HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:04 AM
Joined Feb 2011
7 Posts
You know, I just checked youtube, and somebody is flying a gopro with a Volitation 9053...

Also, this thread on how to replace the wide angle lens on a Gopro is good
GoPro Lens Mod (2 min 11 sec)
thad is offline Find More Posts by thad
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:20 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Yes, the 9053 can be made into a camera heli (and has been...Re: Smokes on the 9053 thread), but is extremely limited for outdoor flying. Any sort of a breeze makes it unmanageable. If you read though the 9053 thread, no one has really accomplished forward flight very well, me amongst them, and my 9053s (I have 3 of them) are highly modified as I like to experiment. If you are going to learn to fly RC helis, a 4 channel would be much better, and with the latest gyro technology, they are increasingly getting easier to fly and therefore learn on. Also the transmitter sticks on a 3 channel are in the wrong position and it has to be modified. It really teaches you very little about flying a "real" RC heli. The 9053 is a lot of fun just hovering around, but if you actually want to do something with it, like it sounds you do which entails strong controlled forward flight at more than a walk in no wind conditions, I would recommend against ANY 3 ch.

Just my 2 cents worth.

SpadCat

PS if you decide on the 9053, we will try to help you as much as possible. .
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:32 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,468 Posts
Got my super skids, tail motor fuses, and metal tail supports today, and yes, all the tail support holes dont line up with the frame. Real bummer. I now need to find out what tool I need to use to make the holes longer. I dont have a dremel, but my dads old black & decker drill will do the trick.

What type of bit do i need to streach the holes over a bit?

I also realized I have no spare main blades. When I put the order in at rtf, they were out of the stealth blades. I want some longer/bigger blades, and was thinking about getting some V450 blades...

Or, maybe some foam blades, or wooden. Can someone tell me, what is the difference?

Are heaver blades better for windy conditions? Are foam blades hard to get balanced?

I dont know what I should order.....

Kdean
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:09 PM
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Got my super skids, tail motor fuses, and metal tail supports today, and yes, all the tail support holes dont line up with the frame. Real bummer. I now need to find out what tool I need to use to make the holes longer. I dont have a dremel, but my dads old black & decker drill will do the trick.

What type of bit do i need to streach the holes over a bit?

I also realized I have no spare main blades. When I put the order in at rtf, they were out of the stealth blades. I want some longer/bigger blades, and was thinking about getting some V450 blades...

Or, maybe some foam blades, or wooden. Can someone tell me, what is the difference?

Are heaver blades better for windy conditions? Are foam blades hard to get balanced?

I dont know what I should order.....

Kdean
If you mean to elongate the holes, maybe a side cutting bit of the appropriate size, and any drill motor will work although if you are cutting the frame metal, a high speed tool such as a Dremel works best. Although I am not sure of finding a side cutting bit that small. I thought the tail support was custom made for the V400. I will take a look at it tonight, as I have not tried to install mine yet, but I did install the Super gear and had to mod it a bit to fit.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:24 PM
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
OK, I took a look at the tail boom support mount and also viewed the video at http://fwww.rtf-heli.com/walkera_v40...tallation.html and it clearly shows the piece fitting and there is no mention of any mod being done to it

First thing I am going to do is complain to rtf-heli that the part is defective. Then, if they do not send a new part, I will drill out the holes on the support mount just big enough so the screws have enough room to move to the proper location. We will have to use a pair of small washers so the screw head does not fall though. While this should work, I don't think we should have to mod this piece, as I think they were built to wrong specs and RTF should send us good ones. At $20 plus shipping, it is not a cheap part.

SpadCat
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:43 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,468 Posts
Metal gear servos

V400D02 Brushless Motor & Metal Gear Servos (2 min 51 sec)
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:37 PM
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
I am not sure I like having to heat the servo arm so that it can be bent back. I think I would cut a piece(s) out of square PVC gutter pipe and use it as filler to move the servo back so the arm fits without modification and no potential for binding from the odd angle that is needed to fit into the ball joint. Of course, may need longer servo mounting screws.

SpadCat
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:40 PM
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Hey kdean, I got a reply from RTF-Heli, and they said they did get a batch that the holes were drilled improperly and they gave me an RMA to send it back for a new one. I mentioned I had a friend that had the same problem and they said to have him contact RTF-Heli for an RMA number also.

SpadCat
Old Feb 11, 2011, 07:13 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,468 Posts
Thanx spad,

But to send them back....
4 weeks to get there, 4 weeks to get new ones back.

I think im gunna file or drill the holes myself. Its only off by about 1mm, it shouldent take much to fix.

Thanx for looking out bro....

I did leave a comment on the youtube video they have explaining how to put them on.

kdean
Old Feb 11, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Thanx spad,

But to send them back....
4 weeks to get there, 4 weeks to get new ones back.

I think im gunna file or drill the holes myself. Its only off by about 1mm, it shouldent take much to fix.

Thanx for looking out bro....

I did leave a comment on the youtube video they have explaining how to put them on.

kdean
I was thinking that shipping time would be a problem for you. Drilling a wider hole should work and normally I would do that, but I will not be ready to do any serious heli flying for a couple of weeks.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:13 PM
Joined Jan 2011
48 Posts
Yeah, I didnt bother sending them back. In fact, it bummed me out that they expected me to spend money to return them. Buy yourself a small grinding dremel bit, it will fit in your Dad's drill, and use it to make the hole elongated.
I made my own on/off switch, and it didnt cost me what they ask. Be careful how much you move the servos back, your changing the angle of the linkage.
Oh, and by the way, you dont need washers for the support, your just elongating the hole a very small amount, the nut is plenty big enough, dont forget to Loctite!
Blayd is offline Find More Posts by Blayd
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:30 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,468 Posts
RTF metal replacement servos

http://www.rtf-heli.com/WALKERA_V400D02_MG.html

Not much different to way we've been making servos fit the heli, minor drilling and shaving.

I'm thinking of getting these as well, then my 3helis will have 3 different servo types. (Turnigys, Walkera's, MGs) Then when I find the one that performs the best I'll convert the others.

kdean
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:56 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,468 Posts
Whats wrong with me?

I dont know why but, I can fly the hell out of the sim but as soon as I get the real thing in the air I freeze up and forget left from right, up from down, forward from backward.

I'v been doing a lot of tail in hovers but as soon as I turn to the side its like I lose my mind.

The fear of crashing is holding me back from really flying the way I can on a sim.

I guess it will be this way until I crash it a few times and get used to crashing...

kdean
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:48 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,468 Posts
Tail stray...

So, while doing my basic tail in hovers, I was trying to correct my tail from drifting to the left (nose going right).

I have turned the tail mix pot on the rx all the way to the (-). It has helped, the trim was at 35% now its at 46%. I want my trim to be at 50% (perfect balance).

I'm gunna play with the rudder mix on the tx and see what that does next.

Kdean
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:54 PM
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Nothing is wrong with you....

That is really funny as that is exactly what I am going though. Flying the sim is not easy and after many hours, I feel I am getting pretty good at it, but when I get the V400 in the air, and even though it is easier to hover, when I go into any sort of flight mode, I lose everything I have learned due to fear of crashing and set her down as soon as I safely can. Also, my years of fixed wing flying does not seem to help a whole lot, and actually seems to get in the way at times as those reflexes want to take over.

I feel it is almost the same as playing the guitar right handed for years, and then trying to play a left handed one for the first time live on stage.

SpadCat