HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Discussion
What are you FPV types flying with?

I've been hearing bad things about 900mhz and 2.4 ghz stuff not working well together.
I've got a 200mw HK 900mhz video setup and a Prizm 7X with an FHSS module from www.rc-modules.com
I don't plan on flying very far away, maybe 1000 feet at most. Should I go with a 72 mhz radio?
I've also got a DX7
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:11 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I'm flying with a 1.2Ghz video tx and a 2.4GHz Frsky system. I don't plan on trying long range with my quad, but have ground tested it to about 1km with no issues, so am happy flying a 500m radius around me, which is about as far as I want to go with my quad.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:13 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,360 Posts
Hi Randall,

The Fox 800A on 1280Mhz is working well for me. I've been out past 1000ft and video is still strong and clear, so I think it's got at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile in it. Video wasn't so great with the stock omni antenna mounted off the rear arm. Mounting a 1.3GHz V-dipole, from DPCAV, on a flexible 6" mast, was a big improvement. If your not familiar with a V-dipole, it's transmits video out in all directions in a doughnut shape, but with signal slightly stronger coming from the front of the antenna. That way you can fly out till video gets weak, and turn around with increased signal on the trip back home. If you fly with 3S, a 12v dc step-up is highly recommended. Your video range is going to be severely reduced and cut out 2/3 of the way through the flight, because your lipo voltage is going to sag well below 12v. Or carry a small 3S dedicated video battery.

The thing most limiting range is my 72Mhz R/C link. I'm using a Corona RP8D1 receiver (known for it's 1.5+ mile range) but am only getting about 1100ft out before control is lost; and that's with the 40" antenna wire hanging below the quadcopter. Wrapping it around the frame or on an antenna mast results in even shorter range. I've ordered a Corona RD620II Rx and will also be trying a Hitec Supreme IIS to see they're any better. Despite such good reviews from the FPV community, I've owned 3 RP8D1's and all of them have performed poorly on my plane, heli and quadcopter. 2.4GHz generally offers less range than 72Mhz (and is sometimes affected by 1.2GHz video), so if you go that route get a good receiver with dual dipole antennas, and mount each on your right and left (wooden) quadcopter arms. A downside of any digital R/C signal is that you'll get lockouts when range is exceeded (meaning your quad falls out of the air). 72Mhz is analog so I get some warning before range is exceeded (for example my camera tilt mount starts twitching from weak signal glitches). I can usually hold my radio up higher to re-establish link if I go out of range. A 2.4GHz Rx takes several seconds to re-establish sync, so by the time your out of range, a crash is imminent. You can however add a 2.4GHz booster to increase range.

See my build log for links to the parts mentioned above and other ideas. BTW the FY-90Q is simply awesome for FPV and makes for easy flying. Get a 2.8mm lens for you camera if you can. 3.6mm is fine on my plane, but a wider angle is a must on my copter, to avoid those pesky trees and other obstacles on either side.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Last edited by patricklupo; Jan 18, 2011 at 11:49 PM.