Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:50 AM
United States, IL, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
671 Posts
Thanks for all the great info guys,!
Ed, do you have any tips how to stop the vibrations in the fuselage?
Bnh105 is offline Find More Posts by Bnh105
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:59 AM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnh105 View Post
do you have any tips how to stop the vibrations in the fuselage?
First You need to find where they are coming from.
Main blades
tail blades
Main head
Main shaft
Tail shaft
Main Gears
Motor

I would start with everything But the motor main gear and head off
then move to adding tail gearbox then tail blades and finely the main blades tell you find the cause.
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Jan 2013
671 Posts
someone told me to put some foam in the tail between the tail boom and the fuselage, is this a bad idea or would it work?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:12 AM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the great info guys,!
Ed, do you have any tips how to stop the vibrations in the fuselage?

I glued some expanded foam on the inside of the fuselage I cut the foam in peices about one half inch thick and lined the inside with it. That helped a lot. Make sure you get all the vibes you can out of the machanical set up. Like balanced blades and fly bar etc. Make sure the mounting framework is not twisted, it has to be mounted square and flat on the fuselage floor. You will still have some vibration thats normal, but not so much it shake's the tail off You'll be OK, just take your time and think things through. It's the little thing's missed that cause the problems. Good luck. Ed
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:54 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Hey Spookeay, any idea why my DR rates are not working right?
Zip and send me your config file and let me look at it....
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Jan 2013
671 Posts
Ed,
Great info! Stupid question but where can I get the expanded foam? And what about putting the foam in the tail area would that he a good idea at all? What kind fuse do you have? Any pics?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:26 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookeay View Post
Zip and send me your config file and let me look at it....
Nevermind, it seems to be working right now. Maybe I was just looking at it wrong. Switch position back is partial rates, and pulling forward is full rates. Think my 70% cyclic and 60% rudder is good?

Plus, I think I might mess with the limit pot on the gyro to reduce the tail servo throw. Might add a bit of resolution this way as well. Or should I ignore that pot and adjust the endpoints in the settings?
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:00 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Quote:
Ed,
Great info! Stupid question but where can I get the expanded foam? And what about putting the foam in the tail area would that he a good idea at all? What kind fuse do you have? Any pics?

I bought my MD500 from RCarodyne.As far as the foam,you can use the foam that comes in packaging or insulation foam. Calling it expanded foam might have been misleading,sorry bout that. I don't think there is enough room in the tail for foam and the tail boom. I had a rubber insert that came with mine that fit inside the fuselage boom right at the end of the tail boom exit. Its kinda tricky to set the rubber insert because of binding the tail push rod. I opted for the cable method for the tail controll and that made the instalation a little easer but its still a pita to get it work right with no binding or rubbing someplace. When that insert is installed it will deaden any resonating in the tail boom. After you install the foam make sure none of the servo arms are rubbing anyplace, I thought I had mine in good shape but burned up a servo it was binding on the fusealage side I don't have any way to take a picture of the foam installation. I doubt if I would have had to cut the foam much over one forth of an inch though. That would leave more room for the machanics. Sorry for the long and drawn out answer. Hope it helps. Ed
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:19 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Nevermind, it seems to be working right now. Maybe I was just looking at it wrong. Switch position back is partial rates, and pulling forward is full rates. Think my 70% cyclic and 60% rudder is good?

Plus, I think I might mess with the limit pot on the gyro to reduce the tail servo throw. Might add a bit of resolution this way as well. Or should I ignore that pot and adjust the endpoints in the settings?
Did you buy it RTF? there should be no problems. They test fly them all and trim them up.. What exactly your problem with the copter? a Tail Issue?
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:13 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,544 Posts
Not a problem per se but the tail servo moves too far and hits the sides. I won't mess with it any more before a test flight. It's ready after I check pitch and blade tracking.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:52 AM
Texas NewB
Joined Dec 2011
867 Posts
if the tail servo is hitting limits at both sides you need to adjust the limit pot on the gyro to stop it before it burns out the servo.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:49 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,544 Posts
That's what I thought, but I will not be using that much throw anyway with my manuevers, nor will the gyro, so it likely won't hit the sides, but I need to adjust it. Why do they include this pot on gyros when it's a setting available in any radio? I am hesitant to do much more to this heli for fear of messing something up.

Should I use training gear? They make it fly funny, but I am just going to hover at first anyway and they save from tipover.

I will post my settings here anyway if someone wants to check them.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:56 PM
Texas NewB
Joined Dec 2011
867 Posts
Quote:
Why do they include this pot on gyros when it's a setting available in any radio?.
The Gyro is in control of the tail when your not adding input so if you turn the heli on then carry it to the feald and set it down pointing 180^ from what it was pointing at when you plugged in the battery Now the gyro is going to hit 100% throw to try and get it back the 180^ and its not limited My the radio limits so It well hit the extreme!
You want the gyro to know where the limits are so it don't over shoot them.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:11 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_heart View Post
The Gyro is in control of the tail when your not adding input so if you turn the heli on then carry it to the feald and set it down pointing 180^ from what it was pointing at when you plugged in the battery Now the gyro is going to hit 100% throw to try and get it back the 180^ and its not limited My the radio limits so It well hit the extreme!
You want the gyro to know where the limits are so it don't over shoot them.
That is a great explanation and makes perfect sense, I should have figured that out on my own. I learn something new every day.

Yesterday while driving, I figured out how the flybar works. I thought of it as a second swashplate with mechanical mixing and resists change by tending to maintain it's plane. What I don't understand is why paddles and not just weights? Arent paddles more susceptible to wind? And sometimes I see paddles only, but never weights only on CP helis.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:16 PM
Texas NewB
Joined Dec 2011
867 Posts
First the weights add stability the more weights the more stable.
the paddles react the same as putting your hand out the window when your driving and try to keep the blades level.