SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:12 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,696 Posts
I have some hard replacement dampers. Oh wait those are for the 3mm shaft. I guess I should order some next time around.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:02 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,147 Posts
Death of one of my Hustlers today..... I hate it when a grip lets go in an inverted loop.

This canopy was obliterated

Frame is crushed, destroyed

It fell in from about 250 feet. All I could do, was watch it for what felt like an eternity as it dropped. The other blade and grip is in the bottom of the pond.

But there is always hope.... Keep your old parts and frames. it will live again.
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Last edited by Spookeay; Feb 08, 2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:11 PM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookeay View Post
Death of one of my Hustlers today..... I hate it when a grip lets go.

Fell in from about 250 feet. All I could do was watch it for what felt like forever.

But there is always hope.... Keep your old parts and frames. it will live again.
ooo ouch that looks painful how did that happen (by the way plates came today thanks a million have them installed waiting for my cable tomorrow to program tx and im ready to rock and rol )
Dweenie is offline Find More Posts by Dweenie
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:30 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,147 Posts
Glad they made it...... This was me not keeping up with rotor head maintenance. The screw that hold the grip to the feathering shaft backed out. I was flying then POP! and one blade went one way and one went the other and down she fell silent. Insert dramatic slow mo music.. LOL
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:37 PM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookeay View Post
Glad they made it...... This was me not keeping up with rotor head maintenance. The screw that hold the grip to the feathering shaft backed out. I was flying then POP! and one blade went one way and one went the other and down she fell silent. Insert dramatic slow mo music.. LOL
oh wow i took my screws out earlier and used that hitemp white thread lock on it and on a few other places cause i sure don't need any screws coming out..I have found out that putting those metal plates on top and the fiber ones on the bottom allows the heli to have strength and flex...So there shouldn't be any bending or warping of the metal frame,time will tell tho.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:38 AM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweenie View Post
oh wow i took my screws out earlier and used that hitemp white thread lock on it and on a few other places cause i sure don't need any screws coming out..
hope you get a spare head!
you well never get that one apart again.

you always want to make sure you can take it apart to do up keep(grease bearing, replace bushings or feathering shaft,)
Those screw heads well not hold up to that locktite and strip out and only way to get it apart well be to cut ether a blade grip or head.
Blue locktite work just fine when used rite.
plus if it gets to hard all you need to do is heat it up to break the grip.
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:57 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,696 Posts
And just use a tiny bit and to pass on some of my mistakes, do not let any get in the pivot points on the tail slider assembly or it will bind.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:51 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,260 Posts
Ouch..Spookeay, did you jump off the ground when she hit?

I wonder what caused the grip to fly off? Have you done any scrutinizing of the feathering shaft?
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:01 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,696 Posts
Yeah, how do you know the screw backed out and that the screw or shaft did not fail?
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:19 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,147 Posts
The screw was in the grip I found and not striped or broken so I can only guess it vibrated or backed out. The other grip had the shaft in it and it's in the bottom of the lake. O well I rebuilt it or rebuilt one. LOL.... I have lots of parts from my learning. I guess I tore up about 5 of them and just tossed them in the parts box so I was able to just make another one.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:21 PM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
i had a run in with my heli earlier the esc messed up, and caused the heli to go right to 100 percent throttle...It well came right at me tail cut a one inch gash under my left eye small cut on the tip of my nose and a light cut on my thumb where i tried to block the impact.... Ill be good as new in the morning and ill be back at working on the gyro getting the bird ready for extreme flight....hahahahhaaha
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:53 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,696 Posts
Oh man, that's terrible. We need a sticky for heli & plane newbies. This happened to me as well. First of all, blades off until you know it works right. You were programming the ESC, right? I did not know the channel needed to be reversed so I was trying to calibrate and arm my esc and I could not get it to work. It did not work so I closed the throttle and put the radio down. You all know what happened next. This is happening TOO OFTEN and people are getting hurt. I think I need to contact the mods to make a stick about calibrating ESC's and reversed throttle. NOBODY warned me about this as I posted and many people who are experienced with RC were replying me but no warnings about this.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:07 PM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Oh man, that's terrible. We need a sticky for heli & plane newbies. This happened to me as well. First of all, blades off until you know it works right. You were programming the ESC, right? I did not know the channel needed to be reversed so I was trying to calibrate and arm my esc and I could not get it to work. It did not work so I closed the throttle and put the radio down. You all know what happened next. This is happening TOO OFTEN and people are getting hurt. I think I need to contact the mods to make a stick about calibrating ESC's and reversed throttle. NOBODY warned me about this as I posted and many people who are experienced with RC were replying me but no warnings about this.
yea i was trying to do a spool up in norm mode and something happened soon as i flipped the switch it went to 100 percent power..I had no throttle control at all i thought it was my programming in the tx but i checked that and it is the same as before... The funny thing is the throttle was working fine prier to this
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:27 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,696 Posts
Whenever you are doing ANY testing you have to be prepared for a spoolup unexpectedly. I put them on my test turntable so if it spools up it wont go anywhere.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:33 PM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Whenever you are doing ANY testing you have to be prepared for a spoolup unexpectedly. I put them on my test turntable so if it spools up it wont go anywhere.
it appears im going to have to make one ... I was very lucky this time around..