Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:10 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,368 Posts
Discussion
GoPro HD Stunt Double

I hope to make my first flight this weekend with the Easy Star I've been building for FPV and don't want to sacrifice my GoPro HD until I know the plane is working with the current weight I'm packing in.

So I wanted to mock up the size and weight and even have a recording feature since I had a "Keychain camera" ($10 w/4GB SD card) laying around. Here is the build:

"The GoPro HD Stunt Double"

1. Simply take a piece of cardboard (I'll sponsor the USPS) and template out the GoPro starting on its back. Use an existing fold on the cardboard if its there since you're folding it anyway.

2. Cut out the template and mark the folds, and score them so they'll fold easily.

3. Fold it all up and tape the top when the longest edges meet leaving the side flaps untaped. If've you've cut your template well they will simply tuck into the part of the box you just taped up. Now you've got the exact shape of the GoPro.

4. Then cut out a very tight hole for the "Keychain camera" and pack it in. The keychain camera sticks out a bit further in the front than the GoPro, but good enough for simulating and seeing the video (even if it's standard def).

5. Now the "stunt double" needs to match the GoPro HD weight (w/battery in my case) of 97.9g. Mine at this point with keychain camera was only 20.8g. Just add 3 AA batteries and some nuts & bolts, and few paper scraps and you'll match the exact weight of your GoPro HD.

6. Tape up the sides and you're done.

7. Strap the "Stunt Double" onto your favorite pan/tilt/mount and do some tests!

***Note, you obviously can't see in FPV with this setup, but you can test LOS your plane, and activate your pan/tilt from your radio for testing if you have that feature setup. You can then check back the keychain footage to see how the pan/tilt worked and/or how the view was.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
doesnt really look the same as the original actor make sure not to get him in the camera shot when filming or people will know....
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:17 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintz2007 View Post
doesnt really look the same as the original actor make sure not to get him in the camera shot when filming or people will know....
Well, when smashing into the ground @ 30mph I bet you'd have a hard time telling it wasn't a GoPro HD from a distance

And, they never look like the real actors do they?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:12 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
That's a pretty neat idea... In fact, I was just looking at my plane that carries the GoPro and wanted to make an easy way to swap back to a board camera. I've also got one of the new HD keychain cameras. I may copy this, but will use the board camera one one side, and the little HD camera on the other. It won't look like a GoPro, but will fit in it's place, and still allow me to fly FPV and record in HD. I like it!
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 21, 2011, 07:54 AM
Former B52H Crew Chief
Green Bay WI
Joined Feb 2009
781 Posts
i saw a vid of a gopro that fell off a plane and was ok... of course it was in the housing and it landed in a field... but still
aerofly0610 is offline Find More Posts by aerofly0610
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:57 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofly0610 View Post
i saw a vid of a gopro that fell off a plane and was ok... of course it was in the housing and it landed in a field... but still
Neat. Got a link? I'd like to see what they can take. They do seem pretty rugged however the lens is so exposed (no pun intended) when not in the case it seems likely to be damaged falling from height.

I'll look like a dork, but will most likely strap my GoPro onto my snowboarding helmet for a FPV launch of my to be FPV plane. If I crash I can study why, and we can all laugh at me.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:38 PM
Former B52H Crew Chief
Green Bay WI
Joined Feb 2009
781 Posts
wish i had a link... its either on RCGroups or on RCUniverse... cant remember
aerofly0610 is offline Find More Posts by aerofly0610