HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Arcteryxxx, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:39 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
sux
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:00 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
For the price, this is a great model.

http://www.icare-rc.com/hawk-f5b.htm

I should set one up the right way. My birthday is coming up........hmm..
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:01 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
Enigma is the only sub $900 airframe i would ever buy
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:04 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6 View Post
Have you checked out the FVK Kamelot? It is pretty close to the "late" Absolute. That was the first Hotliner I ever flew. NICE!!! It's somewhere around $450 shipped to the U.S.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:15 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
It has a 2 piece wing

I know nothing about it otherwise
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:03 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
.......I should set one up the right way. My birthday is coming up........hmm..
Thanks Johnny,I forgot about that reason to buy another plane! March 28th isn't too far off for me too. Happy birthday to you BTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6 View Post
Dave, That's a another pretty big rap to buy a Enigma!

Quote:
Have you checked out the FVK Kamelot? It is pretty close to the "late" Absolute. That was the first Hotliner I ever flew. NICE!!! It's somewhere around $450 shipped to the U.S.
http://www.fvk.de/Englisch/Kamelot.html While they are nice, they don't seem to be in the same class as the Enigma and the price is almost identical ($459AUD vs $444AUD in the Kamelot's favour).

Johnny, I think I know what you should buy yourself for your birthday!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:04 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Not yet. Might try fixed throttle travel instead of auto detect. I hope to look into it tonight. Have you experienced the same with yours?
When I tested it again yesterday everything was OK. I don't know the reason I had problems with arming the ESC earlier but it might have been a loose BEC cable or something. Everything was reconnected and checked yesterday and no re-programming of the ESC was needed.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:39 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
When I tested it again yesterday everything was OK. I don't know the reason I had problems with arming the ESC earlier but it might have been a loose BEC cable or something. Everything was reconnected and checked yesterday and no re-programming of the ESC was needed.
I forgot to ask, are you using a receiver pack with BEC, or is that BEC wired into your ESC?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:12 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,255 Posts
Quote:
I forgot to ask, are you using a receiver pack with BEC, or is that BEC wired into your ESC?
The CC BEC gets it's juice from the main battery.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:00 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
That scares me in these models. There are so many things that can go wrong with the ESC.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:02 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,255 Posts
Should I be worried?

I mean: the ESC will be running short bursts at 55% of it's rated amp level and the BEC is a quality CC BEC...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:45 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
It depends who you talk to. Me personally, I use LiFe packs, they are light weight and run directly into your receiver, no regulator needed. LiFE packs are a lower voltage than Lipo, 3.3v per cell. No BEC needed. Less components to fail.

I have had so many ESC's up in smoke. They usually always take the BEC with them. Then you have no control of your plane.

Like I said, it depends who you talk to. I would research it a bit on the High performance threads. Just to weigh your options.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:55 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,784 Posts
Arcteryxxx .... PeterM pointed me towards your thread. Looking good so far. I have an Eagle5 version that I fly over here. Oh, and I use a separate rx pack ... a 2S500 lipo + 3A Reg. Just in case. I don't have a lot of faith in UBEC devices.

With yours, I would be a little concerned about the weight. The Enigma wing has a lot more carbon in it & is stronger. I fear that if you push your hard with the larger packs fitted, you may experience structural failure. I have heard of a few failures on this version of the model.
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:08 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster View Post
Arcteryxxx .... PeterM pointed me towards your thread. Looking good so far. I have an Eagle5 version that I fly over here. Oh, and I use a separate rx pack ... a 2S500 lipo + 3A Reg. Just in case. I don't have a lot of faith in UBEC devices.

With yours, I would be a little concerned about the weight. The Enigma wing has a lot more carbon in it & is stronger. I fear that if you push your hard with the larger packs fitted, you may experience structural failure. I have heard of a few failures on this version of the model.
Hi! Thanks for tuning in The Eagle5 is another name for this model, I've learned.
RX pack and weight issue: Noted!
With the 5S3000 the AUW is 1,625kg so I know it's some 100g over the recommendation. Luckily my flying style is somewhat on the gentle side of things and it will not be pushed through the tightest possible turns.
Which motor/esc/gear/LiPo combo do you run and what's the performance?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:18 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,784 Posts
using a turnigy sk series motor, sorry I can't for the life of me remember which one. Spinning a CAM 12.5x9 prop. 3S2200 30C lipo. Performance is good, but not ballistic. Unlimited vertical fast climbs - could be better, but I'm not stressing packs/prop or motor - Extra pack weight would allow better energy retention I think, but I like the way it flies so far. Maybe when I get bored with it I might re-motor for more oomph!

radio is XPS, using SuperSimple 100A ESC. Servos in the wing are http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7026 & Elevator Hitec HS65HB
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster