's a hobby.
It's not easy either ( the drop tank is easy) but taking a shot at it will only improve your modeling kills.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:36 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,568 Posts
Personaly I like the bubble canopy version of the P-47 but I have been contacted by so many people about doing a conversion kit I had to while the plane was in the shop.
Chances are 'll sell this one and buy another to do my favorite P-47 . . . . "The Shell pusher."
I love the looks of that plane!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:45 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,568 Posts
Razorback Conversion

After you do the above cockpit steps you will need to cut the hatch 1/4 inch aft of the stock cockpit tub hole.
A razor saw or scroll saw works well. Bond the aft portion to the fuselage with CA.
Place the turtle back on the fuselage and score the plastic along the panel line. Bend the plastic to complete the cut and remove the excess.
More material can be removed if desired ( I did but retained the stock panel line while tooling so you will know that it fits like a glove)
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:48 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,568 Posts
Rough sand the two surfaces and use Gorilla glue or silicone to attach the turtle deck.
This stuff holds very well but you have to apply the glue about 1/4 inch from the edge then tape it down to prevent it from blowing out while it is setting up.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:55 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,568 Posts
New canopy

Trim the canopy and sand the inside surface to help the silicone bond. Before bonding the canopy in place curl the aft canopy inward to make it lay flat against the turtle deck better.
To improve the bond I used a small screw driver to disturb the foam around where the canopy attaches.

To be sure it will not come off I drilled small holes in the canopy and stuck straight pins into thhe foam during the bond step in the sides near the aft end.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:58 PM
2948 scale Combat
Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
Personaly I like the bubble canopy version of the P-47 but I have been contacted by so many people about doing a conversion kit I had to while the plane was in the shop.
Chances are 'll sell this one and buy another to do my favorite P-47 . . . . "The Shell pusher."
I love the looks of that plane!
Man you have my 2948 combat plane there.
I like your work!
critter1340 is offline Find More Posts by critter1340
Old Jan 20, 2011, 02:00 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,568 Posts
To hold the hatch closed I cut holes in the fuselage about even with the pilot.
Bonded magnets in the fuselage first using a flat piece of metal to hold it flush while the epoxy sets up.
I Placed another magnet on the installed fuselage magnet and marked the surface facing me with a felt tip pen.
Quickly installed the hatch to transfer the mark to the hatch.
All that was left was to remove material from the marked spot; Line the magnet mating surface with wax paper. (allow the hatch magnet to hold the wax paper in place.)
I filled the hole made for the hatch magnet with epoxy and installed the hatch.
When the epoxy curred I opened the hatch and removed the wax paper.

Note that the canopy was trimmed leaving a small tab at the aft end to use as a handle to remove the hatch.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 02:06 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,568 Posts
I used acrylic silver and the Krylon enamel to finish out the model. I know it's not a real version of a P-47 but the color balance turned out good I think.
Last edited by sparks; Jan 20, 2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: SP.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 02:12 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,568 Posts
Critter,
I think it's the yellow tail that attracted me to the plane first but the cool nose art keeps me comeing back.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:26 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
I used acrylic silver and the Krylon enamel to finish out the model. I know it's not a real version of a P-47 but the coclo balance turned out good I think.
Looks really good to me. Are you changing the tail color yet?
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens