Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:28 AM
Flying in Aus
Australia
Joined Dec 2010
66 Posts
Discussion
What Kind of Camera do you use for FPV on your Quad?

hey guys just wondering what kind of cameras/ tx and rx people are using for FPV on their choppers, im thinking of picking up a dodgy ebay 30 dollar job which runs off a 9v battery for starters. it only has 100m range but it would be a good starting point do you think?

cheers
andy
awa202 is offline Find More Posts by awa202
Last edited by awa202; Jan 20, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:51 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I use video out from gopro going into a 1.2ghz transmitter
this way I can both have FPV *and* good quality video to look at later.
You can probably find a lot of crappy 'wireless baby monitor' type things on dealextreme that gets you a wireless cam + receiver for real cheap.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Last edited by timecop; Jan 20, 2011 at 05:57 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 20, 2011, 06:02 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
For not a lot more money you can get a really good system that many of us use for FPV. It really is just money wasted if you buy one of those cheap $30 spy cam things from ebay.

Get this video transmitter/receiver set and a cheap CCD camera and you will have much better results.

http://www.sunsky-online.com/view/13...er.htm#reviews
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Jan 20, 2011, 06:19 AM
Flying in Aus
Australia
Joined Dec 2010
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
I use video out from gopro going into a 1.2ghz transmitter
this way I can both have FPV *and* good quality video to look at later.
You can probably find a lot of crappy 'wireless baby monitor' type things on dealextreme that gets you a wireless cam + receiver for real cheap.
I have a drift hd170 which is simular to your gopro, i guess i can use that!!??? how do you power the 1.2ghz transmitter, just off a 9v???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
For not a lot more money you can get a really good system that many of us use for FPV. It really is just money wasted if you buy one of those cheap $30 spy cam things from ebay.

Get this video transmitter/receiver set and a cheap CCD camera and you will have much better results.

http://www.sunsky-online.com/view/13...er.htm#reviews
thanks man , appreciate it.
awa202 is offline Find More Posts by awa202
Old Jan 20, 2011, 06:47 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awa202 View Post
hey guys just wondering what kind of cameras people are using for FPV on their choppers, im thinking of picking up a dodgy ebay 30 dollar job which runs off a 9v battery for starters. it only has 100m range but it would be a good starting point do you think?

cheers
andy
You need to make sure that whatever system you get isn't running on the same frequency as your radio gear or you will have interferrence. ie you don't want a 2.4 video system of your radio is 2.4.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:10 AM
Germany
Joined Aug 2010
129 Posts
2.4ghz little 420tfl cam
Sp3kul4tius is offline Find More Posts by Sp3kul4tius
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
how do you power the 1.2ghz transmitter, just off a 9v???
there's usually several voltages available on whatever you're flying, battery voltage, 5V on flight control, etc.. or you can use some voltage regulator, or your video transmitter might already have a regulator on it and could be powered on anything like 6 to 16V or something..
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:35 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
You need to make sure that whatever system you get isn't running on the same frequency as your radio gear or you will have interferrence. ie you don't want a 2.4 video system of your radio is 2.4.
What system would you recommend for a 2.4g radio? I need about 1000 meter range.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:48 AM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
Quote:
hey guys just wondering what kind of cameras people are using for FPV on their choppers, im thinking of picking up a dodgy ebay 30 dollar job which runs off a 9v battery for starters. it only has 100m range but it would be a good starting point do you think?

cheers
andy
I bought one of these systems http://hobbywireless.com/cart/index....a6b477aabc4de7

If you scroll down the screen you can add a camera and high gain patch antenna to the package which will bump the price to around $250 but it will be a complete system. I added the Sony SN777 camera and patch antenna, it works really well and the RX has dual outputs so you can use goggles and record the video at the same time.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:48 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
What system would you recommend for a 2.4g radio? I need about 1000 meter range.

I'm in the process of looking now myself. Either a 900 or 5.8 based system if your on 2.4 Getting that range is probably going to require some better antennas though than what most stock systems come with.

Best to check in the FPV section of the forums. There is lots of information there but having been looking for sometime now, there wont be any exact answers to your needs, it all "depends" on various factors.

I think I may just go with this FatShark 5.8 system to start, since it is fairly self contained but with stock setup the range is probably 100-200 meters. To get more will require a bigger Tx, they have a 600mW one that should push out to 1Km.
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....aa322f3990e34f

HK also sells this setup for a bit cheaper but they don't have the suggested camera in stock currently and nghobbies gets good feedback and is in Canada.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:50 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
I bought one of these systems http://hobbywireless.com/cart/index....a6b477aabc4de7

If you scroll down the screen you can add a camera and high gain patch antenna to the package which will bump the price to around $250 but it will be a complete system. I added the Sony SN777 camera and patch antenna, it works really well and the RX has dual outputs so you can use goggles and record the video at the same time.
What sort of range are you getting with it?
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:54 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post

Your options are 900MHz, 1.3GHz or 5.8GHz. I'd stay away from 5.8GHz though.

I'd recommend getting in touch with the guy that runs this website and ask him for an opinion. By all accounts he gives excellent customer service and his happy to give you any advice you need for FPV.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...rd=transmitter
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:59 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
From my reading so far 900 can cause jitter on some servos, 1.2 can cause intereferrence on 2.4. 5.8 is more line of sight dependant with lower range but has better video quality and less issues with intereferrence and can be used in more areas.

There is no "perfect" solution it seems.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2011, 08:12 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
From my reading so far 900 can cause jitter on some servos, 1.2 can cause intereferrence on 2.4. 5.8 is more line of sight dependant with lower range but has better video quality and less issues with intereferrence and can be used in more areas.

There is no "perfect" solution it seems.
Well you could go for 72MHz or 433MHz for control and then use 2.4GHz or 1.3GHZ for video.

edit P.S. I use 2.4GHz for control and 1.2GHz for video and don't have any issues, but have not been further than 500m so far but have tested to 1km on the ground.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:26 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,358 Posts
Is it true that lower frequencies have better range? If true then 900 would be the best choice.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man