Targeted and... FIRING !
United States, MI, Eastpointe
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
Discussion
Giffords recovery dubbed 'miraculous'

http://www.wibw.com/nationalnews/hea...114245894.html

Quote:
Today we were getting her out of bed again and we were able to stand with assistance," said Dr. Peter Rhee, Tucson's University Medical Center's trauma chief. "She's got the strength to stand on her own, lift her head up and these ... I see improvements every single day."

Giffords' chief of staff, Pia Carusone, told CNN Wednesday that Giffords had stood Wednesday "with assistance."
Very good to hear to she was able to stand on her own today. It won't be long before she'll be walking under her own power again.
D B Cooper is offline Find More Posts by D B Cooper
Last edited by D B Cooper; Jan 19, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:33 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I've seen no mention of her communicating with anyone, hence I'm very pessimistic, at least near term. I want to hear she's writing notes or answering Yes/No by raising fingers. She's off to a facility in Houston Friday, hopefully they can work the miracle.
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:38 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
I wish her the best of luck an continued success.

I don't feel her recovery is an opportunity to take a shot at the democrats or anyone else in my opinion.
RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Last edited by RumRunner_1492; Jan 20, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:43 PM
Targeted and... FIRING !
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
yeah. You're probably right.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:50 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
I really hope she can recover to the point to be a normal functioning citizen again. I have my doubts I just hope I am proven wrong. No one should ever have to go through what this poor lady is going through.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:41 AM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
I hope and pray that she makes a full recovery.

While I do not agree with all of her politics, she is a reasonable and decent lady and it makes me sick to think anyone could do such a thing to her.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:15 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
A little more info here:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...n-houston.html
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:20 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,309 Posts
Quite possible with severe brain injuries like this one that the kindest thing to do would have been to let them die.
Ira NZ is online now Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:25 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,937 Posts
Prayers are all we can do for her now. God can do wondrous things.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:39 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ View Post
Quite possible with severe brain injuries like this one that the kindest thing to do would have been to let them die.
You obviously know absolutely nothing about her, her injuries or medicine in general. Got any other brilliant comments to make??
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:54 AM
Targeted and... FIRING !
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
Quote:
That sounds kind of like Obama...

Obama to Jane Sturm: Hey, take a pill (1 min 47 sec)
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:39 AM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
You obviously know absolutely nothing about her, her injuries or medicine in general. Got any other brilliant comments to make??
Well to be fair, yes his comment was just about as insensitive as you can possibly be, but there is a small margin of truth to it. I've seen many devastating brain injuries (or in my case, post-brain tumor removal) where the person is just a breathing vegetable since their brain stem is just fine. -Or worse, someone who is coherent enough to know what's going on, but has such deficits that they have zero quality of life.

But at the same time, I've seen some seriously miraculous cases as well. We simply don't know enough about the human brain to know exactly what will happen, and it's always worth trying your best to save the person's life.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:49 AM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
By the way, for those that care, chances are she won't be speaking for a long, long time. (if at all ) The bullet she took passed through the left hemisphere of her brain, which controls analytical thinking, as well as the use and understanding of language. She has a long, long road of rehabilitation ahead of her.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:35 AM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
Quote:
To be honest, I thought that as well at first. Depending how well her recovery goes, it might have been the humane solution. Of coarse this starts all of the ethical and religious arguments.

For me, the issue is quality of life.
Buran is offline Find More Posts by Buran
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:41 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
I guess most people missed the title of the thread. Thank God no one pulled the plug on her as soon as she arrived at the hospital
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Closed Thread