Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 20, 2011, 02:08 AM
Joined Jan 2011
35 Posts
Discussion
Hydro build plans

Hi, Im new to boats but not new to RC. I enjoy building things and took a look around and notice builds of cats and F1 boats. It got me wanting to build a boat hull myself. So Im looking to see if there any plans for the hydro boats? like the miss budwieser boat or similar?
Justinl7294 is offline Find More Posts by Justinl7294
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:56 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,055 Posts
You might try Newton Marine http://www.newtonmarine.com/
Enough pages of different plans there to occupy a couple of days looking through them.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:30 AM
Joined Jan 2011
35 Posts
hey thats perfect. Couple questions, are those the type of plans you take to kinkos or some other print shop and they print them to scale then attach to wood to cut out? also where would I get the wood supplies to do one of these? thanks
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:58 AM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Nov 2009
543 Posts
Just a heads up, these are not easy boats to build and get to run properly, especially for a beginner. Smaller isn't easier either, actually harder! You have to build them light yet strong and pretty much know where everything is going in the boat as you build it. No 2 hydro builds are the same, people can give you some general help but unless you have an experienced friend you're kinda on you own about setting it up and running it. Prop selection is very important, you can spend a lot of money looking for the right one!
Not saying it can't be done but it's kinda like getting you learners permit in a F1 race car!
Seriously aim a little lower get yourself a good mono or cat and all the accessories, learn to drive it and set it up. Next year you can use most of the stuff from your first boat to build a hydro and you will stand a much better chance of success with the hydro.
Boats like the SV 27 and Pursuit mono have motors, esc's and batteries that can be used with great success on a hydro in the range of 27-32" or 1/10 scale.
You could probably sell the empty hull for about enough cash to buy the wood for the hydro.
Just my 2 cents, been in the hobby for a long time and am building a 1/10 scale 57 Miss Wahoo from scratch, it's a pretty daunting task, without a doubt the hardest build I've every done. This is my 5th scratch build this year! 2 planked sailboats a JAE .12 outrigger and a 25" Wildthing mono also with a nitro motor and now the hydro. 2 years ago did a 1/16 scale Wahoo.
siberianhusky is offline Find More Posts by siberianhusky
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:15 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,064 Posts
Great advice from SH.
It really isnt easy especially for a 1st timer.
If you must build anything try a cat 1st hydro are more difficult and have less room inside them.
If i was you id decide if you are gonna have ago at building 1,you decide how big,motor,esc,props,batts get everything you need together before hand.
Theres plenty of cat plans you can print out in all sizes,but as SH said think about buying a RTR 1st
F1 madness is offline Find More Posts by F1 madness
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:45 AM
Joined Jan 2011
35 Posts
What would be a Good 1st time cat build size wise? I dont really want to go RTR as I like to build things from the start. Plus it would give me something to do while waiting for stuff as i also got a car restoration/ protouring build going on.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:55 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,064 Posts
somthing like this 1.
This is a 1st time build aswell:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1347832
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:15 AM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Nov 2009
543 Posts
About 32"
Leopard 4074 motor 2000-2200 kv
4s 5000mah 35c batteries, use 2 2s packs
180-200 amp esc.
Not sure about props about 42 mm or so I'd guess.
Be in the 40+ mph range very easy.
I'm not a cat guy buy those ones do seem to run very well.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Jan 2011
35 Posts
Thanks F1 thats the thread that got me really interested in building one. I liked the hydro type boats when I was a kid, thats why I asked about them but if way too difficult for a first build then I will start off with a cat.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:06 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinl7294 View Post
Thanks F1 thats the thread that got me really interested in building one. I liked the hydro type boats when I was a kid, thats why I asked about them but if way too difficult for a first build then I will start off with a cat.
No probs,iv helped roto out on that hull.
As for running gear what SH listed above would be perfect,thats what ill be running in my new F1 build once its finished
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:12 PM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Nov 2009
543 Posts
The setup in my mono.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:33 PM
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Joined Nov 2010
1,113 Posts
Hey Justinl7294, ye the thread you are referring to is my first build ever, it's a 32" Cat as you can see and the plans i followed are also in that thread, i have had some help from F1madness as you can see as when i built the frame there was a twist, which F1 showed me how to remove, i would follow the guys advice in here if i was you as they know what they are on about and won't give you any bull.
In my opinion after visiting F1 seeing how each type is built i would say Hydro looked the hardest, then the F1's, then mono and then cat.
Also take into consideration that all the electrics and hardware were in excess of 300, i don't want to put you off, but i'd hate for you to do the hard bit and build a hull and then realise the true cost.
Please help yourself to any info in the thread and if you have any queries please don't hesitate to ask
rotorkilla is offline Find More Posts by rotorkilla
Old Jan 20, 2011, 06:29 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
930 Posts
Another source for some hydroplane plans

http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/plans.htm

I have used those plans to build both the Oberto and the Pay-n-Pak.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:17 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhoops View Post
Another source for some hydroplane plans

http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/plans.htm

I have used those plans to build both the Oberto and the Pay-n-Pak.
Excellent link. It's hard to beat free for a price.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:17 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
Go to the Rumrunner Build Contest link. http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/buildcontest2011.html It has free downloadable plans for a multitude of sizes. There are also building instructions, which include how to build a building fixture to insure correct alignment as you go.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor