HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:22 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,386 Posts
You may try getting something smaller and more crash-able like a V120D0x to get pass that point.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:08 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I dont know why but, I can fly the hell out of the sim but as soon as I get the real thing in the air I freeze up and forget left from right, up from down, forward from backward.

I'v been doing a lot of tail in hovers but as soon as I turn to the side its like I lose my mind.

The fear of crashing is holding me back from really flying the way I can on a sim.

I guess it will be this way until I crash it a few times and get used to crashing...

kdean
Come on. You have 3 or 4 plus a lot of spares. You can afford a few crashes.

By the way there is no neutral point for rudder mix. I think we just set it so that the tail would hold when throttle changes.

If the tail does not hold on hover, I think we have to trim the rudder or increase tail gyro gain instead.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:30 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
Hey wasp,

I do have 3 but 2 are still in the mail. I do have spare parts, but my tool kit is also still in the mail. I was going to add some tension to my control sticks, ( I like the feel of some resistance on my cyclic stick) and realized I need a hex driver to open the transmitter.

I have been looking at the V120D02 for a while and want to get one. Now walkera has the M120D01 and i'm leaning towards that. But, I've spent alot on my new heli collection, and I think i'll wait for a bit before I make another big investment.

Besides, I want a 2801 pro anyway, so why no get a heli with it...

Kdean
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:53 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
So, I opened up my walkera "metal gear servo" and saw two plactic gears inside. Not like the full metal gears shown in the advertisment. Is this legal? I thought I was getting a full metal gear servo, not a half metal gear servo....

Maybe the geras on the bottom dont strip, but if one does i'll have to take some kind of action. It is clearly false advertising
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:02 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Hey wasp,

I do have 3 but 2 are still in the mail. I do have spare parts, but my tool kit is also still in the mail. I was going to add some tension to my control sticks, ( I like the feel of some resistance on my cyclic stick) and realized I need a hex driver to open the transmitter.

I have been looking at the V120D02 for a while and want to get one. Now walkera has the M120D01 and i'm leaning towards that. But, I've spent alot on my new heli collection, and I think i'll wait for a bit before I make another big investment.

Besides, I want a 2801 pro anyway, so why no get a heli with it...

Kdean
Ok, just wait till your spares arrive then.

I would say don't get a too fancy one otherwise you would end up with the same fear in crashing it. Pick one just good enough for us to crash and cheap to repair.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 01:16 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
Just watched the whole series of youtube vids. Very informative, never got boring, great for beginers to CP.

Day 1 Part 1 - Pre Flight (12 min 51 sec)
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:51 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,386 Posts
I start reading this, trying to understand the some of the usual complaints about stabilization:

http://books.google.com/books?id=rKD...page&q&f=false

When we have enough parts, we probably may start making our own RC helicopters.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but will the v450 metal gear servo's serve as an adequate replacement for the factory sent servos on the v400? How much 'tweaking' to get them to work? Thanks!
newtoflying is offline Find More Posts by newtoflying
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:31 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoflying View Post
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but will the v450 metal gear servo's serve as an adequate replacement for the factory sent servos on the v400? How much 'tweaking' to get them to work? Thanks!
They would make great replacements, but u will have to file down the tabs to get them to fit into the servo holders, and reverse them, and turn you rx around. (or if your good with a solder gun, you can change 4 of the connections in each servo and they will operate as stock ones do) But the wk-09-8 "full metal gear servos" I orderd from wowhobbies came with 2 plastic gears in them. Im emailing walkera and wowhobbies about this matter. Hold off on getting them until they resolve this.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:47 AM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Almost done putting my V400D02 back together after flying her on a windy day; stupid mistake! Put on the Super Skids and ran the wires to the tail motor outside the boom as suggested. Also think I am going to relocate the speed controller inside the frame to center the weight out.

As far as the servo thing goes; take the case apart and spin the stripped gear to the rear. This has saved me twice already from having to replace them.
twalace is offline Find More Posts by twalace
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:02 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
They would make great replacements, but u will have to file down the tabs to get them to fit into the servo holders, and reverse them, and turn you rx around. (or if your good with a solder gun, you can change 4 of the connections in each servo and they will operate as stock ones do) But the wk-09-8 "full metal gear servos" I orderd from wowhobbies came with 2 plastic gears in them. Im emailing walkera and wowhobbies about this matter. Hold off on getting them until they resolve this.
Thanks for the info! Are there any servo's that can be used which don't require reversing? Thanks again.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:09 AM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
EXI's
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:15 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twalace View Post
EXI's
It looks like the exi d213-f may be a good replacement, and for cheap. Anyone tried these?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/9gexidimeges.html

Thanks for any insight.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
That's the one I have for a backup. Just a pinch bigger but should work ok with some slight mods.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:27 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
Still Waiting....

Still waiting for #2 and #3 to get here. I'm not pushing the limits with #1 to far until I have back-up.

As far as servos are concerned, I'm still waiting to hear from wowhobbies or walkera-china about the wk-09-8 servos. (advertised as full metal gears, but comes with 2 plastic gears inside)

Can some one tell me which gear/gears are most likely to strip in a servo?

I have a set of Turnigy metal gear servos comeing with one of my shipments, but it sounds like the are 'analog' and not 'digital'. Will they work in the V400?

The only bad thing I hear about the EXI's is the noise.....

After flying my 3ch 9053 volitation and incountering so many problems with it, I'm hopeing and praying the V400's dont frustrate me as much.

I think I'll invest in the best sim money can buy and just fly with that.....

kdean