HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:45 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Help!
SKY-705 transmitter and FMS/HeliSimRC

Hi.
I have a strange problem with my SKY-705 when practicing flight with FMS and HeliSimRC.

Basically when I accelerate the model losses power at maximum power.
When I try to calibrate the SKY-705 transmitter using the standard Windows 7 game controller program and display the raw data I get the following unusual behaviour.

Y Axis starts at 30 progresses all the way up to 255 as I raise the stick and then at near maximum it drops back to 10. (This explains the issue with FMS and HeliSimRC with models losing power at maximum power.)

X Axis behaves similar.

The X, Y and Z rotation behave normally.

Are there any adjustments on the SKY-705 unit that resolve this type of issue?

The transmitter is a Mode 2 unit. I've also tried the SKY-705 on another PC and it has exactly the same problem. The transmitter has no issue when controlling my wasp v3.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
markf007 is offline Find More Posts by markf007
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:59 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markf007 View Post
Hi.
I have a strange problem with my SKY-705 when practicing flight with FMS and HeliSimRC.

Basically when I accelerate the model losses power at maximum power.
When I try to calibrate the SKY-705 transmitter using the standard Windows 7 game controller program and display the raw data I get the following unusual behaviour.

Y Axis starts at 30 progresses all the way up to 255 as I raise the stick and then at near maximum it drops back to 10. (This explains the issue with FMS and HeliSimRC with models losing power at maximum power.)

X Axis behaves similar.

The X, Y and Z rotation behave normally.

Are there any adjustments on the SKY-705 unit that resolve this type of issue?

The transmitter is a Mode 2 unit. I've also tried the SKY-705 on another PC and it has exactly the same problem. The transmitter has no issue when controlling my wasp v3.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
As THE USA Authorized Factory Distributor we quickly recognized this problem.
This has become a known issue and I am creating a full video and report for the factory now.
the issue seems to be the way the interal firmware acts as a joystick. This has not effected the actual flight controls.

Remember that FMS is a "video game" like simulator whose body of work has long been abandoned and not upgraded and will not provide much in the way of helping you to learn to fly a RC Helicopter; even making someone over confident because they "mastered" FMS! I do not forsee a fix for this problem. I will post the answers I get from the factory ASAP

Max
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:50 PM
jobog
USA, IN, South Bend
Joined Jan 2011
85 Posts
fms simulator

just received my fms simulator and downloaded the beta 7 edition and the DLL file to get it to run with Vista. Calibration and everything works but the screen is flickering. When I click on one of the menu buttons at the top the flickering stops but then resumes as soon as I click out of the menu. I have also downloaded the latest DirectX and still have the problem.

I am going to try running everything on my wife's computer running xp but does anyone know how to fix this flickering problem on my laptop? Can't use the program on my laptop in this condition.

Thanks, Joe
jobog is offline Find More Posts by jobog
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Hi Max,

Thanks for your prompt response.

When we initially purchased the Wasp V3 (dec 2010) we did purchase 2. Only 1 of the units seems to have the issue described.

This is some additional info incase it's relevant for the factory to isolate the cause/fix.

I agree FMS isn't really useful...But I think HeliSimRC is quite good.

Jobog...I had the same issue with FMS and found the fix within the following link: http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fm...hp?f=12&t=5867

Regards,
Mark
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:06 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2011
7 Posts
Hi markf007,
I have the same problem and thought it was something inbuilt into HeliSim so that you can fly upside down. I noticed it happening and then when I was loosing control, the heli flipped and when I had it at full throttle it stayed up with negative lift because of the issue you described. If it wasn't for the USA sourced help we'd be stuck because besides the language barrier between us and Taiwan, the quality of this product is quite poor (skyartec product that is).
jkaxford is offline Find More Posts by jkaxford
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:54 PM
Joined Dec 2008
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobog View Post
just received my fms simulator and downloaded the beta 7 edition and the DLL file to get it to run with Vista. Calibration and everything works but the screen is flickering. When I click on one of the menu buttons at the top the flickering stops but then resumes as soon as I click out of the menu. I have also downloaded the latest DirectX and still have the problem.

I am going to try running everything on my wife's computer running xp but does anyone know how to fix this flickering problem on my laptop? Can't use the program on my laptop in this condition.

Thanks, Joe
I helped one of our buyers and he got over this quickly by changing the settings in the FMS controls. I am not sure which to turn on or off in your situation; however try changing the settings by going to:
menu item on FMS: graphics then options

Let us know if this helps

Max
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:57 PM
Joined Dec 2008
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markf007 View Post
Hi Max,

Thanks for your prompt response.

When we initially purchased the Wasp V3 (dec 2010) we did purchase 2. Only 1 of the units seems to have the issue described.

This is some additional info incase it's relevant for the factory to isolate the cause/fix.

I agree FMS isn't really useful...But I think HeliSimRC is quite good.

Jobog...I had the same issue with FMS and found the fix within the following link: http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fm...hp?f=12&t=5867

Regards,
Mark
Hmmm. are both of the transmitters the Sky705 or is one of them the Sky703 (shown on the face plate of the Tx)

I am in contact with the director of the company for input on this.

Actually while the instructions are in chinese, The Skyartec products are better then most in the price point and offer great fun and good service life. I have the same V3 I have used for almost 2 years for flying demos and have not had a single issue; of course I am careful not to hit anything that will break the parts LOL

Thanks
Max
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:25 PM
jobog
USA, IN, South Bend
Joined Jan 2011
85 Posts
FMS Simulator

The flickering stops if I turn off texture under the graphics menu but then the screen is just blobs of green and brown. Does not look like a landscape. I tried the fix posted in the FMS forums by downloading the Microsoft compatibility software and telling the program to run in Win XP mode like instructed but the flickering is still there. I'm going to post this problem on the FMS forum but don't know if I will get an answer as no one has posted there since November of last year.

Thanks for trying to help. If anyone else has any ideas I would appreciate hearing them.

Joe
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:12 AM
jobog
USA, IN, South Bend
Joined Jan 2011
85 Posts
Yea!!!! Finally got it working without the flicker. Don't remember where I saw the tip but it said not to download the file to a subfolder under the program folder. Deleted FMS and downloaded again, this time to a new folder not in the programs folder. Works great now.

Thanks for everyone trying to help.

Joe
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:25 AM
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Hi Max,

Both are SKY705 units.

When I performed a Windows 7 joystick calibration on my friends unit I had the following results:

Y range was 20 -249
X range was 11-237

I didn't check the X, Y and Z rotation ranges.

Hence definatly he does not have the problem.

Regards,
Mark
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:30 AM
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Max,

One more piece of info that might assist:

SKY705 Remote Control Set V2.1 reports the following Oer information.

Unit that has the problem:
SN: 51 6 99 130
D/S version: D-3 S-3
Date: 2010-11-27

Unit that works OK:
SN: 43 6 99 130
DS version: D-3 S-3
Date: 2010-11-27

Regards,
Mark