SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:56 AM
Joined Oct 2010
39 Posts
Discussion
bad turnigy battery?

Hi all, I own this turnigy 2200mAh 3S 40C battery with a strange cell. Look at the charging process:

starting with a lower voltage it gets full earlier, and it discharges faster than the other two cells, like having one 1000mAh cell and two 2200mAh cells.

Should I throw it or is there any way to get the full capacity?
I have another identical battery from the same order, it had a strange cell until the second charge, and now it's perfect.

thank you!
emerge is offline Find More Posts by emerge
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:15 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Quote:
Should I throw it or is there any way to get the full capacity?
I have another identical battery from the same order, it had a strange cell until the second charge, and now it's perfect.
Perhaps cycle it a few more times. Since you have already charged it it can not be returned.

Cycling LiPolys is a highly debated issue. Some say it is necessary and beneficial. some say it helps a little, some say it is a waste of time.

I like to do fairly easy cycles on my new LiPolys as over the past 5 years I have seen performance of quality cells improve during the firsdt 25 to 50 cycles if they are not abused from the get go.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:22 AM
Joined Oct 2010
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Perhaps cycle it a few more times. Since you have already charged it it can not be returned.

Cycling LiPolys is a highly debated issue. Some say it is necessary and beneficial. some say it helps a little, some say it is a waste of time.

I like to do fairly easy cycles on my new LiPolys as over the past 5 years I have seen performance of quality cells improve during the firsdt 25 to 50 cycles if they are not abused from the get go.
thank you for your answer,

I don't stress my batteries, I use a charger with balancer (accucel 6) and I have very high cut-out voltages (I usually end flight with cell around 3,7v).
What voltage should I reach when discharging the pack?
I don't have nothing to loose (and I already ordered 3 other packs) so I can experiment a bit.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:25 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
3.7 is a safe discharge level.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:55 PM
Joined Oct 2010
39 Posts
still cycling but the cell goes to 3.0v after about 1000mAh consumption.. it's strange cause this battery is exactly the same size of the other i bought.
anyone had luck with a similar battery? maybe being a 40C should I attach an huge load? this battery has already 3 flights with my 450 that I think consumes about 100w..
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:00 AM
Joined Oct 2010
39 Posts
guess what is the bad cell:

of course the external package was perfect.. I think this is gonna become a 2s 2200mAh battery
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:52 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,839 Posts
Technology saved you from a fire. Gotta love the new chargers.
Good find.
Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:02 AM
Joined Oct 2010
39 Posts
say hello to my new 2s battery:

I'll still buy from hobbyking, 1 broken cell is ininfluent compared to the savings I had with them!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:21 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,151 Posts
hmmmm...hole in pack

I had it also...but because of small crash and bad meeting with bold

cell removed and pack ended into a 2s pack
TreeDiver is online now Find More Posts by TreeDiver