HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:25 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,263 Posts
Gallery
6.6M HKM Nimbus 4 - yet another one takes to the wing

Not a new subject, but it's been quite some time so I thought I'd share a little bit of putting together my HKM Nimbus 4 this afternoon.

I dearly miss my 5 meter one (serious seller's regret) and really liked seeing Hans Weideker fly his at LASS last spring so I had John at HKM USA exchange that balance in my account for some fiberglass and bring one along to the JR Aero Tow last June (where I believe Tom Kallevang was also flying his). This bird has sat too long so time to put it together for the upcoming season.

Since seeing servos going into wings is the hobby version of watching paint dry, I'll spare us all that tedium. There really isn't much news in this very nice kit. Scale is 1:4 making total span 6.6M. Each wing is a short root panel with flap and airbrake, then a big honkin` rectangular joiner, the outboard panel is two ailerons and finally short tips put an end to things. Center joiner is a large steel rod.

One thing I did today was attack the really basic seat pan. It's none too impressive and looked sad lying in the bottom of the fuselage. These photos show adding "LET style" supports, dressing it up with parts from the scrap bin and getting the rudder and elevator sorted.

I'm very interested in people's impressions of flying this bird, so please share anything here. I know Len Buffinton still has his for sale and having seen that one fly and taking a short turn at the sticks, I can highly recommend it now that it's "too small" for Len.

More to come. Let the sharing begin...
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Last edited by SPasierb; Jan 17, 2011 at 05:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:32 PM
Joined Mar 2010
538 Posts
beautiful workmanship!!! love the seat!
SandyAlan is offline Find More Posts by SandyAlan
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:50 PM
EUROPHIA PETE
London England
Joined Oct 2009
147 Posts
Nimbus 4

Hi SPasierB

Lovely to see a build from the seat up....

You ask about flying qualities.... I have the Icare/Icarus 5.2M version not the beautiful single seater HKM you have but feel I can comment just a little,, if I may?

I haven't aerotowed mine yet but have sloped it. Absolutely realistic and a really ladylike performer in two-seat guise. Keep the speed up and everything tucked away on the wing and the hiss as she goes by is 1:1!
Chandelles are my speciality - low G and high oooh factor! It's my intention to mount a GoPro on mine later this year - I'll post the vid soon as.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but, anyone out there got the 5.2M version so WE can compare notes as well?

Anyway, I've enjoyed the first instalment of the fit-out, please keep 'em comin'

Pete
Pete Beadle is offline Find More Posts by Pete Beadle
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:31 PM
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,263 Posts
That's the one I had. Absolutely loved it. A great flying airframe, indicated lift just great and the wings made that nice Nimbus curve when you wanted.

I'm hoping this one serves me as well!

Steve
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:06 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,171 Posts
If I didn't love it, would it be my avatar?

Fly it like you would if your butt was in the cockpit and she handles wonderfully.

I absolutely love mine, coupled with the 12X and it's everything I could want in a scale model ... mine has flat basic/basic cockpit (no pan), I finally glued a head in there so she isn't a pilotless RPV anymore, but you've done a great job with the cockpit pan.

With flap/spoiler mixing in landing mode, there is NO elevator compensation needed. She isn't an aerobat, I've kept mine right side up the whole time altho the video shows an inverted pass ... that just isn't scale to me

I'm sitting here trying to remember all the mixes and such ... I do run the spoilers on Matchboxes to leave me a channel for the vario, and the tow release is a separate channel, not ganged with anything else.

Have any specific questions I can help you with?

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:44 PM
Joined Apr 2004
132 Posts
Steve this is another sweet build!!! Bring it on......
6cuda6 is offline Find More Posts by 6cuda6
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:59 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Structural (S) glass for the seat pan reinforcements! Is Elvis gonna be flying this ship?

Lovin' the red velvet interior. Nice work,

Mike

ps: I have the baby (6m) Tangent version on the board right now.
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:34 PM
GasBag
Stewartstown PA
Joined Oct 2005
262 Posts
I love the ball links you are using. What type are they?
eschlitzkus is offline Find More Posts by eschlitzkus
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:57 PM
Joined Nov 2003
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschlitzkus View Post
I love the ball links you are using. What type are they?

They are 4-40 Sullivan S591 aluminum ball connectors with locking sleve from the local hobby store. Tower and others carry them...

http://www.sullivanproducts.com/ContSysAccMainFrame.htm
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:12 AM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,549 Posts
Great job, The pan looks super. Obviously, you will love the plane, it flies so nice, as you know.
Maybe we an get out and fly it soon. NOT!

Len
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:10 AM
Joined Oct 2004
604 Posts
would love to know the suggested throws for various conditions. Tom has offered but his is in his basement and would't want to make it difficult for him.
This may be gps contender but good grief I have to maiden it first. Has anyone winched launched theirs. Seems like a good candidate.
Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is online now Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:29 AM
Stamford, CT
Joined Jan 2005
423 Posts
Steve, the plane looks great.....as do all of your builds. Looking forward to seeing it fly when the weather starts to break for us.

Your craftsmanship shines as always !

Bob
rcmorrow is offline Find More Posts by rcmorrow
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:04 PM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,926 Posts
Dean
The Nimbus should winch just fine! Just make sure you set it up for a bridal and make sure you angle the towhooks down slightly so the rings slip off as soon as you get off the pedal!

Also. I am ready to tow you with the Porter.. Just say the word!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:33 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,042 Posts
Hi SP

Very cool Tuck & Roll its a shame to have to cover it up with your pilot, you have a hand lever on the control stick is that for a tow release on full size gliders ?

Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:12 PM
Joined Nov 2003
2,263 Posts
The Nimbus has been sitting in the workshop all dusty and forlorn. After a major shop cleanup this morning, it was finally time to actually program it into the 11x. Now that this is the fourth plane I’ve programmed on that radio, it’s a snap!

I also permanently attached the nose weight and put elastic cord on the retract doors. I had to run to WalMart for Velcro and decided to look in the sewing department and found some excellent 1/8” wide flat woven elastic. It worked out so well I replaced the nasty old stuff in my Duo Discus and replaced what was originally installed in my new 1:3 Ventus.

I’m still waiting for the missing wing servo covers to come from HKM and have yet to do the red diamond detail on the nose. Axel is enjoying his new home but his “posterior” needed a serious liposuction session to fit into the pan and with the seat detailing I did. I think his name will officially be Old Flat Butt. I used 1:4 multiplex instruments in the cockpit, but of course forgot to take a few photos.

It’s essentially ready to fly now, but it looks like many more weeks until the snow gives way to grass. I’ll post some photos and a flight report whenever that day comes.

Steve

PS: Don - I believe the lever is a wheel brake on the retract