HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:10 PM
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
Discussion
Batteries in parallel

Hi everyone,

My friends got 3 LIPO 7.4v batteries.

1. What would be the best way to connect them in parallel using JST- XH connectors and running them through the voltage sensor in the Ardupilot Mega IMU Shield.

2. What would be the best way to connect them in parallel so it can go to the ESC-Motor?

3. Does the power run from the voltage sensor into APM and gets distributed to the rest of the components (servos, IMU, GPS) ?

Thanks in advance.
alextvm is offline Find More Posts by alextvm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:48 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
The easiest way to connect them in parallel is to connect them in parallel (all the positives connected to the positive lead, and all the negatives connected to the negative lead). When you connect them to the ESC, you likewise just connect positive to positive, and negative to negative. This is of course assuming the model runs off of a 2S ("7.4V") pack. All connecting them in parallel should effectively do is increase the capacity of the resulting "pack" (just add up their mAh ratings to get the new capacity).

I'm assuming the voltage sensor you speak of also runs parallel of the same main leads, unless it also measures current or capacity. Make sure to find out which it actually is before connecting it.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:00 AM
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
But how do I connect them in parallel...

1) Is there a connector that would let me hook them up together so that I can have the power go to the ESC?

2) Is there a JST-XH connector type that would let me connect the other wires in parallel so I can run them through the voltage sensor?

http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/Voltage
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:10 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,618 Posts
All you need is a PARALLEL harness, either make one yourself or buy one from vendor...
If you want to charge in parallel you would also want to parallel all of the balance leads also.

Then on the charger you would still select 2S or 7.4 but this time select the charging AMPS to reflect the new added MAH rating. 3 x 1000mah packs then you would select 3A charging rate for a 1C charging rate.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:04 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Here are some examples:

Parallel balance connector: http://www.progressiverc.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

Parallel main lead connector (for Deans Ultra Plugs/T-Plugs): http://www.progressiverc.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

These connect up to six packs in parallel. These are made to use with a charger, though.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Jan 20, 2011, 06:29 PM
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
Here are some examples:

Parallel balance connector: http://www.progressiverc.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

Parallel main lead connector (for Deans Ultra Plugs/T-Plugs): http://www.progressiverc.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

These connect up to six packs in parallel. These are made to use with a charger, though.
Does that mean I can only used them to charge them? or can I use them in actual flight?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:17 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextvm View Post
Hi everyone,

My friends got 3 LIPO 7.4v batteries.

1. What would be the best way to connect them in parallel using JST- XH connectors and running them through the voltage sensor in the Ardupilot Mega IMU Shield.

2. What would be the best way to connect them in parallel so it can go to the ESC-Motor?

3. Does the power run from the voltage sensor into APM and gets distributed to the rest of the components (servos, IMU, GPS) ?

Thanks in advance.
1. You need a three headed JST-XH balance cable. Wire the common leads to your ARDU unit. You will probably only be able to get one with plugs at each end. If so cut off the plug on the common end.

If your charger needs the balance connector you should get two cables. Use one for connection to your ARDU and the other for battery charging.

2. Get a multi headed power cable with Deans on all ends for connection to your ESC. Get a cable with deans on one end and bananas on the other for connection to your charger.

3. The signal cable from the ESC (three wire with servo connector) plugs into your ARDU. Power for the ARDU, Receiver, and Servos is supplied through this cable.

Reference the post above linking to Progressive RC for examples of the balance and power cables.

If you are only using two batteries at a time Progressive RC also has cables for just two batteries. If you are going to use all three then use the multi headed cables and remove any unneeded connectors.

Afterthought. That's a lot of equipment to be running from a 2 cell battery. Are you sure you shouldn't be using a 3 cell?

What airplane is this going in?

What is the mah of your 2 cell batteries?

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 21, 2011, 03:06 AM
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
Thanks for your clarification. I think we might use just two. My friends got a program, I don't recall the name at the moment but they were running different settings with different batteries and came up that 2 2 cell gave them the best performance.